• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Riding with Burandt's Backcountry Adventures

S
Feb 19, 2013
Recently I was lucky enough to be one of 12 folks from across the US and Canada to have won the 'RMK King Challenge'. Sponsored by Polaris and Snowtrax TV (SnowTrax Television), we were sent out to Ride with Chris Burandt and Saheen Skinner for two days- this was my first trip out West, and certainly won't be my last.

Overall, all I can say is 'Amazing' to the whole experience. From the logistics, to the accommodations at the lodge, to the cooking, to the hospitality, to the other people selected, this thing was an absolute home run. Stepping into this I wasn't quite sure what to expect- a beginner off trail rider from the East coast being put into a house with 11 other people...yeah, no chance for that to go wrong ;). But any reservations I had were quickly put to rest when I pulled into the parking lot and was greeted by the good folks at BBA (Burandt's Backcountry Adventure).

After discussing the plan, we were off to the lodge. Now for some reason none of my pictures of the house came out well, but suffice it to say that the place is gorgeous. It's an open concept cabin with lots of room to stretch out, a heated gear room, and a giant fireplace to warm up next to as you talk about the days' ride.

Sunrises in the great room are pretty decent...I mean if you like that kind of thing.

Now, the only way that I can sum up the riding was that it was the greatest learning experience that a person can have. From the basics of counter-steering, wrong foot forward, looking where you want to go, and proper brake application, to the more advanced maneuvers, literally anyone could go and then leave a better rider. Being a beginner mountain rider- scratch that...I aspire to someday be a beginner mountain rider ;)-, I was concerned about holding the group back or frustrating Chris, Saheen, and all of the other great guides...but never once was I treated with anything but a ton of respect, and constructive tutelage. By the end of the second day I had done a number of things that I couldn't have done going in, and was left with a real desire to start applying what I'd learned back home...if it would just snow :rolleyes:

In any event, I just thought that I would share my experiences, and let everyone know that if you've ever wondered what it would be like to go ride with BBA, or if you've ever wondered how to get better in the back country/mountains...don't hesitate any longer. Book it. Do it. Oh...and when you do, you'd better eat your Wheaties :buttrock:

The drive in...man it's gorgeous in the mountains

Choose your weapon

Getting ready to head out

Taking a break...being from sea level I did that quite a bit on day 1, but by day 2 your body adjusts pretty well surprisingly

Nope...didn't find any snow at all...

Chris's sled...carbon fiber and titanium nastiness everywhere...

Saheen's sled...ride out there with these guys and the 'tall or short handlebar' debate is immediately over

And a final shot of what heaven looks like...

So thank you again Polaris, Sledtrax, and BBA- what a great way to spread the passion! I'm forever grateful!

Shoe

B
just got back last night from doing the Burandt gig , YES he does teach you , he will watch you ride and then tell you what you are doing wrong or right , if you go with the desire to learn you will learn , he does push you beyond your comfort level for sure , I have gone there 3 times and ALWAYS come back with more confidence in my riding style , if you want to learn from the best then this is the way to go , it is expensive but if you want to be able to go places you coulndt go before pony up the money and book a trip................

S
Feb 19, 2013
Did they actually teach you some riding techniques or was it a keep up if you can kind of ride?

Your question was one thing that had kept me from booking in the past- my perception was that it was a 'keep up if you can' type of deal, but my perception couldn't have been more wrong. Both he and Saheen spent time with each of us and gave us things to work on. The really cool part is that you'd go off to try them, and half an hour later they would randomly grab you and give you more pointers, referring to something you had done when you didn't know they were looking.

Now, I'm sure if you were already a ninja they'd probably put you to the test, but at least from a beginner perspective both he and Saheen did a great job of teaching.

S

summit-x

Mar 3, 2008
Central,ND
Riding with Burandt would back all fine and dandy but I'd tell him to take that few grand it costs and shove it up the you know what. That's wayyyyy to much money to be charging hell I can go to Jamaica Florida or Mexico for that. Don't get me wrong here I'd love to do it and even checked into until I saw the pricing on his website. 3 days of riding meals and stuff was like 4 grand or something? I mean holy I know he's gotta make a living to but damm. Well there's my rant lol

S
Feb 19, 2013
Yup, it's expensive for sure. There are tons of ways that we can all spend our hard earned cash and this may not be the right way for many- totally an individual decision. For those that it does happen to be the way that you want to spend it, I'm just saying that it's a great experience and one that you'll take a lot out of.

S
Feb 19, 2013
Good write up Shoefish! Thanks for sharing.

My wife Jill was part of your group. She's still talking about it with priority #1 being lowering her bars. She's thinking of waiting for Skinner's bar to come out next fall.

Jill was a rock star! I was in her group both days and she did so well! Yeah, it was amazing when she jumped on a sled with lower bars she was instantly transformed. Tell her that the flat lander says hello!

S

summit-x

Mar 3, 2008
Central,ND
For 1 person it's about 4 ground for 3 days of riding right? Correct me if I'm wrong. I'd love to go some year but I don't know

M

Modedmach1

Nov 26, 2007
Fairbanks, Alaska
My wife, "Amber" was down there with you too. I am sure she will chime in here pretty quick. She said it was a great time.. Glad you all had fun & congrats on winning!!

W

Woops!

Mar 13, 2011
Fairbanks, AK
Wow what a great time that was (this is Amber) I agree that it was an awesome experience. I was especially amazed at 12 different ppl coming from 8 different areas of North America coming together and getting along through all the unsure and dang uncomfortable (elevation and the bathroom visits the preparation for it caused) and nervousness. Burandt and Skinner and their sweeps Brian & Clay were awesome. I hope someday I can get my hubby & I down there together sometime. Burandts wife Sandy and her mom were awesome hosts and the food was awesome! I can't agree more that the whole crew including the crew from Snowtrax and Andy from Polaris were so great to hang with.
Dan you have to make a long weekend to get to snow a priority. And Jill was a blast! I too just lowered my bars!

S
Feb 19, 2013
Amber! Awesome to hear from you! I wasn't sure if anyone would find this thread or not. It was great to meet you and to hang out on the mountain- boy that elevation was tough at times. BTW, I'm in the process of booking a trip next year where I'll be bringing my wife, a buddy, and his wife. I talked to Chris after we got back and we're going to do it together so the girls can bomb around in the meadows and then they guys/girls as they want to can then go off into the hills surrounding. If you guys are serious about going back hit me up with a PM and I'll give you the dates so you can see if it would work for you and your husband.

Great to ride with you!

T

trackvs2wheels

Nov 26, 2007
Monument, CO
OH MAN...

I was notified I was a semi-finalist by Polaris for this deal but obviously I didn't make the final cut...

Maybe it was cause I'm such an advanced rider already Burandt didn't think he could teach me anything...:face-icon-small-dis:face-icon-small-dis:face-icon-small-dis

Sounds like it was a fun time...now did he tell you anything about the 2015 Pro's??????????????

S
Feb 19, 2013
Maybe it was cause I'm such an advanced rider already Burandt didn't think he could teach me anything...:face-icon-small-dis:face-icon-small-dis:face-icon-small-dis

Sounds like it was a fun time...now did he tell you anything about the 2015 Pro's??????????????

He actually told me he was afraid to bring you in...you know, didn't want to be shown up in his own back yard ;)

On a serious note, we did ask him about the 15s but he was tight lipped- the only thing he said was something to the effect of: "Let me put it this way- Polaris already has the best mountain sled...in the next couple of years it's going to be even better to be on a Polaris." So take that for whatever it's worth.

He also had some really balanced and candid things to say about some of the common issues/perceived issues of the Pro. Great to hear real world honesty from guys that put hundreds of days on dozens of sleds a year.

S

snengineer

Nov 26, 2007
South Jordan, Utah
He actually told me he was afraid to bring you in...you know, didn't want to be shown up in his own back yard ;)

On a serious note, we did ask him about the 15s but he was tight lipped- the only thing he said was something to the effect of: "Let me put it this way- Polaris already has the best mountain sled...in the next couple of years it's going to be even better to be on a Polaris." So take that for whatever it's worth.

He also had some really balanced and candid things to say about some of the common issues/perceived issues of the Pro. Great to hear real world honesty from guys that put hundreds of days on dozens of sleds a year.

Sounds subjective but I wouldn't expect anything else, they do sign his paychecks.

Premium Features