• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

1 1/4 inch rip saw

J
May 26, 2008
wisconsin
i just got done replacing all the bearings in my 1997 xc 600 with xtra-10 sus. and i installed a 1 1/4 inch rip saw but dont seem to have the clearance i need it hits the tunnel protectors and i also installed 144 studs that stick out about 1/4 inch do i have to install smaller tunnel protectors or what to give me the clearance i need without damage to the tunnel from the studs the protectors that are in the tunnel mow are 3/4 inch?????????

L
Jul 18, 2001
WA
coolers or tunnel protectors

tunnel protectors? Are they finned?:confused:
Those are your coolers on an XC so your studs had better not hit them.

F
Dec 4, 2008
I'm also wondering about this. on my 98 xc 121" The cooling rails are placed over the track windows, and act as the tunnel protectors. I don't really see them being an issue, but the front cooling block might be. Can't remember if they had the same set-up on the 97 600, or if they are under the running boards...keep us posted on developments.

J
May 26, 2008
wisconsin
the coolers are under the running boards and the front cooler the track seems to clear by about 3/4 to 1 inch there are no coolers on the underside of the tunnel those are just protectors I read all these posts of people putting 1 1/4 tracks on there mid 90's sleds do i have to drill out another mounting hole in the tunnel to drop the suspention a little. the back bold is as low as it can go. there is no drop bracket just the hole in the tunnel for the rear mount on the suspension:confused:

L
Dec 6, 2008
as long as you don't hit your front cooler, the protectors can be cut down or even removed (not advised). the protectors are just plastic, i say cut them down a 1/4" or so and call it good. but thats me.

J
May 26, 2008
wisconsin
the tunnel protectors are not plastic they are alum. and are just protectors the cooling radiators are under the footwell the track clears the front cooler just fine thats not a concern just the tunnel

sledhead Ed

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Tyngsboro Mass.
Just notch the track lugs above the windows to clear the tunnel protectors. Done it on my 98xc 700 and a couple of customers that I put 1.25 lug track on. It doesn't matter if it's coolers or protector trim the lugs to fit or do what some Idiots do and run the track and let it wear itself to the protectors. leave the tunnel protecotrs in there so when the track balloons while spinning the studs don't wear the tunnel.

Premium Features