• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Speedwerx Supercharged M8?

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
I've talked to 3 people who have actually run them.

They're the best thing ever, they're very reasonably priced, and they run like tops at ANY elevation, and deal VERY well with elevation change.

Get one... you'll love it :face-icon-small-win

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
I've talked to 3 people who have actually run them.

They're the best thing ever, they're very reasonably priced, and they run like tops at ANY elevation, and deal VERY well with elevation change.

Get one... you'll love it :face-icon-small-win

yeeeehaaaa....im gonna get me two...!!!

Mjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Jan 19, 2008
Ogden, Utah
If you do a search you'll find another thread talking about the supercharger and there was at least one guy in that thread running one. He got bashed pretty bad from everyone about it, but I remember him saying he loved his. I don't remember his name on here, but if you do the search you'll find it.

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
Isn't the one thing that gives a supercharger an advantage over a turbo ,In some applications, the fact that the SC is turning at a idle and presumably building boost at idle? But with a snowmobile and the clutch system they all run, wouldn't be engaging untill 4000ish rpms. At 4000 rpms my old sled with the ovs race gas set up Was building about 2 psi of boost already at the time of clutch engagement. At this point, where is the advantage of a supercharger? It's like people think the only power they have is at FULL boost. With a turbo, your sled will still have all the power it had before you installed the turbo. The same power you got around with for years, Before you start making alot of boost. I just don't understand why people are so into something that doesn't make Sense on paper or on the snow! I guess there will always be some guys that will want too throw money at their sled just to be "different". To each his own! I just hate to see someone make a bad decision with all that money. Why not give me $6000 and ill make your sled "different"

Last edited:

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
If you do a search you'll find another thread talking about the supercharger and there was at least one guy in that thread running one. He got bashed pretty bad from everyone about it, but I remember him saying he loved his. I don't remember his name on here, but if you do the search you'll find it.

Pretty sure his user name was Jensen something, and I don't remember anyone bashing him. His discussion was mostly about charge temps and running his at the snowies. One of the big selling points for the SC was lower charge temps, but for some reason he was seeing higher temps than we do without an IC on a turbo, it was kinda odd. I think he said it ran well, but he wasn't running much boost yet.

Here you go, this is the thread... The bashing was on EDP, not Jensen bros, it was nice to hear from an actual honest customer. I'd be curious to hear from him again & see how it's doing for him. Just odd that his main reason for changing, TEMP, was so far off. I'd like to actually understand how the SC could be producing that much heat at that low of boost, I don't see what causes that (compared to turbo).

http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/showthread.php?t=246997&page=2

Last edited:

av8er

Lifetime Membership
Sep 16, 2006
Kalispell, MT.
Why I chose my lineup is simple

1. I have a Twisted and Love it, it has been pretty much trouble free once i learned how to properly tune it with the AFR, I've always ran egt's. 2. is Support after the Sale. Shain has always answered all of my ?'s ans seemed happy to do so. 3. I have talked to Dale Cutler before and he gives great support for his kits, My buddies have run them and they are clean, and run hard. 4. I have never run an OVS personally but have seen their kits and they are very nice with great components, they also do alot of R&D. plus I have read alot of positive feedback from OVS kit owners.

H

Hillclimbpro

Feb 11, 2010
Gillette, WY
1. I have a Twisted and Love it, it has been pretty much trouble free once i learned how to properly tune it with the AFR, I've always ran egt's. 2. is Support after the Sale. Shain has always answered all of my ?'s ans seemed happy to do so. 3. I have talked to Dale Cutler before and he gives great support for his kits, My buddies have run them and they are clean, and run hard. 4. I have never run an OVS personally but have seen their kits and they are very nice with great components, they also do alot of R&D. plus I have read alot of positive feedback from OVS kit owners.

Lol, just giving you a hard time !

Mjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Jan 19, 2008
Ogden, Utah
Isn't the one thing that gives a supercharger an advantage over a turbo ,In some applications, the fact that the SC is turning at a idle and presumably building boost at idle? But with a snowmobile and the clutch system they all run, wouldn't be engaging untill 4000ish rpms. At 4000 rpms my old sled with the ovs race gas set up Was building about 2 psi of boost already at the time of clutch engagement. At this point, where is the advantage of a supercharger? It's like people think the only power they have is at FULL boost. With a turbo, your sled will still have all the power it had before you installed the turbo. The same power you got around with for years, Before you start making alot of boost. I just don't understand why people are so into something that doesn't make Sense on paper or on the snow! I guess there will always be some guys that will want too throw money at their sled just to be "different". To each his own! I just hate to see someone make a bad decision with all that money. Why not give me $6000 and ill make your sled "different"

I'm not taking sides here, especially since I don't own either a turbo or a supercharger set up, but one advantage with the supercharger over the turbo that you didn't mention is that if you are climbing a hill and have to let off in a particular spot and immediately get back in it, the supercharger will have a much faster reaction time than the turbo that has to build the boost back up. It may be a point that most don't care about or have learned to deal with, but a supercharger will have a much better throttle response over a turbo in this situation. It will be (in theory if everything is set up right and tuned right) more like comparing throttle response on a big bore to a stock sled. Again, not taking sides, just pointing it out. I've read very few things good about speedwerx on here (and have never dealt with them myself) which would make me hesitate more than anything else about the kit, but just wanted to point out that a supercharger does have it's advantages over a turbo set up in some regards. It has to work of course, and work well to even compare the two...

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
Agreed Mjunkie...when two working applications are indeed working fair comparison can be made such as what the 4 stroke market offers. Many enjoy the supercharger in the 4stroke segment.

But we need an example from the two stroke builder and they have to put it in our face or they just don't get the interest if they don't and so begs the question if there is indeed a good working example..??

Do the two stroke have enough low end torque to effectively have the constant effective load of the supercharger from the second you pull the starting cord ...is this the stumbling block..??

B

Bacon

Nov 26, 2007
Napoleon, ND
I'm not taking sides here, especially since I don't own either a turbo or a supercharger set up, but one advantage with the supercharger over the turbo that you didn't mention is that if you are climbing a hill and have to let off in a particular spot and immediately get back in it, the supercharger will have a much faster reaction time than the turbo that has to build the boost back up. It may be a point that most don't care about or have learned to deal with, but a supercharger will have a much better throttle response over a turbo in this situation. It will be (in theory if everything is set up right and tuned right) more like comparing throttle response on a big bore to a stock sled. Again, not taking sides, just pointing it out. I've read very few things good about speedwerx on here (and have never dealt with them myself) which would make me hesitate more than anything else about the kit, but just wanted to point out that a supercharger does have it's advantages over a turbo set up in some regards. It has to work of course, and work well to even compare the two...

I will give another opinion. I run a Push TBBT system with a Vipec box. There is no lag. When getting on and off the throttle there is no delay or bog cause there is no blowoff valve to get rid of all the boost. It is the best turbo system I have ridden and I have driven a few over the years And they have all had running issues. This setup is as close to flawless as I think you can get with a mod sled.

Mjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Jan 19, 2008
Ogden, Utah
You have an M7 with a 1300 big bore from CPC? That thing has GOT to have testicles hanging off the back!!!!LOL

I haven't been able to ride it yet. I got it pretty much all put together last year but I've got a few little things to finish up before the snow comes. But yeah, it should be fun!

V

Vi-PEC Powersports

Aug 17, 2011
CANADA
:gossip:
I think the reality of it is that it doesnt work that well. . . Otherwise why wouldn't they sell a ton of them. No loss in bottom end at all and a big increase in overall hp. This would be a boondocking dream. . . if it worked as advertised. The fact they are not selling them like crazy tells me that it doesn't work as well as advertised.

I think it was dave at powderlites that was working with a company in ca. . . Can't remember the name but nothing came of that. . . Likely cause they couldn't workout the bugs in the system.

Also I have not been around speedwerx to much but I know that some of the products they sell look cheap. Pipes are thin and welds are poor. Not what we should expect for our hard earned money. Just my 2 cents.
From what we have seen so far, this supercharger kit is very well put together. Ron Gilland at speedwerx is now working with our standalone ECU on a few different project and you bet a few skeptical will have a pleasant surprise this winter. a 2 stroke turbo/supercharged sled is a complete wild animal to tune and unless you have the right Tools to tune them, it is a pretty dangerous job touching them....BTW do not count speedwerx out of the Polaris market also :gossip:

Premium Features