• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Cooke City Exxon/Polaris. . . if you ride in Cooke City period READ THIS

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

scotty b

Feb 28, 2010
I would guess by the locations of the people who have had bad experiences one conclusion can be made...This Rick guy clearly has a vendetta against people from the midwest, specifically North Dakota and Minnesota. Maybe he is a Packers fan? Or maybe he was pissed the cats lost to North Dakota State? Maybe he didn't like the movie Fargo? (One of my personal favorites) He might be afraid of lakes...or wheat farms. All kidding aside, I can't wait to go to cooke this year.

Thats the best re EVER

Feb 11, 2010
It's been a long time since I've been to Cooke, the winter of 04'. Not sure who owned the Exxon station then but we spent money at both of them. People seemed nice enough. We dealt with the AC dealer, it was Brandon then, it's sold since then right? Overall enjoyed our trip out there and would like to go back someday.

A

addam27

Dec 9, 2008
I agree, Cooke City Exxon Sucks!

I have ridden in cooke for many years. And I had a very similar experience there last year. Both people I interacted with were very rude and not willing to help at all. I will never set foot in there again, and I now haul my own fuel in. For you who know the owners and are treated well, that's great, but for the rest of us, it sucks.

S

Sledsniper

Nov 26, 2007
Eastern Montana
My brother inlaw broke his crank in Cooke a few years ago.It was a polaris.It broke at like 2pm.They had it fixed and running with all new parts by 8 the next morning.Not many dealers stock that kind of inventory. A buddy of mine needed a new clutch for his polaris. The dealer in Billings didn't stock it but Cooke Exxon did and was cheeper.I recevied the same kind of service from Bob when he owned Arctic Cat.
I have learned one thing from having my own buisness YOU CANT MAKE EVERONE HAPPY!

O

obch0501

Oct 7, 2008
not to bad mouth the owner of exxon but the sevice and mechanics that were there last year were terrible. I had a 2010 dragon 155 with 100 miles on it and it was going into limp mode because of det. issues because of bad fuel. they had no time while their shop was empty to hooke my sled up to the computer and tell me what was wrong. They also said my warranty didnt apply out there and I should go ride my sled and if it blew up it would be under warranty at my dealer back home. well i didnt want to get stranded in the mountains so i asked what it would take to have them take a look and it was the same as everyone else's story. haha what bull$**t. one more thing I was informed about--THE FUEL AT THE EXXON HAS RUST IN IT!!!! Their tanks are going bad so if u do head out there be sure to fuel up at the sinclair or buy a 55 gallon drum and save your self the headache from dealing with a$$holes. cooke is a great place to ride and bearclaw will take care of you very well! on a better note I put 500 miles on my dragon since this trip and I love the sled it runs perfect now thanks to my dealer for taking care of my problems when i got back in 30 minutes time

C

Clarke673

Somewhere between too dumb to quit and flat earth
Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana
not to bad mouth the owner of exxon but the sevice and mechanics that were there last year were terrible. I had a 2010 dragon 155 with 100 miles on it and it was going into limp mode because of det. issues because of bad fuel. they had no time while their shop was empty to hooke my sled up to the computer and tell me what was wrong. They also said my warranty didnt apply out there and I should go ride my sled and if it blew up it would be under warranty at my dealer back home. well i didnt want to get stranded in the mountains so i asked what it would take to have them take a look and it was the same as everyone else's story. haha what bull$**t. one more thing I was informed about--THE FUEL AT THE EXXON HAS RUST IN IT!!!! Their tanks are going bad so if u do head out there be sure to fuel up at the sinclair or buy a 55 gallon drum and save your self the headache from dealing with a$$holes. cooke is a great place to ride and bearclaw will take care of you very well! on a better note I put 500 miles on my dragon since this trip and I love the sled it runs perfect now thanks to my dealer for taking care of my problems when i got back in 30 minutes time

I would realy like to know how you came upon this information about the rust in the tanks... :boink:

As for poor survice in cooke, they are a small town, 150 miles away from the next closest dealer ship/large town. They also have 1000 people there who spent alot of money to drive acrost the country to go sleding. Everyone wants their stuff done first and their problem is more imprtant than anyone else's. Rick does good work and has always been nice to me. Bob also has a good buisness and has also been nice to me, along with the articat place.

If you came into my buisness i would tell you to take your damn helmet off as well.

B
Jan 21, 2003
I stopped in to Exxon to see if I could get some warrenty work done on my new xp or if they had the part I would pay for it and put it on myself if they didn't have time. It was only a nut that backed off the secondary clutch adjuster and I lost the set screws that sets the belt deflection. Susan didn't know what to look for and didn't want bother rick so when I asked her if maybe I could explain to rick what I needed and I would be on my way...her exact words were "how do you expect him to get anything done with people like you who keep bothering him"...I walked out the door so damn mad and headed over to cooke city motorsports where Brandon let me dig threw his parts bin and find something that would work..oh and he didn't charge me a thing....I won't step foot in that place any more, and now that he owns both gas stations I have found other ways of getting fuel in Cooke...just my past experience...I could write alot more about the other bad experiences there but you all get the idea.

Last edited:

pureadrenaline

Lifetime Membership
Oct 28, 2008
I have walked into plenty places with my helmet on! Everything from dealerships, to banks and NEVER had a problem. Sounds like its time to upgrade to a Cat and bring your own gas in, since customer service is obviously dying...

skiwiz

Lifetime Membership
Oct 12, 2008
laramie wy
I have walked into plenty places with my helmet on! Everything from dealerships, to banks and NEVER had a problem. Sounds like its time to upgrade to a Cat and bring your own gas in, since customer service is obviously dying...

Oh I get it You probaly have one of thoose prescription helments .

S

skidoorulz

Nov 21, 2007
Billings Montana
I've been going to Cooke for 25 years and know both Rick and Bob, they are both very good people. I have bought 2 sleds from Rick and a whole lot more from other dealers. I remember my wifes sled breaking down one trip, it was a Polaris, Rick could not get it fixed that night and we were supposed to leave. Rick offered ust the use of his couch to spend the night but we were able to find a room for the night, the sled wasn't even bought from him. With Rick you get what you give! I have never had any trouble with Rick or Susan. As far as pulling a part off of a new sled buried in 4 feet of snow, Have you never heard of flooring? If those sleds are floored and an auditor from Polaris comes out to spot check inventory and parts are robbed from a floored sled, Rick could lose his dealership. Not worth it to help someone who did not buy his sled from hin IMO. Now for Bob. He is a great guy also. I seriously thought about switching to AC years ago when he was the dealer because of Bob. The differance is Bob has no one to answer to when it comes to what can and cannot be done, i.e. Factories. I am sure Rick's bread and butter is warranty work. Bob has to make money however he can. I also know that Cooke is not the same place as it was 25 years ago, and I very seldom go there anymore because of ( now don't take this wrong) the arrogance of the people that are coming there now. There seems to be an urgency that there never used to be. The people who can go there evry weekend seemed to have the attitude if the sled broke they would tow it back to the truck and go home and fix it and would be back there in 5 days. Now the ones that are coming only come 2 or 3 times a year and want to track up as much snow as they can in the time they are there. I can only imagine that I may be the same if I were to drive 1000 miles to ride. Personally I don't think I would if I had to drive that far. I would like to hear Rick's side of the story, I am sure it would be slightly differant. I also know guys that would never darken Bob's doorstep again.

T
Jan 9, 2009
FGFDSJ GIRETP9IU N RT9 GPUIPFG FPDOGI PREROTU ASPDGU What, i can not hear you through your helmet, face mask, and fogged up goggles. If you walk into a public place wether it be bank, bar, or gas station remove your helmet. I have know Rick and Susan for some year's now and have nothing but great thing's to say about them. You need to understand also that they see alot of asses in a year. Put yourself in there shoes and try to last a winter with beg's and pleases for a dollar tip. It is a business they have run in a very remote area and do IMO a great job at. Knock Rick more and ask him to save your *** or a buddies with your life at stake. DONE!!! Winter is his bread and butter. He will work more hour's in a week then you or I in 2. So he own's 2 gas station's in a small town. Do you think that he makes a killing from may through novermber? If it pisses you off soo much buy a gas station and dealership in Cooke and live there for a whole winter and cater to every single winer or good being at your bekon call. If not, it is not fair to post something like this about someone and their lively hood on snowest. This is not a middle school "chat room."

F

fraufarm

Nov 27, 2007
North Dakota
time to let it go

no kidding let the thread die, i dont care how damn busy you are, treat customers with respect you dont have to be an *** hole no matter how busy you may be, its your business and if you want a little more butter on that bread you act like you need it! from the majority of responses it sounds like im not the only one with these problems.....i started this thread to give bob credit because he was the one who turned my trip around and tell ppl about my bad experience not bash rick on his avalanche and rescue techniques and skills

pureadrenaline

Lifetime Membership
Oct 28, 2008
On a side note, this isn't the only dealership I have seen who does more to push customers away than bring them in. I have tried several dealerships(Yami, Doo, Poo, and Cat) and I can honestly say that I have only found ONE dealership that would go out of their way to help someone. Unfortunately I found them last season back in NY before I moved to MT. If I could afforded it and was back in the market for a Doo rather than a Cat I would buy one from them and ship it here, but that just isn't in the cards right now.

pure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Premium Features