• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2010 800 Dragon-MID RANGE STUMBLE!!

M

metallicat

Nov 27, 2007
Rugby, ND
"My dealer had told me that the reflash has been done and waiting on the epa's desk for approval "

Mine said when he has been talking to Polaris, they are not even acknowledging there is a problem.

crf118r

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 29, 2008
Eagle, Idaho
So now there is an new updated flash?! What is going on? This is almost 3 model years and they still need another flash? It will probably work worse for those of us who have the pipe. Who makes this almighty PCV and where is "Jim's" info? I'm getting one and will curse Polaris every time I see it!

F
Nov 28, 2007
I went back into the dealer today and told them again there is a problem here. They said that polaris won't admit to a problem. I have less than 100 miles on the sled, I told the dealer I wanted my cash back. They laughed... I didn't. I'm keeping a running log of mileage on sled when brought to the shop/ days lost to sled being in the shop/and the dealers comments ( so far it's maybe..... bad gas, TPS, we can't duplicate the problem, haven't heard of any other ones with the problem) . Somewhere down the line this may end up in court. pretty bad when the first items I check in the sled to ride is a tow rope and overnight survival kit.

Dealer claims computer is set different for break in

Just got a call from the dealer on my 2010, 800. polaris has the sled programed to run different for the first 10 hours because of the oil that is added to the gas. sounds bogus to me:mad:

A

akrevrider

Jan 15, 2008
Wasilla, Alaska
Contact info for Jim at Dynotech Research- DTR

So now there is an new updated flash?! What is going on? This is almost 3 model years and they still need another flash? It will probably work worse for those of us who have the pipe. Who makes this almighty PCV and where is "Jim's" info? I'm getting one and will curse Polaris every time I see it!

Jim at Dynotech.

585-993-2777

http://www.dynotechresearch.com/

info@dynotechresearch.com

akrevrider

W
Dec 16, 2007
Had the same problem on my 2010 ASSAULT talked to my dealer about it and was told that the 2010 motor will start to detonate at 6000-7000 rpm....when it does this it has a tendency to foul plugs. I was told to avoid "cruising" at this rpm, and i haven't had a problem since. There was no mention of a re-flash or a fix anytime soon, and they didn't exactly sound proud about this situation.

A
Dec 11, 2007
FYI,

Everyone should read the Voltage Regulator threads before installing PC-Vs. There is potential for the VR to also take out the PCV if it fails, along with the ECU. Will your dealer replace the PC if you VR fails?

Not saying don not purchase the PC, just saying to be wary of installing it!

Just something to think about. :beer;

C
Dec 27, 2009
NO luck with the PC5

I installed a new PC5 from SLP and without buying a can and intake from slp they say there map wont work, another 650$ ontop of the 400 for the controller, i tried 2 other maps from dynotech, no luck with that or the 2 maps SLP sent me. I have about 170 miles on it and its still running like crap. im getting about 6 miles to a gallon of 91 octane. I havent had any luck with anything that me or my dealer have tried i am at low elevation and i will find out how it runs at elevation on sat

D
Jan 31, 2008
Yep same boat as everyone else I wonder if blending some race gas in the tank will help until polaris comes out with another reflash that wont work being a proud owner of polaris sleds for 15 yrs but i think its time to jump ship.

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
Yep same boat as everyone else I wonder if blending some race gas in the tank will help until polaris comes out with another reflash that wont work being a proud owner of polaris sleds for 15 yrs but i think its time to jump ship.

I think adding more octane over 91 is the wrong way to go...too much octane can hurt performance ...those with runability issues...just installing a new map/ or a controller is most likely not going to sovle your issues..for whatever reason something or things is out of wack..tps, air temp sensor, egt sensor, ecm, VR, ...I hope those with good running sleds will "lend" those with bad running sleds their Ecm's, pipes(egt sensor) and even clutches to isolate their problems...

G
Well you don't have to run the pcv or fuel controller. Polaris is bringing out another reflash that will be available in Canada first to address the midrange problem. Canada does not not have the same epa's as the US so looks like the Canadian machines will get fixed. As for the US machines maybe they will get it by the epa but if not then you will have to run a fuel controller in order to have it run perfect.

I'm from Canada, just wondering where you got your info? My dealer is pretty good and he hasn't heard squat from Polaris although they know about the problem. It would be great to get this 08/D8 snortin again. I wish I had not done the update cause this thing rocked when it was new. ( No BS ):(

R

R44guy

Oct 8, 2008
MN
www.mnhelicopters.com
PCV or Bust

As for the stumble or bog concerns? I know it is hard for some of us to swallow the $400 for a pcv but it seems to be the answer. The pcv fix's 95% of the stumbles and then a new fuel map adjustment will fix the other 5% besides give more power. It is also cheap insurance, IMO. This statement also excludes the VR & ECU failures. I am very happy with my pcv and it is well worth the dough, IMO.

Yes it would be nice if Polaris paid for the pcv? but with all the EPA changes things are only going to get worse for the 2 strokes and emissions in the future.

Has any one even heard of any one blowing up there sled after the pcv was installed with Jim's maps? Excluding the VR & ECU's as mentioned earlier? I don't see any other answers in the near future. I think it is only a matter of time until they are all 4 strokes? IMO.

It also sounds like when the VR & ECU's have failed it has not hurt the inline pcv's so far? But, please correct me if I am wrong because it would be interesting to know?

F
Nov 28, 2007
polaris (factory) customers service su$$s she said my "concern will be forwarded to the tech dept.". My sled spent another weekend in the shop. Mechanic called polaris techs and they told him that this was a high performance sled designed to be operated at wide open throttle. they were aware of the mid range stumble but that "may work itself out" ( basically get used to it) thats like owning a corvette and not being able to drive on the highway. I called the dealership owner and set up a meeting to get this resolved. Dealer was excellent, he had called the factory and was told by a higher up exc. that a new flash was coming by the end of the week. so I'm going to wait till monday to see if it's true before throwing 400$ more at this money pit. after that I'll be going the PC-V route and hope my engine doesn't need warranty work.

crf118r

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 29, 2008
Eagle, Idaho
polaris (factory) customers service su$$s she said my "concern will be forwarded to the tech dept.". My sled spent another weekend in the shop. Mechanic called polaris techs and they told him that this was a high performance sled designed to be operated at wide open throttle. they were aware of the mid range stumble but that "may work itself out" ( basically get used to it) thats like owning a corvette and not being able to drive on the highway. I called the dealership owner and set up a meeting to get this resolved. Dealer was excellent, he had called the factory and was told by a higher up exc. that a new flash was coming by the end of the week. so I'm going to wait till monday to see if it's true before throwing 400$ more at this money pit. after that I'll be going the PC-V route and hope my engine doesn't need warranty work.

Mine's on the way. I don't want to wait until it's too late and then not be covered since I have the SLP single installed. The Corvette thing is funny (not really). Had a Saleen S281 Extreme that wouldn't build the full 12psi of boost because the belt would slip due to the extra resistance (among other problems). That put me in line with the lesser SC model, but out another $35,000 with no performance gain over it (like my D8 being equal to a D7).The factory told my dealer I was crazy numerous times, but later I found out on the forums that it might have been a common problem. Car was in the shop for MANY various little problems about 15 times (and I am completely anal about others messing with my stuff), but when they finally fixed it, 2 years had gone by. I finally sold the car with only 2800 miles and will by a Z06 next time (maybe like Poo to a Cat)!! Kinda sounds familiar doesn't it??

N
Dec 23, 2009
Mine's on the way. I don't want to wait until it's too late and then not be covered since I have the SLP single installed. The Corvette thing is funny (not really). Had a Saleen S281 Extreme that wouldn't build the full 12psi of boost because the belt would slip due to the extra resistance (among other problems). That put me in line with the lesser SC model, but out another $35,000 with no performance gain over it (like my D8 being equal to a D7).The factory told my dealer I was crazy numerous times, but later I found out on the forums that it might have been a common problem. Car was in the shop for MANY various little problems about 15 times (and I am completely anal about others messing with my stuff), but when they finally fixed it, 2 years had gone by. I finally sold the car with only 2800 miles and will by a Z06 next time (maybe like Poo to a Cat)!! Kinda sounds familiar doesn't it??

It's funny how these factories have a tendency to be in denial of the problems with their products, especially when they don't listen to the customer who is using their product. A sign of arrogance for sure.

F
Nov 28, 2007
sounds like the new flash is out. just waiting the call from the dealer to come and get it. hopefully it works. they've had enough tries to make this thing right. sorry I've been so negative. but I've lost sleep on this problem kind of a helpless feeling. nice having the forum to know others are there to help with ideas.:)

D
Jan 31, 2008
still havent heard anything about the reflash yet got my A$$ handed to me by a stock 2003 artic cat F7 today wonder what there new 800 engine runs like if there old 700 can out run my 2010 800 I guess I know what ship im jumping on if this stumble issue dont get resolved really quick!!

Premium Features