• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What kind of riding do folks do??

riding type

• Technical riding, treed sidehilling type terrain

Votes: 231 74.5%
  • Meadows, lakes, low angle glades

Votes: 43 13.9%
  • Trails

Votes: 5 1.6%
  • Climbing/ highmarking/ chutes

Votes: 27 8.7%
  • Jumping

Votes: 4 1.3%

• Total voters

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
I DO NOT want this to turn into a "you're not as cool as we are" thread, so want the results anonymous I think I did it right), but after some recent comments about what folks think most folks ride, I really am curious what people actually ride as their bread & butter kind of terrain.

I suppose all of us to some extent assume that most folks do whatever it is we do, so each of our opinions of what "the norm" is, is probably about useless.

I know this isn't perfect, but just go with whatever you do "primarily".

Last edited:

1BIGCAT

Jan 15, 2008
Manitou Springs, Colorado
You forgot all of the above option Kaleb,seems like wherever we go we end up riding all of that in one day, but the technical chit has got to be the best!

Last edited:

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
You forgot all of the above option Kaleb,seems like wherever we go we end up riding all of that in one day, but the technical chit has got to be the best!

Bah... I know you sallies down south just ride the trails :D

Downhill turns I suppose just depends on whether it's in a big open low angle meadow type hill, or on a steep nasty sidehill full of trees.

The other day Jeff C posted this:

Frankly, most people on this forum are not "technical" riders. Most people on this forum have no interest in sidehilling through trees.

And it just kind of surprised me, and got me thinking... I ASSUME that most people do what we do to at least some extent, but clearly if someone can think that "most" people aren't into that kind of riding, that my assumption is pretty off base, so I figured F it, just ask the question.

I know not everyone has 60 days a year to refine their riding, but all the guys that I've ever ridden with from out east or the midwest (who obviously don't ride as often)... guys like breeze, johnmaster, and a few others... they come out here & they want to bang, they head straight for the trees, and make lots of us locals feel like we need to be trying harder :D

stusnow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Monashee Mtns
Dammit I knew I should've been more specific. Over the hood deep snow, long steep descent with nice spaced trees and few 10-15 foot drops or rollers. Get to the bottom and climb back to the top for another run. Hopefully doing just that in a few months!

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
Nothing like spending a day in the trees, no roads, no trails, just you and your buds!!! Those are the days to live for. Luckily we have plenty of them around here:)

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Sandman... it looks like you guys are really lacking in the tree riding there though huh? That's unfortunate!:face-icon-small-win

This is what is closest to me (10 min from my place)

184224_1579892419291_427335_n.jpg

But there's just so many different options on types of riding to do around here.

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
Tough poll BCL. I mean I would feel sorry for anyone that got stuck in one type of terrain.

Here in B.C., you start on a trail, get off on the nearest meadow you pick to leave the trail and jump in and out of every creek at least five times, head into the trees as soon as everyone is in sight and try to get everyone else stuck as you work up in elevation, then you poke a couple of pokes in the alpine stopping to view on bluebird days or head back down asap when everyone is in sight on low cloud days, then jump all the way down taking the shortest route the group can handle , then you shred the last of the creeks in the meadows until the group is all in sight, then you hit the trail home and try to be all dressed and loaded before any one else comes in, all with a perma grin, all in the same day, all with the knowledge tomorrow you can do it all again but never taking the same route twice, and finally all with the knowledge that the next snow is going to cover it all up until spring.

So,,, where does that put us?

C
Feb 5, 2010
Norway
I do ride 10% on trails. Transport from the parking lot too playground!
80% of time I ride in the forest sidehilling, doing downhill u turns, small climbs between trees and having a blast not being afraid of denting and scratching my 13 ltd :D
Last 10% is some hillclimbs, donuts and doing wheelies on frosen lakes when there is any pow! :D

B

Bacon

Nov 26, 2007
Napoleon, ND
Where's the keyboard riding? I would suspect that overall, most people aren't as extreme or as good of riders as they write about on here. If you have to tell people your good, your probably not. I'm with Geo, I ride most of that terrain at one time or another throughout the day. The song " I'm not as good as I once was" comes to mind when I go riding. :face-icon-small-con

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
I used to ride in certain groups that only wanted to do one thing, whether it was climbing chutes and open faces, banging trees, hitting cornices and building jumps. If I was going riding with the jump group, I brought the SX sled. If we were climbing chutes, the big iron came out, etc etc. Basically the reason I have 3 sleds in the garage.

Now I like to to a bit of everything. My day isn't fulfilled unless I hit a few good jumps, make a few ridiculous lines thru the trees, and crest the top of a gnarly climb or two. Anyday I can rip thru a few creeks and find a new "trail" to where we are going is always the most fun. Hell, I even like rat-racing down the trail at the end of the day too. My perfect day now is a mix of every aspect. If I can check everything off the list in one day of riding, that's what I'm looking for nowadays.

Last edited:

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Now like to to a bit of everything. My day isn't fulfilled unless I hit a few good jumps, make a few ridiculous lines thru the trees, and crest the top of a gnarly climb or two.

I'm pretty much the same. I LOVE to jump, but I also enjoy trees, and really like being the first up a chute everyone has been looking at for 20 minutes & nobody wants to commit to... (yeah, I ride the shortest sled in the group, WHICHEVER group I'm with keep in mind)

I do really enjoy having a bit of everything in a day!

You'll notice "how good are you", "how high an angle sidehill" or anything like that has been left out. This isn't about being good, it's about what you enjoy.
I love being pushed, and pushing, whoever I ride with, whatever I'm doing.
Honestly, the one thing that takes the fun out of my day is someone who's there just kinda coasting, and has no desire to get better, whatever they're doing.

Either way, it appears that this poll confirms what I had thought, but I was willing to admit I was full of poo too if I was completely off base. The comment "most people don't want to sidehill in the trees" just surprised me, and got me very curious.

Last edited:

mmsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Preston, Idaho
hubsperformance.com
what kind of riding?

I love to be pushed or ride with guys that will push their limits. I ride with all sorts but rarely pushed so I find I push myself. The one thing I do not do much is jump. never really rode with anyone that does excerpt Ryan Britt in Alaska and Chris Brandt but not enough to get any good at it. Maybe this year someone with some big air skills could come out teach me how . I would imagine it's just a matter of doing it. I might want to get me an older sled vs my 20k prolite. :)

Last edited:
Premium Features