• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

RX-1 Problem on Vacation!

S
Apr 7, 2014
On the first day of a five-day vacation at a cabin, 1/4 mile into my first ride and with hundreds of miles of sled trails at hand, my 2004 RX-1 stopped working.

I started the sled up soon after we got to the cabin. It warmed up and rode normally for about 1/4 mile to a narrow creek/outflow with about 3 inches of water over pavement. I crossed pretty slowly, and then the throttle became non responsive. The idle is at 3k rpm and pulsating like on a rev limiter. The rpm doesn't respond to throttle or choke, but will reward me with a huge firey backfire if I give it throttle. It smells rich. No change after letting it run for a while and trying again the next day. Maybe I got some electrics (or distributor) wet? I'm down to the on-board toolkit, and I can't see any electronics due to a stubborn screw.

Any ideas? I'm hoping it's something stupid. The sled has only 900 miles on it, including my only ~200 sled miles. I have plenty of experience with motorcycles and cars, but I've never seen anything quite like this problem. BTW, it's a 2004 mountain, bone stock. I'll try to attach a video to a reply below.

Thanks in advance!

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
Sounds like the TORS, throttle over ride system is kicking in. most times its a simple fix, throttle cable too tight or cable adjuster out of place. Eric

S
Apr 7, 2014
You guys probably hit the nail on the head. I gave it a 2" rise prior to the trip. I read that 2" was safe without cable extensions, and I saw slack, but I must have messed something up. I'll troubleshoot at daylight. Thanks!

red

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Alberta
You wont be able to get it on your trip. But when you get back, get a throttle cable of a 2005 RX1 Mountain. The cable is cheap from Yamaha, don't have to add any goofy extenders. Like others said, cable to too tight. Good luck on your trip.

Shattered1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2012
Juneau, AK
Another thing you can do in the interim is bypass your TORS. If you go to the right side (chain case side) of your carburetor there will be two wires with bullet connectors going into the carb rack. Take the bullet connectors apart and plug the two wires from the wiring harness side into one another completing the circuit. This will bypass the TORS.

You can leave it that way forever if you want, but your TORS won't work. i.e. it won't put your sled into limp mode and backfire like you've been experiencing. The TORS is a safety feature but you can operate without it. Just be careful that your idle isn't high enough that your clutches engage without you pressing on the throttle, or if it does, be ready to grab the brake.

This should get you through your vacation until you can properly fix your problem.

Last edited:
S
Apr 7, 2014
You guys are all awesome. It is a TORS issue. In case anyone finds this post in the future, the 2004 RX1 Mountain, at least, can't handle a 2" rise without a longer cable. I made every adjustment I could think of. Shockers - you can't believe everything you read on the internet. I made an order for the cable from the 2005. Meanwhile, the TORS bypass you mentioned worked well. I was able to make it move, at least, but trail riding is not possible unless I only turn slightly left. I should have brought the old, shorter bolts, at least. Anyway, I was able to get out a little with skins and a jeep. And the override will let me load the sled much more easily.

Cheers and happy New Year!

S
Nov 28, 2010
Saskatchewan, Canada
For future reference, the stock cable will work with a 2" riser but you may have to reroute it. I had to and I also straightened out the bend a bit in the metal section of the sheathing where it mounts to the carb rack. As said above, any taller that a 2" riser and mountain cable is needed.

Premium Features