• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

MTNTK TURBO

R
Aug 30, 2008
I rode with a MTNTK and the max they could run at 10000' was 8 lbs. They ran out of injector. I was told that the stock ECU is incapable of adding additional injectors. So your kinda toast if you want to run more than 8 PSI.

My Boondocker kit at 8 PSI ran circles around it. It wasnt even a competition. I ran 91 octane as well.

I am uncertain why my sled ran so much better, but the fact is, it did! Especially in very deep snow where track speed was needed. It could be heat related, as his turbo mounted right to the air box, his clutching could have been off.

He told me anything over 8 PSI, his det sensor would go off and shut his sled down. This would be really bad, if that happened in the middle of a chute. Or on a really steep side hill above cliffs or rocks.

I would much rather spend 7500.00 to have the capacity for additional injectors, and to have the control of tuning my fuel measurements.

Boondocker has been fantastic to work with! And I absolutely love my Turbo Kit!!

D
Nov 14, 2013
I rode with a MTNTK and the max they could run at 10000' was 8 lbs. They ran out of injector. I was told that the stock ECU is incapable of adding additional injectors. So your kinda toast if you want to run more than 8 PSI.

My Boondocker kit at 8 PSI ran circles around it. It wasnt even a competition. I ran 91 octane as well.

I am uncertain why my sled ran so much better, but the fact is, it did! Especially in very deep snow where track speed was needed. It could be heat related, as his turbo mounted right to the air box, his clutching could have been off.

He told me anything over 8 PSI, his det sensor would go off and shut his sled down. This would be really bad, if that happened in the middle of a chute. Or on a really steep side hill above cliffs or rocks.

I would much rather spend 7500.00 to have the capacity for additional injectors, and to have the control of tuning my fuel measurements.

Boondocker has been fantastic to work with! And I absolutely love my Turbo Kit!!

I do not know much about the bullydog ecu but I would think the fix would be to run larger injectors, like we do with the vipec. With the HM kit anything over 6psi requires going to larger injectors as you hit 100% duty cycle before 7psi. I'd spend a little more and get a vipec ;)

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
When talking with Shawn at MTNTK early fall, he stated that they are still working on a higher boost/larger injector setup.

R
Aug 30, 2008
Boy, I am sure glad I spent 7,500.00 on a set up that allows me to turn my boost up to 14 PSI, instead of waiting to have it RnD'd and then try to work all the bugs out.

It's seems crazy to me, that MTNTK would come out with a turbo that has been tested at the sand dunes all summer and promise big results, and only deliver 8psi.

Where they spent so much time last winter and at the sand dunes, I would have thought that they would have had a set up that would demand big nuts to ride....something that could have been for the young and old, the slow and fast, but from what I saw, a guy who was disappointed, and his exact words: "I wish I would have got a Boondocker"

Not trying to start a bash, or offend, but just stating the facts.

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
Well any of you guys or you're friend with a MTNTK turbo kit and not happy with it. pm me and we can work out a deal.

J

Jimb

Dec 1, 2007
I rode with a MTNTK and the max they could run at 10000' was 8 lbs. They ran out of injector. I was told that the stock ECU is incapable of adding additional injectors. So your kinda toast if you want to run more than 8 PSI!!

8 psi at 10000 ft is only 3.6 psi absolute pressure equivalent back down at sea level surely the stock injectors can handle that no?

D
Nov 14, 2013
8 psi at 10000 ft is only 3.6 psi absolute pressure equivalent back down at sea level surely the stock injectors can handle that no?

What kind of altitude compensation does this kit have? It makes claim to have absolute pressure control, therefore boost level would be raised to compensate for pressure loss due to elevation? 8psi @ sealevel would be too much for the stock injectors from what I have been told. Any correction to this is welcome, still fairly new to the turbo game. Was the sled still only producing 8psi of boost @ 10,000ft? Of note the HM kit is intercooled so therefore maybe 8spi is ok with stock injectors without an intercooler? (hm claims you gain the equivalent hp that 2.5lbs of boost produces @ the same psi due to lower charge temps)

Last edited:
R
Aug 30, 2008

If your math is correct, then this is even a bigger problem for MTNTK. According to the guy that had his turbo kit, he couldn't run anymore than 8 PSI. It sent it into LIMP mode. Had to reset the ECU several times until he ran below 8 PSI. This was all ran at 10,000-11,000 ft.

So if he can only run 3.5 absolute pressure at 10,000 ft, then that MTNTK Kit would not be worth the money. A RKT BB would be better.

J

Jimb

Dec 1, 2007
At 10,000 ft air pressure is 10.1 psi so plus 8 is 18.1.

At sea level air pressure is 14.7 psi so + 3.4 makes same absolute pressure of 18.1.

If you are showing 8 psi on a boost gauge at 10000 you are the same power as 3.4psi on the gauge at sea level, if you figure 7hp per pound of boost then 8 psi at 10,000 ft making 165hp sled.

D
Nov 14, 2013
At 10,000 ft air pressure is 10.1 psi so plus 8 is 18.1.

At sea level air pressure is 14.7 psi so + 3.4 makes same absolute pressure of 18.1.

If you are showing 8 psi on a boost gauge at 10000 you are the same power as 3.4psi on the gauge at sea level, if you figure 7hp per pound of boost then 8 psi at 10,000 ft making 165hp sled.

So what happened to the claim of Altitude compensation?
If the kit is tuned for 8psi @ sea level, 14.7+8=22.7
Then with altitude compensation @ 10,000ft 22.7-10.1= 12.6psi to reach the same power.

sledhead9825

Lifetime Membership
Nov 4, 2013
What happened to the claim ? " Best turbo kit no matter what the price"
Anyone can make claims.....

V

Vi-PEC Powersports

Aug 17, 2011
CANADA
So what happened to the claim of Altitude compensation?
If the kit is tuned for 8psi @ sea level, 14.7+8=22.7
Then with altitude compensation @ 10,000ft 22.7-10.1= 12.6psi to reach the same power.

Asked the same question back in october and still no answer as of today...why? I am not sure but i think the turbo industry is not turned upside down yet.

Vi-pec Powersports

likkerpig

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
But due to the thinner air and same power, wouldn't it use close to the same fuel?

I'm not well versed in turbos, but thinner air is replaced by more psi/air flow from the turbo to "compensate" for higher elevations. Thinner air shouldn't factor in because the turbo "should" up boost to maintain consistent power. Fuel consumption should remain consistent for a given hp level, assuming the turbo compensates for altitude, either up or down.

Right?

2Quickrides

Lifetime Membership
Nov 11, 2012
Edmonton
That's what I was thinking (again being fairly clueless on turbos), the turbo ups the boost at higher elevations but the same amount of air and fuel is still going through due to the difference in atmospheric pressure.

10.1 psi plus 8, or 14.7 psi plus 3.4 is still just 18.1 psi of fuel and air going through the motor.

So am I wrong in thinking that if the fuel system can do 8 psi at sea level it should be capable of doing 12.6 (theoretically of course) up top?

V

Vi-PEC Powersports

Aug 17, 2011
CANADA
That's what I was thinking (again being fairly clueless on turbos), the turbo ups the boost at higher elevations but the same amount of air and fuel is still going through due to the difference in atmospheric pressure.

10.1 psi plus 8, or 14.7 psi plus 3.4 is still just 18.1 psi of fuel and air going through the motor.

So am I wrong in thinking that if the fuel system can do 8 psi at sea level it should be capable of doing 12.6 (theoretically of course) up top?

That is pretty much it. There is a few variables interfering but theoricly that is right.

Vi-pec Powersports

2Quickrides

Lifetime Membership
Nov 11, 2012
Edmonton
So then how much boost at sea level can the stock fuel system handle?

I have a hard time believing they'd release a product after 2 years of testing that could only do 3-4lbs of boost at sea level.

What's the limit of a typical non-intercooled kit on pump gas at sea level?

V

Vi-PEC Powersports

Aug 17, 2011
CANADA
So then how much boost at sea level can the stock fuel system handle?

5.5psi pretty much maxing out your injectors(85%-95% duty cycle) with no aux.injectors

I have a hard time believing they'd release a product after 2 years of testing that could only do 3-4lbs of boost at sea level.

me too!

What's the limit of a typical non-intercooled kit on pump gas at sea level?

i am running 8-9 psi (absolute---reading from the MAP sensor) on 91 pump gas with 1000cc injectors and intercooled.
On a non intercooled setup with such a quick spinning turbo, the mtntk is producing charge temp around 85 Celsius(it is a good guess from what we have seen on all non intercooled setup) so the stock ECU start to pull fuel and timming and the rest is history we all already know.

nytro41

Premium Member
Oct 11, 2008
Some where in the hills ID
I have run up to 8 pounds of boost at 14000 feet on the kit. i had to exchange my injectors for 1000cc to run the fuel. i dont like the aux injectors. had some on my brothers cat and I couldnt get them to work. extra set means extra problems to me. i dont understand fuelin that well but i have ridden in togwotee which i think gets up around 13500 to 14000 feet then up in Soda springs which i think is 8000 feet or so. (could be wrong haha) and i havent had to adjust my sled at all. my.02

adam5187

Lifetime Membership
Nov 14, 2009
I'm not sure about there tuning but I run the new Silber kit and it has the larger injectors and I run 9-10# at 1850' and it works well, not flawless it still has room to get better. I would think that they will switch up to larger injectors if they want to stay competitive. Just my 2 cents. Yeah I forgot to mention that's on straight av. I have not tried pump.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Premium Features