• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Which snow bike kit to purchase? Please help.

O
Oct 21, 2016
Hi Everyone!
My name is Csaba, and I am living in Hungary, Budapest.
I registered here hoping for information about snow bike conversion kits, getting to know others experiences, getting advice on choosing the right model for my riding habit.
Originally I am an enduro biker, I own a 2014 KTM 500 EXC, I ride in the forests of Hungary and - mainly - of Romania since 1998.
I had in the past a 2014 Ski-Doo Summit snow mobile, but I already sold it, as I found it less exciting than expected, too much like a heavy ATV.
I want something lighter, more handy. So I would like to try snow biking, but before I purchase a snow bike kit that costs 4-6K USD, I want to be sure, that I really buy what I need.
So getting to the question finally: In my country snow bike kits are totally new, actually I have not seen any snow bike here, so there is no one I can ask. I need to decide what brand (Timbersled seems to be the best), which system (long track, short track, wide track, narrow track, etc., with TSS or without, etc.) I should purchase.
In the area in Romania where I would be mostly riding, the mountains are between 800-1800 meters high, in the winter the depth of snow is somewhere between 0,5 – 2 meters, depending on the weather. The area is mostly forests, but there are also big open areas. I need to go 5km on public road, than around 10 km on wood roads and forest tracks in order to reach the untouched powder snow area which I like the best, so the snow kit should be suitable for both powder snow (which is my favorite) and dirt road, wood road and forest tracks. An all-rounder I would say. I will not make huge jumps, I am not a motocross-, but an enduro rider. I like steep ascents, scarps, twists and turns in the forests, and on the snow covered fields.
Please send me your opinion about the snow bike system I should aim for to suit my needs.
Thank you for your help in advance.

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
Timbersled would make sense long term if you have Polaris dealers? If not then any would work fine... Just depends on how rich you feel...

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
Are you talking about riding in on plowed dirt/paved roads?
If so, that will be just as hard on the ski and track/hyfax as on a sled, minus overheating issues.
The upside is if there's a foot wide (25cm lol) strip of snow, you can ride it on a bike. Know that snowbikes drive horribly on super hardpack/ ice. Need a little soft snow at least for traction and to not be tippy. If I had to ride 10km in on a plowed road every time, wear and tear aside, I would not be doing it on a Sno bike.
Back to the kit. Lower altitude so you got plenty of bike. Not a huge amount of snow, get a short track model unless you're a 300lb guy.
Timbersled is the obvious choice for history/product development/parts availability (which apparently is a current issue but should have access through Polaris soon).
Given the cost of importing etc, I'd look for a new hold over or lightly used Timbersled ST.
The other mfgs, Yeti and CMX are for all intents, top quality but also considerably more expensive. Haven't ridden them, but my old 2013 Tsled handles great. Off trail I see no need for the new features like pivoting suspension and rounded track profiles. On trail, haven't ridden them but could see a benefit there.
The other new guys, snotech, mototrax, and camso all appear to have awesome kits but I can't speak to them either.

I'd go Tsled ST.

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
You will need ice scratchers if you are on ice pack with no access to powder to keep the hifaxes coated

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

O
Oct 21, 2016
Thanks for the detailed answer!
I am talking about the possibility of riding on a paved road, covered with ice and/or a few centimeters of packed snow. Than when I reach the wood I need to take a 10 km bumpy forest road, where all the snow is packed because of the lot of snow mobiles that take the same route to go up to the mountains. I will try to avoid the paved road (this is possible), but I need to take the bumpy forest road every time I go up and down the mountain. Paved road is something to avoid, clear. But what about the bumpy forest road? It was not a big pleasure to ride on it when I had my snow mobile, but I could manage. Will it be more or less the same with the snow bike? Thanks again.

A

AKdragon700

Jan 14, 2008
Fairbanks, AK
Bumpy Trails

Thanks for the detailed answer!
I am talking about the possibility of riding on a paved road, covered with ice and/or a few centimeters of packed snow. Than when I reach the wood I need to take a 10 km bumpy forest road, where all the snow is packed because of the lot of snow mobiles that take the same route to go up to the mountains. I will try to avoid the paved road (this is possible), but I need to take the bumpy forest road every time I go up and down the mountain. Paved road is something to avoid, clear. But what about the bumpy forest road? It was not a big pleasure to ride on it when I had my snow mobile, but I could manage. Will it be more or less the same with the snow bike? Thanks again.

With a snowbike you are able to ride the edges of the trail and stay away from the bumps that snowmachines so commonly get sucked into. Also, with TSS, a steering stabilizer, and the correct fork setup; bumps do not phase me anymore and I can skip the tops of many.

If you are going to be riding a paved road, you may want to consider getting a Timbersled wheel kit or a Yeti spindle, ski, and wheel kit. Single skis do not like low snow and paved roads

mikew5945

Lifetime Membership
Aug 30, 2009
SW Montana
Do your research. Cost plus Parts.
Which unit or units sell the most parts that wear out? Why did it wear out? Who is always selling upgrade kits to fix a problem? What do the other kits have different and why? Belt drive or chain drive?
If you can't afford to run a good kit then you better be able to wait days for parts even in the States.
I'm still running the same belt (1.5 years) in the belt drive on my CMX. I had to buy a cross shaft between the slide rails because I hit a rock. Awesome unit.
Check out the Yeti, another great unit.

Premium Features