• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Steering post stop (bulkhead mount) slop

S
Dec 20, 2009
Lewisville, ID
Just picked up an '07 M1 w/ really, really sloppy steering. There was a lot of movement at the bulkhead mount, so I pulled the post.

You can see from the 1st pic that the "steering post stop (1705-168)" is trashed, the features that interface with the post are almost disintegrated.

photo.jpg

My question is, should the profile on the bottom of the post be square on both sides, not ramping from left to right? I believe it should be in order to act as a stop in both directions (I can't tell from the parts fiche drawing). If so, I'll be replacing both.

photo (1).jpg

Thanks for your input!

Phizzer

Premium Member
Oct 23, 2008
Ketchikan, AK
Yes it should be square. I would be ordering a new plate, post, and would install one of the steering support members from either Wildchild or XXX Modrods, I believe that is who sells them. Definitely want to take care of it before you get a cracked bulkhead.

MT Backcountry

Lifetime Membership
Aug 29, 2008
Montana
Yes on the previous recommendations, I have the 2007 M1000 also from new with 3K+ miles and I've just recently installed the BDX anti slop upper mount and LOVE IT, lower support is important and get the bolt tight to the bulk head. I've replace all the links in the front end and that will tighten it up. No slop now. Also new Post as the lower ball wears too.

S
Dec 20, 2009
Lewisville, ID
Yes it should be square. I would be ordering a new plate, post, and would install one of the steering support members from either Wildchild or XXX Modrods, I believe that is who sells them. Definitely want to take care of it before you get a cracked bulkhead.

New post tab is not square, but has a taper on the left side.

???

photo (3).jpg

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
If you're replacing the plate, replace with any of the reinforcement plates instead of just the stocker.

canadasledparts.com, MMsports, and a few others make plates that will do what you want, and make the sled stronger at the same time.

Premium Features