• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2019 Cat Primary Clutch Not Shifting Fully

W

whittaker727

Nov 26, 2007
Naples, Id
Curious what others are or are not seeing. 2019 Silber Alpha running 5 psi on two separate sleds and we are both lacking roughly 1/2" - 3/4" from being fully shifted out. Stock helix, aftermarket springs in both and weights loaded toe heavy to 78 & 80 grams. Both pulling 8400-8450 rpm.
We also have an 18 Cat with a can and MDS clutching that is fully shifted to the edge of the primary. Was there a change in the clutches or their geometry for 19 that could be an issue? We don't have a stock Alpha or other 19 Cat to compare against.

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
2019 mt with silber at 6 psi 80g light in the tip and more mid load. I'm getting out to the last 1/4 of the primary but I did not put in the secondary spring provide by silber. the stock spring has a 20 lb less top finish rate.

N
Oct 15, 2018
Curious what others are or are not seeing. 2019 Silber Alpha running 5 psi on two separate sleds and we are both lacking roughly 1/2" - 3/4" from being fully shifted out. Stock helix, aftermarket springs in both and weights loaded toe heavy to 78 & 80 grams. Both pulling 8400-8450 rpm.
We also have an 18 Cat with a can and MDS clutching that is fully shifted to the edge of the primary. Was there a change in the clutches or their geometry for 19 that could be an issue? We don't have a stock Alpha or other 19 Cat to compare against.

Are you using Silber's clutching or did you go with Cycles & Sleds clutch kit?

I installed Cycles & Sleds kit on my 18 Mountain Cat but haven't got it on the snow yet, will check it out once I do.

W

whittaker727

Nov 26, 2007
Naples, Id
Are you using Silber's clutching or did you go with Cycles & Sleds clutch kit?

I installed Cycles & Sleds kit on my 18 Mountain Cat but haven't got it on the snow yet, will check it out once I do.

We have one of each. Same problem with both. Could also be the TKI belt drive. We opted for stock gear ratio, so I highly doubt that is the issue, but stranger things have happened.

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
The rpms seem good and the only way to get the belt to ride higher on the primary is to gear down.
Cat 1-1 ratio is 67mph and 74mph fully shifted out(full overdrive) so unless you have terrain where 67 or 74 can be achieved, the belt won’t go higher.
I like to gear down until I use all the sheave.

Last edited:
W

whittaker727

Nov 26, 2007
Naples, Id
So that would lead me to believe that everyone with a stock geared, boosted sled is seeing the same thing on their clutches? I'm sure I'm not the only one who would have noticed this by now.

W

whittaker727

Nov 26, 2007
Naples, Id
I might be willing to accept that possibility if it weren’t for the fact that 2 sleds from 2 different dealers in different states set up very close to the same are having the same issue. If that were the case, I would also think this would be applying to naturally aspirated sleds as well. At this point, all clutching aside from the stock helix has been changed.

K
Nov 13, 2013
Squamish BC
I might be willing to accept that possibility if it weren’t for the fact that 2 sleds from 2 different dealers in different states set up very close to the same are having the same issue. If that were the case, I would also think this would be applying to naturally aspirated sleds as well. At this point, all clutching aside from the stock helix has been changed.

I have a silbered alpha same issue.

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Post pics of the primary sheave and then we can compare each clutch and belt travel.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Most mountain sleds will rarely ever see the 60-70mph speeds necessary to shift out all the way. If they do it’s only for a very short period of time. Probably 80% of your time will be in half way shifted out rsnge or less. So most of you clutch wear will be in the first half of the clutch. I have 250 miles on my turbo alpha and I doubt it’s ever seen 60mph, probably mostly lives at 30-48mph which is where my clutch marks (wear) are.

Premium Features