• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Making a Pro last and ride correctly...

C
Dec 24, 2014
Your right and I'm a liar.
There are no Polaris engine failures or QD failures unless they were on a turbo.
This is according to your snowest search so your search is thorough, worded correctly and it's gospel and none of the above ever happened.

Yea, sure buddy.

I never called you a liar, I responded to the OP stating that my experiences with the Pro are different. I responded to you with what I found, have you taken your own advice before posting?

It was YOUR idea to search the forums, I just reported what I found when I took YOUR suggestion.

kanedog...

"Try the search function and report back as to your findings on Poo blown motors and Poo blown QD belts."

It is a dumb comparison anyway. You will never change peoples minds. 50 out of 52 races at Jackson go to Polaris, best selling sled in the world for the last 3 years. Must be everybody else that is wrong...

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
The guys who do the most complaining do the least riding.

DPG
Ain't that the truth. 5th year riding a pro and no tow-outs. I have bent an a-arm...that hit would have bent something much more substantial on a doo...I promise.. The easiest fix kit for a pro is letting it warm up, and not overheating it. The best brace kit is the same as the doo...it's called "if you hit sh1t hard enough, it will get expensive." PM me for pricing.

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
C.O- I get that I won't change everyone's mind about Polaris. That wasn't my goal. I was simply disagreeing with you that Polaris engines don't fail. I myself ride a Polaris.

In my opinion, they are complete junk mechanical wise. You spend 12-15k on it new, then you get to dump another 3k just to get it to hold together and not burn belts.

I would get another one as there are only 4 choices to choose from and they all have major issues. Except for yammi but they are too heavy for where I ride.
Cheers!

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
the only thing poo hasnt copied is the engine and the yellow color.
Pizzing contest aside, the pol has many aspects of the chasis that are ahead of the doo. The use of adhesive, 2 piece bulkhead, belt drive, coil over rear suspension would all be pretty likely to surface in doos next chassis. Concurrently, pol may adapt a teeter totter, flex track, etc. The doo direct injection engine, is a generation ahead of pol...more power and reliability. Just like the pol chassis is ahead of doo...lighter and just as strong.

R

rmk8001

Oct 27, 2008
funny just pulled a ski don't out the otherday that seized the motor with my "piece of **** 06 900 rmk time bomb" funny second ski don't motor my friend lost and I've owned 3 poo 800's and also a 900 never a motor failure or chassis fail and oh yeah i hit stuff and run stuff over all the time riding with blown motor guy most the time. also saw a ski don't burn down because of the same 87 octane that was in my poo's tank. apparently polaris makes a crappy motor?

C
Dec 24, 2014
C.O- I get that I won't change everyone's mind about Polaris. That wasn't my goal. I was simply disagreeing with you that Polaris engines don't fail. I myself ride a Polaris.

In my opinion, they are complete junk mechanical wise. You spend 12-15k on it new, then you get to dump another 3k just to get it to hold together and not burn belts.

I would get another one as there are only 4 choices to choose from and they all have major issues. Except for yammi but they are too heavy for where I ride.
Cheers!

No offense but, I think you are doing it ll wrong...

Some Polaris engines fail, it is a very small percentage and it has gone down. Cylinders and pistons have changed since the '12 models as have fuel maps and oil settings. The '14s are around 40:1 where many of the 11s and 12s were being delivered at 65:1. No wonder they blew up. The 13s and 14s are not blowing up, not that I have seen. My 13 ran flawlessly last season for 1300 miles. I lost a QD belt early on because I didn't break it in properly. That belt has been improved and I just do not see those failures anymore either.

My holdover '14 cost me $10k with a 4 year bumper to bumper warranty. I have not and will not dump a penny into to get it to hold together. I will simply sell it after a couple of seasons and replace it with a new one.

Yes, no Yammicat for me either. That is an extra 100lbs I not need to horse around.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
The kind of person who thinks the poo has a great motor, is only equaled by the kind of person who thinks the S module on the front of the doo is a GREAT piece of engineering...

Poo: best sled on the snow, pretty hard to argue that, WORST MOTOR, just as hard to argue.

Doo: weakest, most worthless front end design that holds tons of snow & ice, but otherwise good chassis (one piece tunnel is almost as stupid as the S module too...), and solid motor (I'd still rather have a cat motor)

EVERY sled has upsides & downsides, none of them are plain "better"... it's a matter of what attribute you choose to see as the needed thing for YOU.

Me, I'll brace the pitiful front end, put better arms on, do some ergonomics work on my doo, rather than losing my warranty making a poo a decent motor.

rmking700

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2014
Utah
Sitting on a stock 12 pro even Polaris oil cap 2974 original miles. Never seen a blown up pro in person (not saying it doesn't happen) towed a 14 xm out Sunday with a broken crank tho.

B
Nov 26, 2007

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Out of our riding group in the last few years, these are the sleds that have been towed out: my 05 M7 from a broken spider, 09 M1000 helix bolts backed out, 12 M800 broken primary weight bolt, 12 M1100 dead short in wiring harness, my 14 Pro-lite broken chain, 07 600 RMK lost a cylinder, 13 RMK 800s three times from blown QD belts, 13 RMK 800 with separated a-arm, 14 RMK 800 driveshaft, 14 RMK 800 broken primary clutch, and 07 Ski-Doo XRS with carb issues. Have seen some various other issues and some hair-lipped front ends, but I will say we have actually towed home the fewest number of Ski-Doos.

Premium Features