• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

I bought my first 3 sleds today! 2010 Nytro SE, 09 Nytro MTX, 08 Phazer MTX

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Today we crossed over the magic 100 mile mark on the new Nytros, and got to open up the throttle above 6,000rpm for the first time.

I continue to be impressed with the TORQUE this engine puts out. Even with my 230lbs, it has NO problem at all pulling a wheelie for me.

Today I got my first serious test of deep powder running and was NOT disappointed at all. The sled handled quite nicely and took me any where I pointed it's nose.

While I got stuck many times, I was quite impressed at just how EASY it was to Un-Stick this sled. My #1 hesitation about making this purchase was the WEIGHT of the sled. And having never ridden a Yamaha, I was buying them 100% based on reputation and comments from other owners here on SnoWest.

In every case that I got stuck, I would say it was Driver Error. I backed off on the throttle or failed to shift my weight on the sled fast enough to complete a maneuver. But in every case I was able to back the sled up about 1 foot, and then hit the gas and she would jump back up on top of the powder and carry on like she was never stuck. Not once did I have to "dig" out my big heavy sled!

Negatives...

#1.
This sled decelerates like the space shuttle on re-entry!
Holy Cow. When I let go of the throttle, she slows down HARD and FAST! A couple times when I was working on my "Wrong Foot Forward" maneuver while side hilling and made the mistake of letting off on the throttle, I got tossed from the sled. She requires a FIRM GRIP, and a well planted foot to stay put on.

#2.
There were a few times today, in reasonably deep powder, with the throttle Wide Open, that I would have liked to have had MORE POWER. While the sled never let me down in any way, it felt like it could have really benefited from more horsepower under the hood. I can see why so many people boost these engines!

#3.
The boards fill up with snow badly!
I found myself constantly trying to empty the snow from the running boards all day long. The boards on the 2010 SE are MUCH MUCH better than what my son has on the 2009, but they are still NOT good enough for the job.

#4.
There is a whole lot more engine noise than I would have expected. Not loud like a 2 stroke, but I can hear the engine and the gears.

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Murph

Polaris Moderator/ Polaris Ambassador/ Klim Amb.
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
I'm a little confused...... Snowest Admin, 5200+ posts, and these are your first sleds?????

Did I miss something?....

More important, congratulations.....now let the rest of the spending begin!!

Jacobson valve a must!!! Everything else...rider preference.

Murph

E

Extreme-One

Nov 26, 2007
Meridian, ID
Good for you on the sled purchase for yourself and your family. You're going to make a lot of memories, good and bad... Make sure you take lots of pictures.

You'll get use to the way the sled responds to the throttle and get your self a set of Better Boards... it's a must on the sleds and you can justify them as an added feature for saftey.:face-icon-small-win

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I'm a little confused...... Snowest Admin, 5200+ posts, and these are your first sleds?????

Did I miss something?....
YUP, that would be me.
Been a renter for years.
This year we bit the bullet and bought our first sleds.

In my home, your not allowed to have toys you haven't paid for in cash. So I took a couple years to save up enough to be able to walk in and buy all three of them at once.

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Good for you on the sled purchase for yourself and your family. You're going to make a lot of memories, good and bad... Make sure you take lots of pictures.

You'll get use to the way the sled responds to the throttle and get your self a set of Better Boards... it's a must on the sleds and you can justify them as an added feature for saftey.:face-icon-small-win
We are already having a blast with them.
As for the boards.
Just amazes me that they aren't doing this right from the factory.

Its no small amount of snow that builds up EVERY time you dive into the powder. I found myself kicking the boards trying to clear them all day long so my boots would have a solid bite.

S

skidontlover

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 3, 2008
SUMMER 2010 Baby!
The plan is to boost this bad boy this summer for next year!!

You think modding a sled is a good idea? You already modded this place till it broke, would hate to see a perfectly good sled go down too...

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
As I am sure you know, Modding is a process.
Not one that is always pleasant until you get to the finished result.

I am confident the SW and my sled will both survive the process.

S

skidontlover

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 3, 2008
As I am sure you know, Modding is a process.
Not one that is always pleasant until you get to the finished result.

I am confident the SW and my sled will both survive the process.
Bruce from PSI comes to mind.....

Premium Features