• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

C3 Battery jumper at battery doesn't work

Yeti854

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 2, 2019
My KTM 450 quit running one the hill. No test equipment with us. Tried to jump start between bikes with C3 jumper setup, NO GO.
Long story........ after that. Back a shop testes voltage out of connector it was 5.9 volts. Battery voltage was runnning at 13.8. Anyone have any answers?
Next step would be cut resistor out of setup.

G-Force

Lifetime Membership
Nov 21, 2002
Kamloops BC
Not sure if it would have anything to do with your problems, but isn't there a "tip over" switch on them? Did you have a lay-over and it quit running?

Yeti854

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 2, 2019
No. My bikes battery died from Light drawing too many watts. When we hooked up bikes to jump
it did not work. After checking back at shop, we realized only 5.98 volts was coming out of jumper harness.
Sucks had to leave bike overnite .

C3 PowerSports

Lifetime Membership
Jan 27, 2010
Sicamous B.C
www.c3powersports.com
You are right the cable will not backfeed through the diodes. If you bypass them it will work like you think but you will need to make sure all the polarities are correct because you will have no protection from short circuit.

K
Dec 9, 2015
Mill City, OR
Can you expand on your response?

I also have the C3 charge pigtail connected to my LiPo battery.

Under what conditions can a guy connect to it with a jump pack or the C3 bike-to-bike cable and expect it to work?

Does the diode back feed issue mean you can use it to connect and jump another bike that is not running the C3 pigtail, but that others will not be able to jump your bike because the diode will prevent proper flow of voltage? Or that a jump pack similarly will not flow the necessary voltage?

Thanks.

GKR

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
C3 can confirm but basically the red box on the C3 set up is a diode. This will allow current to flow to the bike battery from an outside source, like a boost battery, but will not allow current to flow out of the bike battery on the boost harness. prevents a short at the plug or if someone tried to connect something with reverse polarity. Unfortunately it will not allow you to boost from a bike with the C3 boost harness.
Ironically C3 used to make and sell a boost harness, I still have a couple. Unfortunately they do not work unless you cut the diode out. Honestly I would prefer this set up without the diode so I can boost another bike.....

K
Dec 9, 2015
Mill City, OR
I have those cables as well. I had all my buddies set up with the battery harness thinking we could help each other in cass of issues. With our first failure, we learned it didn't work, but just now understanding why? ?

M
Jan 14, 2004
I carry a small set of booster cables that I made up, that way I can give a boost or get one even from a sled, gotta pull the seat off but that takes like 30 seconds so no big deal. If you want to make a jumper setup it isn't rocket science. All the lugs, cables and HD plugs are available at Greggs Distributors for the DIY guy.

M5

jrlastofthebreed

It seemed like a good idea at the time
Lifetime Membership
Oct 24, 2016
Coeur d'Alene ID
Sounds like I need to add a set of aligator clips with a plug so I can plug into my C3 jumper cable. Then I only have to pull 1 seat. Makes sense I just never thought about it i guess.

Yeti854

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 2, 2019
I also learned the 450ktm does not need a battery to run. Also, jumping at starter hot wire directly will work.
It bypasses all wiring and will excite fuel pump when engine turns over.

Last edited:
Premium Features