• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Clutch Problems

M
Oct 11, 2009
I bought a 2018 freeride 154” with 2400 miles on it back in September, sled had 2 cracks In the tunnel just behind the drop brackets (about 2” up the sides of tunnel) wasn’t crashed, rest of sled is good, anyways I fixed it and had to drop it off at the dealer for a problem with chain case leaking, while there the dealer did the motor mount shim update (says 1 mount was cracked) and another update to the clutch. Upon opening the clutch they found that it is completely shot, needs a complete rebuild almost $700 in parts according to them (bushings, bolts, screws, ramps, rollers.....I’ve got a whole list) they said this most likely won’t be covered under warranty, what are your thoughts on this? Anyone else had a clutch completely shot like this? I’ve never heard of it.

Also, The previous owner told me that the sled had warranty work done on the clutch once for a tower bolt that broke and got sucked up into the clutches, it ruined all 4 clutch faces and they replaced them under warranty.

Last edited:

fugly27

Lifetime Membership
Dec 31, 2010
British Columbia
Sounds like that sled was rode hard and put away wet I think you are gonna have alot more problems in the future.

M
Oct 11, 2009
I didn’t post to argue about whether the sled had been rode hard or not, and I didn’t post to start anything, I’m just asking if anyone has seen a clutch on these completely gone like this, that’s all, I’m open to discussion on it, if I was trying to hide anything I would have left a lot of info out of the first post.

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
I wonder if when the clutch was “supposedly” worked someone reassembled it wrong and ruined it?

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
"Completely shot' and "completely gone" are pretty hard to evaluate. If you could post what is actually wrong with the clutch you will probably get some answers. Sounds like your dealer didn't tell you that, so you should probably get a parts list to share with us so that we can help.
2400 miles on a clutch is a lot, even if it has been gone through/rebuilt. At that many miles, even the non-wear items are more than likely worn out.

M
Oct 11, 2009
“Completely gone” is how they explained it on the phone, and The first thing I asked for was a parts list, Here is the parts list they sent, the chaincase repair parts are there too, but I think everything from the ramps down is what they ordered for the clutch repair

123AA3AC-9EA3-41D5-AE74-03605F1EFFD5.jpeg

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
If it was done under warranty there would be record of the repair, correct?

Should be.

Something happened to it for sure, either miss assembly at time if warranty( loose/ mid torqued bolts, spider on wrong side of rollers etc)or it was not fully rebuilt at time of warranty as stated.

As Skidoo stated Manet times the Pdrive is supposed to virtually maintenance free.
A quick video about it
https://youtu.be/HjBlC5KjJYE

Another from Goodwin Performance about how to disassemble the P Drive. Should be helpful in understanding some potential issues.
https://youtu.be/MWp8sUTyphc

LoneViper

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Great Falls, Montana
I had 2200 miles on my 2017's clutch and never had an ounce of troubles. Regular maintenance though. I'd make darned sure I saw the worn out parts. Is this a trusted dealer?

M
Oct 11, 2009
I had 2200 miles on my 2017's clutch and never had an ounce of troubles. Regular maintenance though. I'd make darned sure I saw the worn out parts. Is this a trusted dealer?

It’s the dealer the previous owner bought the sled from, they aren’t a big dealer at all, I ve been on poo’s For the past 6 years, haven’t dealt with any of the ski doo dealers around me.

I ended up at this dealer because the previous owner had a 2” track on the sled cause he was running more trail than he originally thought, he had the dealer swap the 2.5” back on before selling it, I only took it to this dealer cause they messed up the chain case when swapping the track.

M
Oct 11, 2009
See if you broke clutch can be replaced under warranty. Still should be under warranty

Yes the sled has warranty till 2020 or 21, I told them I wanted it submitted for a warranty claim, dealer says it’s a long shot because the sleds condition (meaning the tunnel that was repaired), he also went on to speculate that the clutch could have been swapped from a sled with much higher mileage than what mine has on it, which to me is a complete line of BS to even say, even after saying that everything in the clutch matches what is supposed to be in it. I feel that I have some ground to stand on as far as getting it covered, especially if there is record of them completely tearing the clutch apart and replacing the clutch faces after the bolt was sucked through it.

Thanks for the replys

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Have them submit for warranty. The worst they can say is no, but this new clutch should last longer than that, even with poor maintenance The condition of the sled does not cause clutch parts to wear prematurely.

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
Have them submit for warranty. The worst they can say is no, but this new clutch should last longer than that, even with poor maintenance The condition of the sled does not cause clutch parts to wear prematurely.

Exactly, other wise what’s the point of warranty.

I had a friend last season on his 17 get his primary warrantied due to a grip washer falling off the air box stud that holds on the felt and getting ate by the clutch. Found a very small remnant of the washer.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
Dealer is critical part of warranty process. If they dont “think” it should be warrantied then they won’t “sell” it to BRP. Your dealer is like your attorney in these cases and they need to work to get BRP to accept it under warranty.
If they haven’t opened a case for you and there’s another dealer nearby I’d take it somewhere else.

Premium Features