• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Hello

meathooker

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2008
Boise, ID
i have time on an IQr with a 121" and a single pipe 685 with holz suspension and a 155" IQr with a 797 and holz suspension. the biggest thing for me is the stability. the iqr is so tough; and pounds the trail like nothing else. it is really stable when jumping and keeping a quick pace boondocking. it is super easy to side hill; especially going down hill then cutting in and turning back up. the only downside i've noticed and others may add/comment on this: it is seems twitchy going across fields with a crusty layer on top. last spring the field by our cabin had a 1-2" layer of hard snow on it and i was crusing along at 60ish with one hand on the bar relaxing and the ski dug in and almost snap rolled on me! it was really weird; i'm not sure if there is a bit of tweaking we need to do on the sled but it was pretty sketchy that day when i was just relaxing. when you are actually RIDING it responds very well to rider input. in the pow it is a blast. i've ridden a few m's and one rev; most of my other time has been on dragons.

hope that helps

C

Clarke673

Somewhere between too dumb to quit and flat earth
Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana
It is so easy to side hill and carve going down hill that when i jump on a dragon i feal like its a kids toy. Only problem is that the wide running boards don't help at all when your trying to climb and the stock rear skid is only good for jumping, there is nothing you can do to get it to climb right. Even with ice age rails, it still just don't cut it. If you want a true iqr-mountain conversion, get a new rear suspension like ez-ryde or holz. I went with an easy ride, van amberg tunnel, and 151x2.5" track for this season. Last year i spent most my time stuck or staring at the sky with my 800 121 IQR.... The biggest thing that helped last year was puting fox EVOL X shocks on it. The Walkers are ok for just big hits....but that's about it.

A
Nov 27, 2007
Grand Marais, MN
last spring the field by our cabin had a 1-2" layer of hard snow on it and i was crusing along at 60ish with one hand on the bar relaxing and the ski dug in and almost snap rolled on me! it was really weird;

Were you running sly dog skis? I had the exact same problem with sly dog poweder hounds at the end of last year in a light crust with sugar snow. I am going to try powder pros this year. Craig

My brother also had this happen on his 08 iqr with powder hounds. He was a few sleds behind me and to the left and then all I saw was his sled in the air upside down and backwards. Nearly landed on him, he was about a foot further than the tunnel ended up. All because of a little 6" hard snow drift it flipped it right over.

meathooker

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2008
Boise, ID
Were you running sly dog skis? I had the exact same problem with sly dog poweder hounds at the end of last year in a light crust with sugar snow. I am going to try powder pros this year. Craig

that was with powder pros (carl's cut). i put slp SLT's on it.

hudini

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Lewiston area
In the deep they are kind of like an XP. Boondocking is like nothing else I have been on. Really easy to manuver through the trees etc. Mine is long...166" with Holz skid and boondocks better then my old Edge and faster then a Dragon through the trees. Very stable and predictable. i went with a Dragon front end this year so I will see how much better it is. I have been told it is a night and day difference.

The only thing I can into is sometimes it turns too tight and I have gotten my tennel hung up on a tree, something I will have to get used to as I ride it more.

my 2 cents

O

Ollie

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 16, 2004
Colorado
Demo rides.
Everyone has their favorite ride and the reason why.
That may not be the best for you.
Contact some of your local dealers and ask for demo rides.
Compare the sleds and make your decision that way.

J
Oct 12, 2002
Idaho, Meridian
Demo rides.
Everyone has their favorite ride and the reason why.
That may not be the best for you.
Contact some of your local dealers and ask for demo rides.
Compare the sleds and make your decision that way.

I don't think there are many if any dealers doing demo rides for mountain converted IQR's.
With that being said I'd let a fellow snowester take mine for a rip if the wanted too, (You'd have to come to me though).

P
Mar 12, 2008
sunnyvale trailer park
don't worry it handles nothing like the rev, I can't stand riding those things!!
Basically it is the best platform to build off of, but how it handles deep snow and boondocking all comes down to which components you choose to use when building it. If you want a great mountasin sled and you build it with that purpose in mind, you probably will sacrifice trail manners. That said Mine probably does both on and off trasil better than any I have ever owned before.
One thing I'm surprised at is to hear people say they sidehill better/easier than an rmk dragon. I still have the factory '06 front ent under mine and although it is miles ahead of a rev or x.p. in sidehilling ability (for me) and flickability I found the 2 dragons I had before it much easier to do downhill/uphill transitions due to the narrower / lighter/ softer front suspension. I plan on putting an rmk front end on mine soon so that should fix that issue.
As far as rider position, it is light years ahead of the rmk, and doesn't push you too far ahead and off balance like the x.p. (i.m.o.)
I love mine! Favorite sled I've ever had, and it gets better every time I change something

O
Oct 19, 2009
thank you i am lookin at a iqr already partly done! but it has a 600 in it, or a assault i can get either of them < wish i could afford both . i have tried a 800 dragon and loved the power it makes but i thought it was way to easy to flip up , but that was compared to the xp ,i never really got to ride it alot cause my wife wouldn't get off the damn thing!!

More Questions

Sweet this sounds like the sled i am looking for, I have my high power chute climbing sled, I need a real good boondocker, Jumps, drops and a nice back up sled with some good power. What does everyone wish there IQR's had in them for a power plant? 800, 800 turbo, 1200 Water craft, 4 stroke or some other motor. Any motors to stay away from? I think 200-250hp with a 162x15x2.5 would be the ticket for me, Not really sure and the rear skid to run. Anyone ever try a mountain tamer in an IQR ? does timbersled even make a kit for the IQR?, I really liked it in my Nytro up to 12# of boost, anything over that and I would be on my a$$, I would like a rear skid that still wheelies a little bit for the fun factor. I don’t spend anymore time on the trail then I have to maybe 100kms a year.

I can get a bulkhead,155" tunnel with the steering post hoop for $600.00 Can, is this worth it, Should I find a nice used one or part it together from Polaris ? what ever i do it will end up with a Van Amberg 162" tunnel, 162x15x2.5 Camo Extreme, Skid??, Front Suspenshion??, Power Plant??

Thanks.

Last edited:
J
Oct 12, 2002
Idaho, Meridian
Sweet this sounds like the sled i am looking for, I have my high power chute climbing sled, I need a real good boondocker, Jumps, drops and a nice back up sled with some good power. What does everyone wish there IQR's had in them for a power plant? 800, 800 turbo, 1200 Water craft, 4 stroke or some other motor. Any motors to stay away from? I think 200-250hp with a 162x15x2.5 would be the ticket for me, Not really sure and the rear skid to run. Anyone ever try a mountain tamer in an IQR ? does timbersled even make a kit for the IQR?, I really liked it in my Nytro up to 12# of boost, anything over that and I would be on my a$$, I would like a rear skid that still wheelies a little bit for the fun factor. I don’t spend anymore time on the trail then I have to maybe 100kms a year.

I can get a bulkhead,155" tunnel with the steering post hoop for $600.00 Can, is this worth it, Should I find a nice used one or part it together from Polaris ? what ever i do it will end up with a Van Amberg 162" tunnel, 162x15x2.5 Camo Extreme, Skid??, Front Suspenshion??, Power Plant??

Thanks.

I have a 797 in mine, its basically a carbed and ported 800. It has decent power. meathooker has a turbo'ed 800cfi in his that we haven't had on the snow yet. Last year it was a 685 and it was actually pretty fun, it had a holz rmk front end on it with the stock rear skid and track,it was so fun as a shorty I'd like to build another for spring time riding after the deep stuff goes hard.
I'll I can tell you is prepare to be nickeled and dimed to death. Nobody really makes a "mountain kit" for these sleds. You kinda just have to piece one together. Its fun but can be aggravating. If I had it to do over I would have started by buying a wrecked dragon and swapped susp and motor over from there.
Another place you could start is with a 600 racer instead of a 440. The motor in the 600r is fairly eaisy the convert to 800cc. Small block polaris motors are easy bolt in fit, anything else requires fabrication that guys on this forum can help you with(Brad 1200psi).
There isn't much for pipes either unless you go 600 ho than slp has you covered. you'll have to cut and fit the rest.
As far as susp goes I've always liked holz susp and have it on mine, but you have to have a rear skid to start with if you use holz, which is kinda annoying.
I hope that helps. if you don't want to mess with all this stuff you can just buy one already built and just ride it. RMKRIDER has his for sale and its a clean one. By the time you factor in labor and stuff, sometimes buying one already built is a bargain.

S

suitcase

Nov 9, 2008
In the great part of OR.
The Dragon Handles great on the trail and off. It is very close to the xp on the trail, the yammy, well can't compare to the d8 or the xp on the trail yammy is the best trail sled. Off the trail the yammy is heavey and feels like a rock, the xp is real close too the d8 handles real well also, a little harder to side hill. but very rider friendly off in the deep stuff. I have rode all three, many times. I personally own a 08 and 09 dragon, and for me that is the only sled. I spend 90 percent of my time in the trees not much trial rideing. And for the cat well never sean one set up right to ever give it a fare compare.

just my two pennys

Last edited:

Angermangement890

Lifetime Membership
Mar 17, 2002
Frazee, MN
www.koolmekustoms.com
My 2 cents would be to start with a new or close to new sled as you can find. Its just much easier to work on when you know the starting condition of all the components. A new tunnel/bulkhead/steering hoop from Polaris is about 900-1200 US and is WELL worth it.

For a powerplant I would use some variation of a small block twin. Currently I own 2 685 carls engines, one is going into my wifes IQR build. I would not hesitate to own an 860 Carls motor in this chassis. Any of the other engines that a can be fit in require LOTS of fab time. I stuffed an XCR 800 tripple into mine and it took quite a bit of time to get it done right. Exhaust can be challenging and easy depending on what you are trying to put into the chassis and your proximity to a good pipe builder. Neils power pipes is quite good, as is Jaws in Canada. In the states, LRM in WI and a host of others come to mind.

For Suspension I like the complete Z-Bro's set up, 43" A-arms, XO shocks or if the budget allows X1 or X2 shocks and whatever color spindle catches your eye.

On the rear, my opinion is the EZ-Ryde is the best skid to put under one of these sleds, very light and tough, it can start and stop in fresh like nothing else I've been on. Rides awesome on the rutted out trails in and out of the backcountry and still functions like it should in the deep.

On the tunnel, right on with VE, have Boondocks on both of our sleds.

S

suitcase

Nov 9, 2008
In the great part of OR.
i bought the one iqr 600 ho 144 that was in the swap meet section,know cant wait for snow??

my mon had one of those. I tested it alot real sweat sled, do almost anything imaganable with it. Every for giving and with an SLP kit woke it right up and whould go most places. The only place it lacked was the long pulls in the deep. you should love it .

Just my two penny's

J
Oct 12, 2002
Idaho, Meridian
my mon had one of those. I tested it alot real sweat sled, do almost anything imaganable with it. Every for giving and with an SLP kit woke it right up and whould go most places. The only place it lacked was the long pulls in the deep. you should love it .

Just my two penny's

Your Mom had a IQracer with a 600ho and a 144????

Premium Features