• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

800 BB VES eats cooling water !!!

H

hilio

Nov 28, 2007
Hi guys, i need some help.

I have 2002 BB VES motor wich constanly keeps eating cooling water and blow white smoke on MAG side. I have already put in new cylinder base gasket and i swaped cylinder head o rings. Has anyone seen something similar like this ? Could it be the cyl it's self or the cranck case !

Woodsrider

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Alaska
Pull the drain bolts on front side of crank case if you get anti freeze out the crank might be compromised as it tends to clean oil off of the bearings.

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
If it's eating coolant and not pushing it out the over flow then it is on the "intake" side... which means it's not head O-rings. If head o-ring goes bad then combustion pressure will pressurize the system, causing it to puke coolant out the over flow, over heat, and the coolant will turn black.

So, the problem is base gasket or a crack in the cylinder. I have seen both. The crack would be a rare thing unless the cylinders have been ported.

Are you using the metal or paper base gaskets? Using any sealant on them? The bottom of the cylinder or the top of the case where they mate together may be warped which I have also had happen. If the cases and cylinders have been ported then the area around the water passage is often narrowed up dramatically and can be hard to get to seal.

When I have had leak issues like this I have pulled the motor out of the chassis, fully assembled. Cap the coolant outlet and put a hose and fitting on the inlet. Then apply 14psi of air pressure and do a leak down. Every single time I have been able to, in a quiet environment, listen and hear where the air is leaking. Then with a mirror and bore light look inside and find the location.

sled_guy

Premium Features