• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Question for the Apex Guru's

←snow∞motion→

Lifetime Membership
Jan 18, 2010
WY
Planning some preventative maintenance for my sled. I've read stuff in the past about the jack shaft bearings failing regularly on the Apex's.

I'm planning on replacing the drive-shaft bearing under the secondary, but when looking at the parts schematic, it looks like there are another three bearings on the chain side.

Should I just do the secondary side, or should I replace all the bearings and their corresponding seals on both sides? Also, is the reason these bearings fail so often from not being greased properly or adequately? Is there a way to pack them with more or better grease?

Thanks in advance.

kinger9

Lifetime Membership
Jan 1, 2009
www.piergenius.com
The chaincase side are lubricated by the chain case and last a long time.

The secondary and driveshaft bearing are a sealed bearing and you simply pop the seal out and lube with grease once a year to thwart off replacement.

Once the new bearings are in its easy to service and pack them in place so you dont have to swap them again. I use a little prick tool to get the seal out with no damge to it then I use brake kleen to clean it and compressed air to make sure its dry and clean. Then pack with good synthetic grease and your good to go.

N

NM

Jan 3, 2003
Ponoka AB.
The chaincase side are lubricated by the chain case and last a long time.

The secondary and driveshaft bearing are a sealed bearing and you simply pop the seal out and lube with grease once a year to thwart off replacement.

Once the new bearings are in its easy to service and pack them in place so you dont have to swap them again. I use a little prick tool to get the seal out with no damge to it then I use brake kleen to clean it and compressed air to make sure its dry and clean. Then pack with good synthetic grease and your good to go.
Yup. We repack our jackshaft and driveshaft bearings at least once a season and sometimes twice depending on how many miles we are putting on. We have never had a bearing failure in over 17000 combined kms.

RX1MountainMan

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Harlowton, MT
My '03 RX-1 Mountain and '07 Apex MTN both had jackshaft (clutch side) bearing failures at 4,000 miles and change...I will have to try popping the seal and greasing them and see how that works.

Premium Features