• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

? for those using the core exp 2.0 on snowbikes

chumbilly1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
So I am still riding/tuning my 300xc lt here in the cascades. Some later season snow and awesome weather has me out at least once a week for another month hopefully. I am running the exp 2.o on an 2011 xc 300. I have it modded as well as I know how. Increased compression,porting, fatty exhaust, sx ignition, Dicks taperbore carb with intellijet system. All in all I am very inpressed with the performance of the little smoker. Runs with 450s, sometimes it outpulls them, some times other way around. Definitely quicker in the trees and out of the hole, but may give a little up on big pulls if you don't start in the right gear,speed, throttle position etc. My questions are about the tuning of the core 2.0 rekluse. I am running the stiffer pressure plate springs per recluse, and I have a good handle on the free end play thing. My question is regarding the exp springs. I am thinking I need to go to the high engagement which would be all blue springs in the exp disk. Will this firm up the engagement and let it come up in rpms before engagement like a snowmobile with a stiff initial spring rate in the primary? Doe this work like it sounds? I am on the fence regarding the exp clutch for both dirt and snow. I don't use it like most, I still use my clutch like normal, and very rarely do I feel a positive from all the complexity the clutch offers.

R

Rush44

Nov 26, 2007
Flathead Valley, MT
You really won't notice the positives of the Core EXP as much in the winter as you would in the summer. Most people who install it for the winter have the mindset of "Well, now I really don't have to use the clutch" when, in my opinion, clutching in the winter is more important due to the extra load the track puts on the system. The Core EXP absolutely shines in the summer and is at the top of my list of mods that greatly benefit gnarly woods riding... it's really an amazing system in the dirt. Don't get rid of that Core EXP... just wait to put those tires on. The Rekluse on that smoker is going to be awesome when the tires go on.

Regarding the heavy wedges/springs setup... yes, those items do help to raise engagement and helps to strengthen the amount of load the clutch can handle without inflicting extra wear on the components. I like to run my winter idle a couple clicks higher than summer and with the heavy setup you'll notice the clutch stops pulsing at idle and makes it easier to find neutral when the bike is running. Every snowbike should have the heavy wedges/springs. Rekluse recommends it.

I have now run a season without the Rekluse, a season with, and then this season without. I hands down prefer to run my snowbike without the Rekluse in the winter. The beauty of the Rekluse Core EXP is you can have the setup installed and treat the bike as if it isn't there. You have normal clutch pull, normal clutch characteristics (except at idle with no load), and the added benefit of stall prevention.

Last edited:

sidehillsam

Lifetime Membership
Sep 24, 2008
Post Falls, Idaho
Rekluse Blue Springs

For higher engagement, I run all blue in a 530 with Rekluse 2.0. Because I increased idle rpm to help starting, the blues help hold off the clutch from creeping. Less creep and clutch drag at idle also makes it easier to find neutral. Changing the small springs should have little effect on clamping force.

Premium Features