• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

900 Mountain Cat opinions?

A

ACMtnCat

Nov 26, 2007
Utah
Well I only like to ride on the trail 98% of the time so I stand behind my post. The xp is the greatest trail sled ever made!!!!!!! If you think your stupid cat can hang with me on a ''trail ride only then bring it on punk'' I will show you I have had it up too 45mph in a tight right hand turn more than once. HA HA put that in your pipe and smoke it boy

Hmmm..... Yeah you guys on the XPs like to watch us ride the steep and deep from the trail all the time!

They usually cruise on by all the soft stuff!??? :plol

Last edited:

1Mike900

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Bellevue, Wa
Idacatman,"76, And Untouchable If you were to put an aftermarket pipe on what would it be for a single? CPI, Speedwerx, SLP etc...? Has any of you replaced the stock Y pipe with an aftermarket? What was the intent of the baffle inside the stocker, Throttle response, Less exhaust dilution in cylinders? I seem to recall not to mix up the carbed Y pipe with the EFI one on the "05 and later ones. Also the 03.5 had 8mm opening reeds in them, "04 and later ZR's and I don't know if the KK went to 11mm reed stops. Heard this makes a difference in all around performance, Cheap upgrade without the expense of aftermarket reeds. The other thing is the 9 post clutch, Works good but I think it is a "cracker" Would replace with later model 6 post? An 03.5 will run hard, Just keep varying the throttle through the mid range lean spot. Mine seems to be one of those one off sleds, I often wonder if it is really is 862cc! Maybe thats why they BB the XP to this size?

Mike

H

high time

Nov 28, 2007
Duluth, MN
I can't help on jetting, I'm running 44mm roundslides.

and Jaws D-pipes, advance timming and porting, so I wouldn't use any of my calibratons.

Owen

Idcatman3

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
We use Black Magic singles on all our twins, they seem to work very well and be very little if any louder than stock. We don't change the y-pipe, just never got around to it I guess. We used SLP twins on the triple we built, they work well, but you can tell when the tuning gets off as you change altitude. (It doesn't matter much, there's enough power to pull through, but you can tell :D)

We use V-force 3 reeds in pretty much anything, so I wasn't aware of the difference in the stock ones.

We also use the 6 post clutch on all of them, it's more durable. We run the harmonic balance plate on the back of them, it damps the vibrations at low speeds.

You can mostly tune the mid-range lean spot out, you've just got to work at it. It does seem that ~860cc is a sweet spot, but the 975 really works well also.

Meatman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
skyhigh...if you end up getting one I got some parts for ya, I'm parting out an 04 King Cat and I may have a front mount steering post, drop brackets, an RKT head and an EGT gauge and probes. I have a lot of other stuff too :D

1Mike900

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Bellevue, Wa
Another thing I was thinking is on a 03 is run premium fuel only with the advanced ignition. I think 87 octane is boarder line especially if someone removed the tank cover and is exposing sunlight to the gas all day! There is a reason why there covered! If it were me I would paint the tank with a good plastic black paint and leave clear sight gauges on ea. side. I often wonder why some at the end of the day end up burning down on the way home, Maybe exposed fuel to sunlight? Thanks also for the exhaust reply, I have heard by others that the Y pipe was worth roughly 4 to 5 BHP?

Mike

Last edited:
J

joshua335

Nov 26, 2007
Calgary, AB
I own a 03 900 and really enjoy it, but.... I think if your used to riding a XP you're going to be really dissapointed with the old cat chassis. I rode a rev a few times this yr, and going back to the cat it felt so outdated. Right now I'm leaning towards a newer sled too.
I'd recommend looking at a newer chassis if you have a chance, maybe a rev?

S
Dec 8, 2007
I picked up the 03 900 today. It already has the steering post mod, a pipe and can, and reverse! For the price differance between a rev I'll learn to love the ride. Groomed trails up here I come!:)

1Mike900

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Bellevue, Wa
Good for you, I hope you enjoy it! At least we have another in the group! If you need parts like rear axle with stock wheels, Front shocks ,Windshield, Flap etc... Just give others or myself a hollar.

Mike

76FOMOCO

Apr 18, 2007
Nampa, Idaho
Idacatman,"76, And Untouchable If you were to put an aftermarket pipe on what would it be for a single? CPI, Speedwerx, SLP etc...? Has any of you replaced the stock Y pipe with an aftermarket? What was the intent of the baffle inside the stocker, Throttle response, Less exhaust dilution in cylinders? I seem to recall not to mix up the carbed Y pipe with the EFI one on the "05 and later ones. Also the 03.5 had 8mm opening reeds in them, "04 and later ZR's and I don't know if the KK went to 11mm reed stops. Heard this makes a difference in all around performance, Cheap upgrade without the expense of aftermarket reeds. The other thing is the 9 post clutch, Works good but I think it is a "cracker" Would replace with later model 6 post? An 03.5 will run hard, Just keep varying the throttle through the mid range lean spot. Mine seems to be one of those one off sleds, I often wonder if it is really is 862cc! Maybe thats why they BB the XP to this size?

Mike

I'm in the same boat as Idacatman i run 48 mm cpc flat slides and jaws twin Ds choked down to 33mm with a 990 speedwerx 91 mm piston with a lot of porting. I still run the 9 tower but take and have them balanced with out weights and this helps a little on the bottom. as for pipe and Y i have never ventured out past the stock stuff, the reed seem to work better stock even with v3 i still went back to the stockers. for the money the v 3 are not worth it.
1 move to the forward mount post 2+ taller
2 higher seat (boss seats suck find some other vendor who cares about their customers)
3 snow eliminators
4 drop bracket's
5 vent the chit out of it
6 block off right side intake by the exhaust side
7 seal exhaust joints and out let in belly pan real good
8 check ground wire on motor to chassis for breakage and replace with #10 wire out of sjow cord (high compact stranding and very flexible and will not break due to vibration)
9 fill bar end full of foam to help keep heat in the hand warmers cuz they suck.
10 stock ski's are good if you put the doulleys from woodies on them.
11 replace the top gear with a new 20T and new chain.
12 grease all jack shaft and speedo bearing often.

good luck with the new ride and hold on tight and if the front end come up too much pull the limiter strap up one hole.:D

Last edited:

1Mike900

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Bellevue, Wa
This thread is going to be a saver, We should make this into the same as the 900 Polaris threads! "Poor Ol'e 900 Puttitat" Lots of good info here, One of the best yet!

Mike

mattymac

Lifetime Membership
Apr 12, 2004
Sutter Ca.
get rid of the oring groved bearings in the chaincase, and keep the speedo bearing greased up good.

NA setups I have had awesome luck with the SLP twins, also non setscrew clutches I always run polaris 10 series weights.

oh yeah turbo'd they run pretty good as well!!! 9lbs 230 hp, this motor responds very well to boost!!!!!!

K

kidrman

Nov 21, 2007
Spokane WA
get rid of the oring groved bearings in the chaincase, and keep the speedo bearing greased up good.

NA setups I have had awesome luck with the SLP twins, also non setscrew clutches I always run polaris 10 series weights.

oh yeah turbo'd they run pretty good as well!!! 9lbs 230 hp, this motor responds very well to boost!!!!!!

Matty, What do you like on the 10 series weights over cat weights?

P
Nov 20, 2008
I'm in the same boat as Idacatman i run 48 mm cpc flat slides and jaws twin Ds choked down to 33mm with a 990 speedwerx 91 mm piston with a lot of porting. I still run the 9 tower but take and have them balanced with out weights and this helps a little on the bottom. as for pipe and Y i have never ventured out past the stock stuff, the reed seem to work better stock even with v3 i still went back to the stockers. for the money the v 3 are not worth it.
1 move to the forward mount post 2+ taller
2 higher seat (boss seats suck find some other vendor who cares about their customers)
3 snow eliminators
4 drop bracket's
5 vent the chit out of it
6 block off right side intake by the exhaust side
7 seal exhaust joints and out let in belly pan real good
8 check ground wire on motor to chassis for breakage and replace with #10 wire out of sjow cord (high compact stranding and very flexible and will not break due to vibration)
9 fill bar end full of foam to help keep heat in the hand warmers cuz they suck.
10 stock ski's are good if you put the doulleys from woodies on them.
11 replace the top gear with a new 20T and new chain.
12 grease all jack shaft and speedo bearing often.

good luck with the new ride and hold on tight and if the front end come up too much pull the limiter strap up one hole.:D

I disagree a little cause i really felt the difference between the V3 and stock reeds i found it really give her that bottom snap! Real seeat of the pants, "wow thats cool!!" return on the buck for me.

mattymac

Lifetime Membership
Apr 12, 2004
Sutter Ca.
Matty, What do you like on the 10 series weights over cat weights?

always liked the curve on the 10 series for twins. Ran em all on the 8/900 motors MTX, cat, poo 10 series, cutlers, speedwerx (which thier mid range weight is a carbon copy of the 10 series but are $$$$ and their bushings and coating on them suck!) Could tell a big diffrence in side by side comparisons between same setup sleds.

U

untouchable

Nov 27, 2007
Neihart, Montana
what size and drop brackets should I use on my 04?

It depends on if youre looking to put a 16 wide under it or not. The SJ are really nice and come with all the equipment to clear a 16 wide track (WELL WORTH IT). I made my own set of brackets and then fit a set of 8" bogy wheels to clear the wider track. The SJ backets will help with the rear transfer and eliminate some of the trenching.

So are you catching my drift that the 16 wide track is a good idea?.....

Premium Features