• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

snowmobikes illegal in MN -see attached

tomk

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2008
I knew it was coming, just didnt know it would be this soon. my thought is to cover up the serial number with some thick enamel paint and claim I built the entire thing:face-icon-small-win or just a build a ground up full bike :face-icon-small-ton

stateregs.JPG

G

grinney

Feb 6, 2010
All theses laws banning our bikes is dumb I'm gonna leave it up to the ranger to decide or just not stop sled doesnt stand a chance in the trees

D

Drewd

Feb 2, 2012
Colorado
www.imnotrightinthehead.com
That sucks! The environmental over zealots are very patient and don't mind "baby" steps in implementing their policies.

Good luck and hopefully you can get the laws changed. Is it possibly a stupid oversight? People in politics don't have a clue outside their little sphere of influence and social circles of like minded individauls. For example, if a single politician in DC mowed their own lawns, the EPA would have never mandated those stupid gas can nozzles that don't work.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2008
I think we all need to flood their phone lines. I know I'm calling on Monday. It's total bs. Why they don't just make you double lisense them is beyond me. It would just be more money for the state. And just define a snowmobile as a machine with a track and ski. That gets rid of atv's with tracks only and who cares about the 20 people that have an atv with tracks on the back and skis on the front. I am getting so sick of this state I just might have to move across the river into nd!!

M
Jan 14, 2004
Seems like this whole ban it all idea is gaining traction in more than just MN. You'd have to think that it would be in Timbersled's best interest to issue some kind of pre-emptive strike with the various state agencies and get their product officially recognized as a snowmobile or whatever or they may find themselves with no available market. Being that they are the manufacturer and are providing jobs and stimulus to the economy they would surely have a greater amount of leverage with the state than a bunch of guys randomly firing off letters which of course wouldn't hurt either.

M5

dirtrebel

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2008
Bozeman, MT
ya where's the manufacturer support? It hurts us recreationalists, but it hurts the manufacturer and dealers alot more when they can't sell product that puts food on the table. I hope they are working behind the scenes more than we see! If I buy a 5-6 thousand dollar attachment from a dealer and then can't ride it I will be a little annoyed! Just like when they sell me a bike and say "no snowbiking is not hard on it" and then when I go to trade it in and up and they say "no we don't want it if its been snowbiked."

Last edited:

dirtrebel

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2008
Bozeman, MT
All theses laws banning our bikes is dumb I'm gonna leave it up to the ranger to decide or just not stop sled doesnt stand a chance in the trees

unfortunately around here I can't get to the trees to leave them in my snowdust if they are waiting for me at the trailhead. if this bs comes to montana I will have to ride new less traveled areas! I don't stand a chance on my bike against a sled at an icy parking lot and a few miles of icy sketchy trail before I can dissapear! I guess if it all boils down I will say " just put it on my tab, whats it like 60 bucks every time u catch me?" fokers!

Last edited:
A

Adobe-Al

Nov 9, 2008
Montrose,Co
What if the bike is titled and plated? It would be kinda funny for you guys to throw an out of state plate on it and throw them the bird:face-icon-small-ton.
Just an idea.

Nov 13, 2008
What if the bike is titled and plated? It would be kinda funny for you guys to throw an out of state plate on it and throw them the bird:face-icon-small-ton.
Just an idea.

I've thought of that. I work in North Dakota and a bunch of the guys I work with live in North Dakota. I might see if they'll license it as a snowmobile and then just have them get an out of state permit for mn. Not sure if it'll work but if one state says its a snowmobile what can they do about it?

W
Nov 26, 2007
Powville, WA and BC
Just a thought. I wonder if the sled mfg's are actually behind some of this. They have to see the snowbike movement and see it as taking business from them at some level. They want to be the one steering the market not an aftermarket business.

powderzone

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2013
Calgary
^^^ THIS.
In any case, get on the phones with local politicians in states / municipalities where snow bikes haven't yet been added to the definition of snowmobiles. I would also lobby with your local snowmobile association to see what they can do.

S
Jan 12, 2013
http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=383985&highlight=legal

On the thread above I posted the information about the law suit requiring the US Forest service to start managing snowmobile use. I imagine that is filtering down to the states. At least someone at the federal level got smart and didn't exclude snowbikes by their definition (originally it did exclude them). I think this is going to get worse before it gets better, and if we don't make our voice heard we're going to lose riding locations FAST.

Also we need to give ourselves a good name by using exhausts that meet USFS guidelines, which I believe is below 96 db. Please guys, no one likes your loud bike except you.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
I know in MT they have been slowly reworking the definition of a snowmobile based on the whole snowbike market blowing up but nothing official has been done.

Still a grey area out here.

S
Jan 27, 2012
MN OHM License Plate

Certification Checklist - Off-Highway Motorcycle

You can get can plate your bike with just a few things Headlight, Tail/Brake light, (1)Mirror, and Horn (could be a kids bicycle horn) but you cant register your kit to run on the snowmobile trails this is BS. What if the trail in the summer time is OHM also like around the Nemadji trails. (riders from MN would know were this is)

Couple years ago I was thinking of plating my CRF450X when I got my OHM trail sticker. The lady said just fill out the checklist form and good to go with out even seeing if I had my bike set up with the required items.

I've been designing and testing a track kit that I was going manufacture and sell working with FAST using the M10 suspension but now this throws a wrench in my plan since I live in MN. I'm checking with a friend that's a DNR for Fond Du Lac if there's ways around this.

Ill post if I find out anything new.

off road rider

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2008
Kent Wa
Just a thought. I wonder if the sled mfg's are actually behind some of this. They have to see the snowbike movement and see it as taking business from them at some level. They want to be the one steering the market not an aftermarket business.

Polaris had a Snowhawk in hands in 04, they saw the single ski market as a fad that would pass,:becky: well the jokes on them, If they wanted to I imagine they could do a kit or ground up machine, but as we all know they like to buy up existing businesses, Rather than taking the more difficult path.

You guys affected by this should be yelling your heads off, finally wa state got something correct and defines a snowmobile as any vehicle with a track for propulsion and a ski for steering. That eliminates the atv/ utv tracked vehicles.

Good luck, so painful to see..

tomk

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2008
up until this year that was the MN definition too!:noidea: next question is what will the fine be to ride it and how can I register a home made snowmobile :face-icon-small-win

S
Jan 27, 2012
Well I heard back from my friend that's a DNR. We can thank our ATV and UTV friends with tracks for ruining it for us. His words ( People were in a uproar over track vehicles on trails saying it was wrecking them ) But he did say if you have your OHM sticker and your not on a designated snowmobile trail ( ditch pounding :face-icon-small-win ) you can run that with out getting a ticket. Is there anyone from WI that's registered there kits. I see there wording is similar to MN but doesn't call out OHM on the list for after market track vehicle.

kinneyt

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Red Wing, MN
Well I heard back from my friend that's a DNR. We can thank our ATV and UTV friends with tracks for ruining it for us. His words ( People were in a uproar over track vehicles on trails saying it was wrecking them ) But he did say if you have your OHM sticker and your not on a designated snowmobile trail ( ditch pounding :face-icon-small-win ) you can run that with out getting a ticket. Is there anyone from WI that's registered there kits. I see there wording is similar to MN but doesn't call out OHM on the list for after market track vehicle.

Im in MN and know of a bunch of guys in WI that ride trails. What would happen if we registered with a WI snowmobile and then paid the out of state trail pass to ride MN?

I have a road legal plate and OHM sticker for my bike. What sucks is that a trail runs right through my property and I like to get the family loaded up on the old Indy (I ride the snowbike) and ride four miles to a local restaurant for lunch, the kids think this is the coolest thing in the world. Now I cannt ride the snowbike there and it is to much to fit myself, my wife and two kids on the Indy to get lunch. I already got in trouble last year for letting my son ride his 120 on the trail to this restaurant.

Premium Features