• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Axys front end

Superduty348

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
BC
Why doesn't Polaris offer the axys with a 36" wide front end as an option as a lot of guys swap A arms to do just this....

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
Because they're dumb......

I think, they think, they need to please the masses, the ones that ride 3-up, 20 foot long jetskis in the summer. But with the correct springs/shocks they could easily do a 36" that would please most. Doo does it...

Narrowing a Pro to 36" is hands down the greatest improvement you can do to a Pro. Better than any track upgrade...better than adding a turbo! If you disagree, you've never ridden a 36". Stock springs will cause it to dive, though(too soft). So you have to upgrade both the arms and springs.

P
Jan 31, 2010
Klamath Falls, OR.
Maybe someone can help me with this. I have been on pros and Axys for awhile and have always seen everyone talkinging about 36” inch arms. I get it lays over easier with 36” arms. But I have never once had any problems putting any pros or Axys on their sides. So what’s the point? Not being a smartass I am really curious what the point it’s?

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
Maybe someone can help me with this. I have been on pros and Axys for awhile and have always seen everyone talkinging about 36” inch arms. I get it lays over easier with 36” arms. But I have never once had any problems putting any pros or Axys on their sides. So what’s the point? Not being a smartass I am really curious what the point it’s?

You'll just have to ride one and you'll understand. The whole concept of "putting the sled on its side" sort of goes away. Wherever you look, it goes. It's effortless, but takes a few rides to get used to not overcorrecting. It's more like riding a motorcycle and you just lean thru the trees. I can't even begin to explain how much it's improved my confidence level.

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
I rode a 36" one time and was not impressed. I believe it is all technique to get the sled to go where you want it to . . . not necessarily the 1" narrower width of the front end. Personally, i wouldn't spend the money to narrow it up 1".

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca

In hard snow it takes a bit more muscle to initiate. For me 36" is too narrow. Narrow 1" and its still comes up easier but still has a good pronounced sweet spot to hold it on one ski. With 36" I found that sweet spot really much harder to find.

MDEVO

Chic Chocs Addicts
Lifetime Membership
Oct 21, 2011
Oshawa, ON,Canada
You'll just have to ride one and you'll understand. The whole concept of "putting the sled on its side" sort of goes away. Wherever you look, it goes. It's effortless, but takes a few rides to get used to not overcorrecting. It's more like riding a motorcycle and you just lean thru the trees. I can't even begin to explain how much it's improved my confidence level.

I am very interested in trying this mod, what arms/springs did you go to?

It seems like its one of those "you either love it or hate it" type scenarios....from what I have read.

Figure its worth a try, as any improvement in confidence in the trees is so valuable.

F
Sep 11, 2014
I put the kmod (37") front end on my 2014 pro and loved it. Before I did that, I wasn't all that happy with the pro chassis. I jumped on a stock Axys and thought it felt about 80% as good as my 2014 with the 37" on it. This year I went with the 1" offset spindles. I was hesitant to go that route because someone made a ponit about the spindles sticking out further than the ski. Here are some pics that prove that isn't the case. I loved everything about the pro with the 37" front end, I expect it to improve the Axys as well.

zoffsetspindle.jpg stockspindle.jpg front.jpg

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
I am very interested in trying this mod, what arms/springs did you go to?

It seems like its one of those "you either love it or hate it" type scenarios....from what I have read.

Figure its worth a try, as any improvement in confidence in the trees is so valuable.
I'm a Z-broz fan for A-arms. You can either get their triple rate springs or buy the 130# RMK Assault springs. Stock RMK springs are 100#. Don't forgo the springs.

Indy_500

Lifetime Membership
Jul 8, 2011
Greenville, WI
This year I went with the 1" offset spindles. I was hesitant to go that route because someone made a ponit about the spindles sticking out further than the ski. Here are some pics that prove that isn't the case.

IMHO its still risky, my stock spindles were SO trashed after 2 years riding from sidehilling across stuff i shouldn't have, that i HAD to buy new ones. This was with 39" alternative impact front end, skis set to the narrowest setting. I bought the regular zollinger spindles for this year (not the offset ones) and am going to run the skis on the middle setting with my new raptor 37" fromt end to help keep the spindles from dragging in the snow.

Pickin’ Boogers

Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2013
I had offset spindles on my Pro-Ride chassis, which handled great but exploded on a mellow rock hit. Then I went to Alt Impact 36".

On my Axys, I decided to keep the front end stock for a season (16/17) before messing with anything. Now, I've upgraded the shocks and removed the sway bar. I don't feel like narrower is as necessary on the new chassis.

wellfed777

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Oregon
Tuneman

are you talking Axys or Pro ?

they're two different animals with the 36'' front

on the pro it was a big up grade

on the Axys not so much it makes the sweet spot smaller
and kinda twitchy
(thats been my experience )

i wouldn't recommend 36'' on Axys

ZRP Engineering

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2014
Utah
I had offset spindles on my Pro-Ride chassis, which handled great but exploded on a mellow rock hit. Then I went to Alt Impact 36".

On my Axys, I decided to keep the front end stock for a season (16/17) before messing with anything. Now, I've upgraded the shocks and removed the sway bar. I don't feel like narrower is as necessary on the new chassis.
Can you please send me pictures of the "exploded" spindle if it was one of our parts?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
Tuneman

are you talking Axys or Pro ?

they're two different animals with the 36'' front

on the pro it was a big up grade

on the Axys not so much it makes the sweet spot smaller
and kinda twitchy
(thats been my experience )

i wouldn't recommend 36'' on Axys
I'm talking Pro, getting an Axys next season. I hear ya; although, I have had some time on a stock Axys and my 36" Pro was significantly easier to handle. So I still think it will be a big improvement, but at full disclosure, I have no seat time on a 36" Axys.

kylant

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2011
CA

that was a fun day, wasn't it :face-icon-small-win

Indy_500

Lifetime Membership
Jul 8, 2011
Greenville, WI
Thanks for your input - curious, what the heck were you sidehilling that wore out your stock spindles?

Twice i had elevatored down a steep steep hill (too steep to ride straight down) in the snowies, turns out there rocks like to hide under the snow... also smoked a tree, snapped a rod end on my alternative impacts, and that destroyed the inside of the spindle.

Premium Features