• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Finished Silber install : high idle problems

T

TurboMatt

Mar 23, 2008
I finished installing my kit tonight. I have issues though. I haven't gotten a chance to call Silber yet.
My idle is really high. It idles at around 3000rpm's. Actually it surges up and down between 2500 & 3000(the a/f's follow the rpm's, the higher the rpm the leaner it shows, at 3000rpm its at about 15.5afr) Every once in a while when I start it up it will idle normal for awhile, then when I give it some gas it revs up and idles high. I have been over all the vac hose connections on the billet boot a couple times and that all looks good. I don't know whats going on. Another thing I did try: I unhooked the control box at the injector harness and hooked the injector harness back together stock. When I fire it up this way the sled still idles high, about 2500rpm's, but its rock solid there , no surging like before. I don't know whats up with that.
Is it possible that my idle speed just needs to be adjusted? That seems strange. I didn't adjust my throttle at all in the process of the install. I did unhook the cable, but I have it back on correctly. I checked that a couple times. I also checked my throttle free play, that looks the same as before the install as well.
Has anyone experienced or heard of any issues like this? Any other ideas? Any help is appreciated.

trickedout700

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2004
Great Falls, MT
My buddy just installed his kit and the same thing occurred. He screwed with his throttle cable and it must of been hung up. It was a quick fix so hopefully that's all that's wrong with yours. Let me know what u find.

gmustangt

Lifetime Membership
Aug 10, 2009
mine was doing the same thing, seems some of these sleds just have irratic idles, mine got better after i got some riding on it.

Liv4snow

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Paterson Wa
Mine did the same thing last year untill i got 4 or 5 hrs on it then it quit doing it. That was on a boondocker setup.

T

TurboMatt

Mar 23, 2008
I guess I'm gonna give 'er the 'ole WOT treatment this weekend then and see if that solves the problem. I will report back.
I don't think its a leak because the sled is physically capable of idling normal. Last night I started it up outside the shop & it idled normal. As long as I didn't touch the throttle AT ALL it was fine. After 15 min of so warming up and it still idling normal I blipped the throttle a little, that was it: it went to high idle mode and Never came back down.

Boston Racing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colorado Springs, CO
Check to make sure the throttle cable is routed right and not pinched between the airbox and head. It should idle just like stock. If it doesnt, find out why.

M

mngoat

Nov 26, 2007
Minnesota
Had an 08 dragon setup that did exactly what yours is doing when i ran it in Minnesota....exactly what yours is doing to a "t".... never did find the reason why(even after hours and days of trying different things)....but strange thing is when i had it out west...yellowstone...cook...towgatee.....idled great without changeing a thing from here to there. Don't know why......never ran the sled much in MN so i didn't worry much about as it worked great out west. Post if you do find something.

Boston Racing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colorado Springs, CO
Something is wrong......I wouldnt ride it until you figure it out.

Mine idles normal and yours should too.

I finished installing my kit tonight. I have issues though. I haven't gotten a chance to call Silber yet.
My idle is really high. It idles at around 3000rpm's. Actually it surges up and down between 2500 & 3000(the a/f's follow the rpm's, the higher the rpm the leaner it shows, at 3000rpm its at about 15.5afr) Every once in a while when I start it up it will idle normal for awhile, then when I give it some gas it revs up and idles high. I have been over all the vac hose connections on the billet boot a couple times and that all looks good. I don't know whats going on. Another thing I did try: I unhooked the control box at the injector harness and hooked the injector harness back together stock. When I fire it up this way the sled still idles high, about 2500rpm's, but its rock solid there , no surging like before. I don't know whats up with that.
Is it possible that my idle speed just needs to be adjusted? That seems strange. I didn't adjust my throttle at all in the process of the install. I did unhook the cable, but I have it back on correctly. I checked that a couple times. I also checked my throttle free play, that looks the same as before the install as well.
Has anyone experienced or heard of any issues like this? Any other ideas? Any help is appreciated.

gmustangt

Lifetime Membership
Aug 10, 2009
Something is wrong......I wouldnt ride it until you figure it out.

Mine idles normal and yours should too.

These sleds have a mind of there own sometimes, as many others stated there rpms are all over the map at idle.

Mine when i first started went from 1800-2400 up and down up and down.

Called silber he told me this is a common thing with these sleds and that i should just ride it, and keep an eye on it, and that it should get better after time.

I rode it now it idles normal after riding it.

was yours brand new matt?

what about yours boston?

Last edited:

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
These sleds have a mind of there own sometimes, as many others stated there rpms are all over the map at idle.

Mine when i first started went from 1800-2400 up and down up and down.

Called silber he told me this is a common thing with these sleds and that i should just ride it, and keep an eye on it, and that it should get better after time.

I rode it now it idles normal after riding it.

was yours brand new matt?

what about yours boston?

BR's sled had 0 miles on it when the turbo went on.

Boston Racing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colorado Springs, CO
It idling 200 or 300 rpm off while its cold is fine. What you described is the sled not returning to a regular idle after you give it gas. That is a problem.

T

TurboMatt

Mar 23, 2008
I'll report back when I get back from the weekend. We are heading up to the U.P. to do some testing. Silber says I need to run it, so that's what I'm gonna do.
Obviously I'll proceed cautiously.

B

barry1me

Mar 12, 2009
MI
I'll report back when I get back from the weekend. We are heading up to the U.P. to do some testing. Silber says I need to run it, so that's what I'm gonna do.
Obviously I'll proceed cautiously.

Where in up? Didn't know any snow was up there.

T

TurboMatt

Mar 23, 2008
I got to ride the sled this weekend. Rode it for 2 days, prob 80 miles. No change in the idle situation. The sled ripped hard and ran fine otherwise.
I'd say about 20% of the time it idles normal, the other 80% it idles anywhere from 2600rpm's to 3900rpm's.
Could it be a TPS issue? Is there anyway of checking the tps without the digital wrench?
One other issue, the reverse doesn't work(even when its idling normal). I have to check though, maybe I forgot to plug it in????

Premium Features