• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Arctic Cat Snow Bike

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
Since some one brought up the ski I took a few pics of what a one ski mountain ski should resemble . It's unsinkable to the point you wish it would when the back end starts trenching . Even with all the hard wear the front glides on the snow like a Zamboni refreshed arena . The point is to take note of the design , something that is more along the line performing like a tire .

IMG_20150907_134321_335.jpg IMG_20150907_134405_374.jpg IMG_20150907_134532_216.jpg IMG_20150907_134724_519.jpg

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Why the double front ski? I admit, it looks cool, but I'm not sure how it'll stack up to be honest.

Some dirtbikes won't even be able to run that style ski setup due to SFF (Compression and rebound not being in the same fork). And the belt drive is meh, it could be slightly lighter, but I still don't think it would be as reliable as a chain.

Mostly just like the idea of the ski's operating independently to a point. Seems in low snow this would be much less twitchy.
And the sff forks wouldn't have to be used on a dedicated snowbike.
I'm talking ready made to submerge in pow, not a conversion.

I don't care about belt drive or chain.
I only mentioned cvt primary drive.
As much fun as shifting is, just hammering the throttle isn't bad either.

Last edited:
U
Sep 12, 2010
Since some one brought up the ski I took a few pics of what a one ski mountain ski should resemble . It's unsinkable to the point you wish it would when the back end starts trenching . Even with all the hard wear the front glides on the snow like a Zamboni refreshed arena . The point is to take note of the design , something that is more along the line performing like a tire .

How does that hold an edge compared to the Timbersled/Simmons ski? Have you ridden with someone on one to do a side by side comparison?

I was suprised when I had a hawk ski how much better the TS ski could hold a line, so now I run that.

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
How does that hold an edge compared to the Timbersled/Simmons ski? Have you ridden with someone on one to do a side by side comparison?

I was suprised when I had a hawk ski how much better the TS ski could hold a line, so now I run that.

LOL , when it comes to holding an edge that above ski is the king of face plants . TS/S has the best friendly ski out there for holding an edge and on the Hawks it's like having power steering .

Haven't been able to try a Yeti ski , but hoping too .

My favorite is still the Gen II for a couple of reason , one is that it has virtually no resistance in the good stuff and it's true to the name Flexi Ski .

Out of curiosity did you use the twin axis plate and the trackers on the ski you used ? And if you used the trackers which way where they mounted ?

The diagram where it says deep powder , ignore it , there is no such thing as deep powder with this ski .

It is a trail ripping performance ski .

IMG_20150914_074501_444-1.jpg

mrquick68

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2004
Kirkland, WA
looks like we are getting off topic a touch, so i'll get back to what this all about.

An OEM Snow bike tease!!!

Yes please. Sign me up :)

Whether or not Arctic Cat is using a Sherco and some homemade/one off kit - i could care less. I think its IMPORTANT that they are showcasing a single ski solution. that means they are thinking about it and thinking about an offering in the future. What they need to hear from us is YES - we are stoked they are thinking about it and we are stoked that they considering building/selling this setup.

now, whether or not you like AC, who cares. That's not the point! :)

SO, AC - if you are reading this - continuing moving forward and build a snowbike!!! No CVT for me pls. Unless you can fit in the cases and it doesn't rob power and weigh a **** ton! And along with everyone else - make it a 2 stroke with some BALLZ!!!

Remember, snowbikes are working great and catching on, in a way that snowhawks never did. It's because they are light and fun and can go anywhere. Keep them LIGHT!

E

eskimojoe77

Nov 30, 2011
Arctic cat needs this engine

AC please think about dropping Sherco and go with Maico. A modernized version of their 700cc 2-stroke would be very welcomed.

U
Sep 12, 2010
LOL , when it comes to holding an edge that above ski is the king of face plants . TS/S has the best friendly ski out there for holding an edge and on the Hawks it's like having power steering .

Haven't been able to try a Yeti ski , but hoping too .

My favorite is still the Gen II for a couple of reason , one is that it has virtually no resistance in the good stuff and it's true to the name Flexi Ski .

Out of curiosity did you use the twin axis plate and the trackers on the ski you used ? And if you used the trackers which way where they mounted ?

The diagram where it says deep powder , ignore it , there is no such thing as deep powder with this ski .

It is a trail ripping performance ski .

I used the twin axis, but kept it locked in the deep stuff. The trackers came in the outboard position and I left them there.

The ski does rip on hardpack.

lundracing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 14, 2011
Rolla, ND
Ok, let's say cat is watching. Here is what u need to do to hit a home run. Go out and buy maico update the 700 two stoke with fuel injection. Go out and buy yeti before skidoo gets them. Package them in a sweet lime green package with a 15000 price tag. Sell the summer kit as an accessory for an extra 2 k. Bam you got a hit. No need to thank me. Now let's get her done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tomk

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2008
The pictures in the link show a skid that looks like it is blow-molded plastic, with one visible shock on the out side edge, I would assume there is one on the other side as well. very out side the box thinking, love it! there has been a lot of rumors over the past 6 years of snowbiking, I think it is finally coming to reality. It may not be right now but soon! The big 4 have way more $$ for R&D than any of us could imagine. I bet the future of snow bikes will look very different than current versions!

with one visible shock on the out side edge, I would assume there is one on the other side as well- after further review I have decided it looks like a coil spring on the far side... interesting

Last edited:

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
I'm seeing one center extrovert driver. (Based on the track windows)

The skid could be aluminum as it looks like a weld seam maybe by the rear arm.

Single center torsion spring?

Or two skinny ones.

52cd160d54c881c0a5c9f9d92bce9871.jpg

cce2e3316ba730df17e61ba528a1591c.jpg

2e905e8df344572a1aa0b2058cebb9a3.jpg

52bbb022b33a4113b9986a77ceeec705.jpg

Last edited:

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Does this look like it? Cat did patent this a gew weeks ago! Im guessing that this is the suspension in the Cat bike!!

From what I understand this is the skid it is using, single rail skid with camo flex edge track. Which would make sense based on the pics above with the single track windows in the center of the track with center track clips.

Last edited:

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
So , in a way the single rail not only centralizes the torque and contact patch with the flex track it is also the best simulation of a tire not to mention the rail is more like a single arm swing .That thing should rip not to mention be nimble .

Way to go Cat !

S
Feb 15, 2015
CO, western slope
So , in a way the single rail not only centralizes the torque and contact patch with the flex track it is also the best simulation of a tire not to mention the rail is more like a single arm swing .That thing should rip not to mention be nimble .

Way to go Cat !

Yeah there seems to be more to it, that we didn't notice with the initial photos. Glad to see they have something innovative going on, whether it proves itself or not, should be a good thing.

mrquick68

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2004
Kirkland, WA
this is awesome! I love the innovation and involvement we are starting to see here. Fantastic!

Let's start throwing out some ideas if cat/poo are looking. what really makes sense for a purpose built snowbike. for the sake of argument, lets suggest it will be for SNOW only.

-2 stroke, DI or semi DI (like poo's HO motor)
-single cylinder - 500cc give or take. Something like 75hp would be perfect. (the idea of a twin is cool, and it would be vibrate way less, but i think the crank would start getting too heavy and take away a lot of fun). Design a single with a balance shaft?
-e-start
-6 speed preferred. Close ratio box with higher 6th gear for trail cruising if possible.
-KEEP IT LIGHT! That's the name of the game. KTM's 450sxf is down right close to 225lbs w/out fuel now. Don't use some heavy trail bike like item to start with.
-use light weight LED lighting front and rear
-equip it with hand warmers
-Keep the dirt bike look
-enclose the engine, but keep it easy to get at.
-keel the fuel tank usably sized. 3 gallons tops. Include a gas rack and sell a caddy as accessory. no one wants a huge top heavy tank way up high on a snow bike.
-pay attention to the seat height!!!

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
I doubt you will ever see a 2-stroke. If it is the Sherco 450 it is right about the same weight as the 2015 ktm 450. A large 3+ gallon tank from the factory would be awesome

S
Feb 15, 2015
CO, western slope
this is awesome! I love the innovation and involvement we are starting to see here. Fantastic!

Let's start throwing out some ideas if cat/poo are looking. what really makes sense for a purpose built snowbike. for the sake of argument, lets suggest it will be for SNOW only.

-2 stroke, DI or semi DI (like poo's HO motor)
-single cylinder - 500cc give or take. Something like 75hp would be perfect. (the idea of a twin is cool, and it would be vibrate way less, but i think the crank would start getting too heavy and take away a lot of fun). Design a single with a balance shaft?
-e-start
-6 speed preferred. Close ratio box with higher 6th gear for trail cruising if possible.
-KEEP IT LIGHT! That's the name of the game. KTM's 450sxf is down right close to 225lbs w/out fuel now. Don't use some heavy trail bike like item to start with.
-use light weight LED lighting front and rear
-equip it with hand warmers
-Keep the dirt bike look
-enclose the engine, but keep it easy to get at.
-keel the fuel tank usably sized. 3 gallons tops. Include a gas rack and sell a caddy as accessory. no one wants a huge top heavy tank way up high on a snow bike.
-pay attention to the seat height!!!

What's the point in keeping the gas tank in a standard motorcycle position? With a snow bike, a lot of possibilities open up if the manufacturer has people thinking outside the box. You need a lot of fuel, so put it somewhere that works to begin with.

SuperchargedWS6

Lifetime Membership
Nov 14, 2010
I can't believe a company would build a dedicated snowbike and make it basically the same as the conversion kits out there. You've got a chance for a fresh slate and all you do is copy.

Now, the single rail skid looks interesting and will likely be an advancement, but that still only appears incremental to me.

Dirt bikes are built with 450's as that seems to be a pretty good power to weight for bikes on tires. You can always use more with a track and they didn't address that. A bit of a letdown there.

Also, they didn't address other issues like shrouding the engine. Doesn't seem to make sense either.

If you are giving up the ability to dual use the bike (winter/summer) there would have to be some good benefits in going to a dedicated snow bike, and they seem to have missed that.

I hope they are watching these forums, for the next iteration of this bike.

I am very excited that OEM's are starting to play in this market. It is only going to be better in the next few years. Here's hoping for that 100hp two stroke :)

E
Oct 21, 2008
flat lander MN
I can't believe a company would build a dedicated snowbike and make it basically the same as the conversion kits out there. You've got a chance for a fresh slate and all you do is copy.

Now, the single rail skid looks interesting and will likely be an advancement, but that still only appears incremental to me.

Dirt bikes are built with 450's as that seems to be a pretty good power to weight for bikes on tires. You can always use more with a track and they didn't address that. A bit of a letdown there.

Also, they didn't address other issues like shrouding the engine. Doesn't seem to make sense either.

If you are giving up the ability to dual use the bike (winter/summer) there would have to be some good benefits in going to a dedicated snow bike, and they seem to have missed that.

I hope they are watching these forums, for the next iteration of this bike.

I am very excited that OEM's are starting to play in this market. It is only going to be better in the next few years. Here's hoping for that 100hp two stroke :)

why do u say they are giving up the ability to switch back and fourth? no reason U cant buy as a snow bike . then buy the summer kit for it

Premium Features