• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Best Battery

M

MAINJET

Feb 16, 2009
Coeur d Alene
Guys I'm new to snow biking... In fact haven't been yet but my ride is almost ready. My concern is the battery start on my 2014 KTM 450. I have no kick starter to rely on in case my battery fails. Can somebody point me towards the best battery to use?

Thanks, Dennis

Lachoneus

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2009
My experience with same bike

I have the same year/make/model bike as you. Original owner replaced OEM battery with Shorai lithium battery, but cut the heck out of the white plastics in the process, welded on a battery holder, etc. I wasn't happy with that setup because when I went back to tires nothing fit right, so went back to stock battery holder with (I think) YUASA YTZ7S battery which I'm told is about as good as any in that size range. Starts just fine. Does anyone know if Shorai or anyone else makes holders to fit our bikes? There are also quite a few mighty-mite small fit-in-your-coat or pack emergency chargers on the market now also, I carry one of those. So far so good. Recluse clutch owners myself included ought to know how to adjust their clutch manually so you can bump-start if needed in a pinch. Anyone posting a pix of that would be appreciated. Great bike though don't let the no-kick scare you off.

Motogeek33

Lifetime Membership
Jan 23, 2009
North Idaho
Guys I'm new to snow biking... In fact haven't been yet but my ride is almost ready. My concern is the battery start on my 2014 KTM 450. I have no kick starter to rely on in case my battery fails. Can somebody point me towards the best battery to use?

Thanks, Dennis

Along with a reliable battery, I'd also be carrying an Antigravity jump starter. These things are amazing. I have an XP-3 that will jump my bike multiple times and keep my phone charged too.

P

PalousePoo

Nov 26, 2007
Farmington, Wash.
I just upgraded to a WPS Lithium ION battery. It has twice the cold cranking amps as the stock batt in my SXF 450. We'll see how it does. I also carry one of those small jump start batteries for piece of mind.

Premium Features