• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

hard to find good googles?

rmking700

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2014
Utah
anyone have any recommendations ? really need a good set it gets dangerous riding at night and not being able to see through the fogging pos I have now. not wanting to spend a ton but definitely need a good pair

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
I use 509 X5s with a clear lens for riding at night. Works really well. However, my absolute favorite goggles are Scott Tyrant Snowcross. Significantly better than even 509 and you can find them on Ebay for about $55. I rode at night with them last year and they worked well. They have a lightly tinted rose lens that works in just about any kind of light. The Scott's also have a nice nose adjustment feature and a huge foam surround. The only downside is the hokey snap on nose guard. I don't use it because it just gets in the way and comes unsnapped all the time. If I had a clear lens for them, I'd wear them 100% of the time.

M
Dec 17, 2011
Spy Targa II have been working well for me. Look around online and you can typically get 2 pair for what a single set of the 509, etc cost. My last couple pair came with an extra lens each too.

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
If your fogging up that bad with multiple goggles your getting to warm. It's not the goggles fault. I had that same issue years ago and no matter what I was trying they fogged up on me till I stumbled onto a thread here about it. If you are fogging up multiple brands of goggles trying dressing with less layers or lighter layers. I'm not saying you need to be cold. But if you are getting super warm all that heat is escaping from your head and fogging your goggles. I made some changes so my layering and I'm still plenty warm while riding but can grab any brand of goggle now are run with them. Sure there is a couple brands I think still fog earlier then others. But for the most part I can put any on and ride with no fogging. Try the layers or try some of the helmets / balaclavas that are lighter or breath better.

Good Luck.

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
Its all about how they fit. So many people have issues and always say its the goggles fault. The truth is thats rarely the case. The goggle frame and foam need to fit your helmet and face. The key is to keep the snow AND your breath out of the goggles. Also dont be afraid to modify them for your needs. Trim the nose piece or add some foam to make them seal. you can buy some very nice quality foam for a couple bucks at lowes / home depot in the department that has foam sealing kits for doors and windows. Then cut them to shape, use a little spray glue and then apply to the area there are gaps. Works great and will last for years.
A breath guard that fits well will also make this set up work even better.
I wear nothing at all on my head under my helmet down to about zero, then a thin layer for colder temps.
I can leave my helmet and goggles on while digging out a stock sled and not fog at all.
Get the right set up and just about any goggle will work and make riding so much more enjoyable. Eric

rags319

Lifetime Membership
Dec 14, 2009
Cedar Rapids, Ia
I like the Scott with the oversized foam. You can trim it to fit helmet and get a good seal. I have the scott tyrant with fly f2 helmet and have good luck

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
For the price either the DareDevil's (forum member MikeMetzgar) or check out the Stage Goggle thread and the discount we get from JustinB? (also a forum member). Hard to pass up at about $50 a pair.

Note: We have not got enough snow here to actually try them out but I'm pleased with the quality / value.

rmking700

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2014
Utah
stole some scotts from a buddy not sure what model but im gonna try them today with a 509 fan I got from my dealer yesterday. merry Christmas to me! hope they work!

Bubba

Lifetime Membership
Sep 19, 2008
turkey ridge sd
Buy The Eliminator fan

All my goggles were fogging up on me no matter what I tried. I then attached The Eliminator Fan from Haber Vision. It will attach to any goggles. It has an automatic feature that kicks the fan on to pull the heat/humidity out of your goggles or a setting where it is on all the time. It doesn't blow in on you-it pulls the humidity from your sweating out of the goggles. Got one for Bubba last year and he likes it too. The fan is really light too. Runs on AA battery and easy to attach to your goggles. The only bad thing is the battery door likes to fall off so duct tape the bitch.:face-icon-small-hap
Mrs Bubba

rmk8000

Lifetime Membership
Jan 22, 2013
saskatchewan canada
For the price either the DareDevil's (forum member MikeMetzgar) or check out the Stage Goggle thread and the discount we get from JustinB? (also a forum member). Hard to pass up at about $50 a pair.

Note: We have not got enough snow here to actually try them out but I'm pleased with the quality / value.

I have used my stage goggles for a few rides and I really liked them. I would recommend a breath deflector though because they can fog on the outside of the lenses. It was -20ºC yesterday so I tucked my balaclava under the goggles to stay warm and they didn't fog once.

CROW

Lifetime Membership
Jul 25, 2002
Michigan
Got a chance to try out a new pair of Triple 9 Saints this weekend. The first day was warmer (30*) with wet, heavy snow and the second day colder (20*) with a lot of dry, powdery snow. The Saints performed great. No fog, no freezing. I wore them with a thin Klim head sock and my XXL Fly Carbon Dubstep helmet.
0270010c95659cac0ed1f6e6bf6e51fd.jpg

GreenState

Lifetime Membership
Feb 28, 2012
McCall
I've found that it really doesn't matter how nice your goggles are if you don't have some kind of breath deflector.

The Klim Arctic balaclava has one built in. This is my go to balaclava when it's colder than cold.

S
Mar 10, 2014
Colorado Springs
I don't think there is a 100% solution to the dreaded "fogged goggle" problem.
It doesn't matter what goggles I wear (I currently have 509 Aviators and love them) but I have never fogged goggles up to where it was a severe issue. Hot, cold, stuck, warm weather, cold weather, it doesn't matter. My goggles don't get foggy. Maybe my helmet fits exceptionally well, or my facial features are optimized for deflecting fog away from goggles through years of selective breeding, good genetics, and evolutionary adaptation.

Being dressed too warmly might cause it, but I can blow a hole in that theory, because my wife was freezing her a$$ off yesterday, put on a pair of goggles, and immediately had a f*ckin emotional breakdown because the goggles fogged up ten seconds later.

I'm a diver by trade. We use this sh*t called Sea Gold to keep dive masks from fogging. I don't think it will work in sled goggles because it's goo, and you have to rinse it. But maybe if you smeared a little on there and let it dry??? Might work. I dunno. Not being able to see where you're going would definitely suck.

Edit* I do fog up dive masks, because your nose is in there... Thusly, Sea Gold. Available at every dive shop I've ever been into.

Last edited:
Premium Features