• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Elkford Area

S
Jun 5, 2008
Hey guys were planning a trip up to Elkford and just wondering about some good riding areas around there!Nothing too extreme though because we'll have some ladies riding with us.And how are the snow conditions there around XMAS time?

S

snowyo

Dec 11, 2007
BC
if your ridin with the ladies maybe you should stick to the pass side(crowsnest pass) in alberta.

elkford

I went up crossing creek/Koko Claims with my Girlfrend last year in feb and apr. lost of fresh powder most of the times it's on the eklford snowmobile club map. she's been riding maybe 10 or so times, and she was on a 01 MM700 with a 156" track. On the way up to the crossing creek there is three avalanche crossings they're only 30M wide or so though and they are well marked with signs. she tried to make it up to a place called smiths basin but she got stuck a few times because that path is not groomed and it's through trees. i'm going to try south of elkford early this year a place called corbin, i've heard there is lots of trail riding and also some pipeline type riding as well. should be good for nov and early dec. you should send me a pm and let me know when you are comming up here.
Steve

N
Nov 26, 2007
CowTown
Do you think that it could be a bit too advanced for the girls?

No, trail into Koko is pretty tame IMO, some of the terrain is pretty steep in the back, depends on what kind of riding the girls (and guys) are into, but there are lots of spots within 20 mins drive that you can go to if it is too steep, hit the trailer and re-load, drive 20 mins and you are at the pipeline, atlas, corbin. Lots of grooming in these other areas. Koko trail can be beaten up pretty good, if there is fresh snow you are ok, but I have seen it wasted. You can find out the grooming schedule on their website, search elkford snowmobiling on the web. They have a club. If you do go there, don't forget to buy a trail pass!

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
I went up crossing creek/Koko Claims with my Girlfrend last year in feb and apr. lost of fresh powder most of the times it's on the eklford snowmobile club map. she's been riding maybe 10 or so times, and she was on a 01 MM700 with a 156" track. On the way up to the crossing creek there is three avalanche crossings they're only 30M wide or so though and they are well marked with signs. she tried to make it up to a place called smiths basin but she got stuck a few times because that path is not groomed and it's through trees. i'm going to try south of elkford early this year a place called corbin, i've heard there is lots of trail riding and also some pipeline type riding as well. should be good for nov and early dec. you should send me a pm and let me know when you are comming up here.
Steve

I know the Corbin area fairly well and go out for many day trips from Calgary. (most weekends) If you need a guide PM me. I also have a bunch of stickpins on Google Earth that I could email to you for all the spots we visit there. A good round trip is trails in around to Wranglers cabin and then the pipeline back to staging area.

K
Dec 23, 2007
Corbin would be my suggestion... I learned how to ride a sled there.

Good, wide trails, and snow will be fine(I'm hoping) in December.

Corbin is at the end of that mining road, forget it's name..., but you'll go past the yellow gates, AND tin shack.

B
Aug 11, 2008
Elkford

The Mine road is to Coal Mountain.

At Xmas time in Elkford all you have to do is go up the valley the road shouldn't be gradded unless thay are logging.

Most of the time the road is groomed from Elkford up the east side or the Elk river to the bridge and back the west side to Elkford.

As for koko the main trail is groomed once a weak but it gets used lots. If you stay on the main trail its easy just stay out of the bowls and you will be fine.

Have been living and ridding here for 17 years.

T
Nov 6, 2008
Cranbrook, BC
www.kickasssleds.com
Moved to Cranbrook from Golden and looking for some good riding areas. I,ve sledded the Fernie areas often. Harvey-Howell-Notch-Flathead-Mecca-Ram-Cabin-Inverted Ridge-Pipeline etc..

What is like in the Alexander Creek area? Was planning to explore there this season. Are there any sled closures that I should know about.

Premium Features