• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

XM vs XP

J

Jermbob

Oct 29, 2010
Winter Park
I was just trying to answer the post for the guy. Yes the XM is better but after spending a lot of time on my XP this spring, trail riding that is, I had a blast on it with a few minor changes.

H

Hiterhard

Oct 13, 2008
Northern WY
My 12 xp was pretty good before I put the t-motion upgrade on. Expecially coming off an 09 xp. but the addition of the t-motion made it much easier to hold a sidehill, and give less rider input to get it on its side. If I had never rode an XM I would have thought the 12 XP with t-mo was as good as it gets! But there is a noticeable difference between the XP and XM but its not as huge as everyone thinks. Where the XP lacks IMO is on its running boards and the way it gets on top of the snow. The XM just seems to get on top and keep going where the XP trenches a bit and falls short. I know you (Minet) were making me offers on my 12 and I thought I would give you my unbiased oppinion, and not try and sell you on a 12. That being said, there are great things that are the same between the two, the engine is the same and it pulls hard. If you added to my sled airframes,(which I was going to do if I didn't snowcheck), C3 post forward and maybe Toms powder wedges you would have a great sled in the XP. And one that could hang with the XM in most situations with the right rider of course:face-icon-small-win.

RobertTrivanovic

Lifetime Membership
Nov 8, 2012
Abbotsford BC
I was just trying to answer the post for the guy. Yes the XM is better but after spending a lot of time on my XP this spring, trail riding that is, I had a blast on it with a few minor changes.

If you said we were talkin about trail riding then is say the XP is one of the best. That's what it's made for (basically). I can't keep up on my m8 on the trails to my buddy on an XP. Once we get into the mountains though its the other way around.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
If you said we were talkin about trail riding then is say the XP is one of the best.

Yeah, that's pretty much what Jermbob does, rides trail. I showed him a mountain once, but he was scared & went back to the truck... :D He said it was like super intimidating.:face-icon-small-win

It's funny, Jermbob & I were talking this winter about how HORRID the XM is on the trail, and how it actually made getting to places fun again because it was such a challenge to haul balls to a spot! I about ate SH*** on my first ride on one coming into a corner!!!!

RobertTrivanovic

Lifetime Membership
Nov 8, 2012
Abbotsford BC
Yeah, that's pretty much what Jermbob does, rides trail. I showed him a mountain once, but he was scared & went back to the truck... :D He said it was like super intimidating.:face-icon-small-win

It's funny, Jermbob & I were talking this winter about how HORRID the XM is on the trail, and how it actually made getting to places fun again because it was such a challenge to haul balls to a spot! I about ate SH*** on my first ride on one coming into a corner!!!!

I went for a trail ride once too.... Got to the spot pretty fast I'd say!

av8er

Lifetime Membership
Sep 16, 2006
Kalispell, MT.
XM turbo builders

it's too bad there aren't very many guys building Good turbo's for the XM yet. the XM is a great sled. TSS seems to have a nice turbo system.

A
Nov 26, 2007
a gimmick that has changed skidoo from the worst carving sled on the market to one of the best. if that's a gimmick they should do a few more;)

Take an XP and change the front end and spindles to an XM. Do not place a T-motion on it. This is where you will get the easier to sidehill effect.

Put a T-Motion on a stock XP front end with normal XP spindles you will notice no change whatsoever. What changes the sled is having the ski's more forward which the XM spindles do.
We have tried it both ways on XP's....and came to this conclusion.

The T-motion is a gimmick in itself to make you believe you are getting something extra for the money you are spending. PRO RMK's don't have any type of pivoting rear skid and they side hill with ease just like an XM. This is just something we figured out and thought I would share. The front end and spindles do make a huge difference.

Last edited:

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
the tmotion totally changes the way the xp rolls up on edge and stays there. did you guys actually ride them??? without it I would have sold the xp and bought something else. for my type of riding the self leveling effect of the xp made it one of the worst handling sleds I've ever rode. couldn't imagine wanting to fight the thing all day to keep it up on edge. pop in the tmo and it went to one awesome carving machine, not one other change just the tmo. the spindles on the xp are fine, if you want a sled that will carve all day long buy the tmo and put it in a xp... it is the best gimmick doo has ever come up with!!!

love the tmoxp...

Last edited:

hilpulr

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
Corvallis MT
XP

I love reading this i rode a modded m1000 for years and thought it was great then i bought a holdover 2011 XP and couldnt be happier. Have never ridden an XM though i would probably want one then!!

T
Nov 30, 2012
Sisters, Oregon
Totally stoked! I have been waiting for the right sled to come along. Finally found it yesterday. 2013 black on black Summit X 163", rooster built clutch, Toms wedges, and a few other goodies. This poor sled was the sad by product of a divorce. Still hd 4.5 years left on the extended warranty.

Can't wait for the snow to come!!!!

idahoskiguy

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
Boise, ID
Purchased a 2011 SP 154 P-tek electric start new after riding Cat for a very long time. Really never made friends with the SP until I installed the T-motion. Wow! suddenly the sled was a lot easier to ride, I mostly boondock.

Spent a day on a 2014 X Demo last spring and snow checked a 2014 X 163 ES black on black with 4 year bumper to bumper warranty.

Reasons for making the switch:
1. E-tek motor (no more carbs, less smoke, better mileage and self fogging for end of season storage)
2. Riding position is 8 inches further forward....this really works for my riding style.
3. Better running boards
4. Smaller/shorter seat for easier transitions from side to side.
5. Flex-edge track
6. Heated storage box in hood.
7. Four year warranty....plan on upgrading every two years and selling a sled with two years warranty remaining should add some value to the resale price.

I was not unhappy with the XP, but all the improvements to the XM work together to make it a better sled.

T

T.O.T.

Dec 26, 2012
I get so tickled at all the "guys" responses of "Buy an XM the XP sucks!" I started riding a little over a year ago on an old Rev. Started last season on the Rev and couldn't side hill at all. Bought a used '08 XP (the one everyone says is soooo bad) and now I am boondocking all over! I find the XP much easier to ride then older sleds and while I have not stepped across the XM I can appreciate that a small framed chic can ride the crap out of an XP so they obviously can't be that hard to ride! While there are specific mods I want to do to mine like the S-36 to narrow the front end and the shock relocate and longer center shock, the 11-12 XPs already have this. I am opting out of the T-motion as I have heard some concerns about it and like somone mentioned earlier it is not a must have if you are a technical rider. Am I tired at the end of the day? Well of course! But really are we supposed to feel well rested like we sat on the couch all day????? New sleds are soooo expensive and like a computer they lose value quickly! Much rather spend a lot less on a decent sled and then make it as good or better then a new sled with a few mods!

Premium Features