• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Man Cave/Trophy Room...Let er Rip!

A

aebsledder

Jan 16, 2008
Gallatin Valley
Thought I would start this thread and update it as we progress in the build. I am building an addition on to a buddy's house and we sort of got our official start today. I work on large commercial buildings for a profession, so this will be a change of pace. I am doing a lot of the work myself, or helping wherever I can. This particular Man Cave/Trophy Room will have...
12 and a half foot walls
20' Interior vaulted ceilings
A "Wet" room with ducted heating to dry out sled gear/water ski gear
Steel Framed gas fireplace
Custom Storage Closets
60" Flat Screen TV
Numerous other bitchin amenities to be determined...

Today we grubbed the pad, removed some sidewalk, transplanted some trees, and excavated for the foundation system. Not a very exciting picture, but here is the hole. More to come...
photo2.jpg

hivoltagesledhead

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Nakusp, BC
Dude...must have minimum 5.1(7.1 preferrable) built in surround sound with speakers strategically placed and infrared remote control. Also a wet bar and urinal...just a thought.

A

aebsledder

Jan 16, 2008
Gallatin Valley
foundation

Dude...must have minimum 5.1(7.1 preferrable) built in surround sound with speakers strategically placed and infrared remote control. Also a wet bar and urinal...just a thought.

We are going do a more localized sound system, the ceilings are going to be so tall that the acoustics won't be ideal. I think a wet bar is definitely in the cards, I thought of a urinal too, but that might not work out. Got a little mud poured today, foundation walls tomorrow.

foundation.jpg

hivoltagesledhead

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Nakusp, BC
Ya know, back when we wuz kids in Newfoundland we wuld build drinking camps and drill a hole in da wall....insert a funnel wit a piece of garden hose and ....voila.....a poor mans urinal !!!

It was always great entertainment watching da ladies use it...lol:face-icon-small-hap

P

Powderboy

Nov 1, 2001
Renton, WA
Looks like a cool project. With those tall ceilings you should have at least one 4 post lift. Great for a car projects now and then or storage for extra muscle cars:face-icon-small-win

A

aebsledder

Jan 16, 2008
Gallatin Valley
That looks decent...

Something like this.......

But we were thinking more along these lines. We just need to come up with a little bit more cash. I included a video too. I am in Construction and this is one of the coolest things I have seen. I can't begin to imagine the engineering that went into it.
garagelift.jpg

P

Powderboy

Nov 1, 2001
Renton, WA
But we were thinking more along these lines. We just need to come up with a little bit more cash. I included a video too. I am in Construction and this is one of the coolest things I have seen. I can't begin to imagine the engineering that went into it.
garagelift.jpg

Thats awesome.

S

skidoorulz

Nov 21, 2007
Billings Montana
Saying someone with dark skin has dark skin is racist? Wow!!!!!! If I have a tan and someone says your skin sure is dark. Is that racist? Now back to the original post. Let's see more pictures

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
looks great....do you have one spot on each floor joist walls framed up wider to let a fat fella through if he has to crawl from one end to the other..??..im just a tubby plumber that looks for these things..lol..

A

aebsledder

Jan 16, 2008
Gallatin Valley
Yep

I sure do. I am a supt for a larger commercial company and I try to see a building from every trades perspective. One problem with construction these days is that no one cares about the other trades work. It is tough to tell from the pics, but on the ends of the support walls I have an opening that is 24" O.C.
The support walls are a massive amount of overkill anyways, but we wanted to make sure there is little movement in the subfloor system. Once all the MEP is finished, I will go down and screw another couple studs in place rather than nail. That way if he ever decides to add anything or just use it for storage it will be easy to just pop a stud out and get where you need to go.

hivoltagesledhead

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Nakusp, BC
I sure do. I am a supt for a larger commercial company and I try to see a building from every trades perspective. One problem with construction these days is that no one cares about the other trades work. It is tough to tell from the pics, but on the ends of the support walls I have an opening that is 24" O.C.
The support walls are a massive amount of overkill anyways, but we wanted to make sure there is little movement in the subfloor system. Once all the MEP is finished, I will go down and screw another couple studs in place rather than nail. That way if he ever decides to add anything or just use it for storage it will be easy to just pop a stud out and get where you need to go.

One of the first things I try to teach green guys is to always think of the person coming in behind you....ya never know...it might be youself and you will be happy to see that it was done right or prepped properly.

Premium Features