• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

adding mechanical reverse?

B
Oct 14, 2009
chicagoland/yoop
I'm looking into buying a 99 sks or rmk 700. I can't find any that have reverse. I've seen people sell kits, are they hard to install? We already do all the wrenching on our other 4 sleds so I'm far from a noob but I thought this was significantly harder to do? any thoughts? I ride in the yoop and need reverse...

K
Mar 16, 2008
The kits are not hard to install, just follow the directions. In my opinion the mechanical reverse setups are problematic, they require a lot of maint. to keep them in good working order. I know more than a few guys that have been towed back to the truck because the reverse setup fell apart under hard acceleration.

D
Jan 4, 2008
MN
I installed reverse on my 00xc a few yrs ago. Because of the tipped in trailing arms alot of cussing and prying is required to install the cover. I heated the bellypan and pushed it out to make it easier but its still a squeeze. I beat the snot out of my sled and never once worried about chaincase failure or had any trouble with it. There is no doubt failure is possible when abused.

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
I installed reverse on my 00xc a few yrs ago. Because of the tipped in trailing arms alot of cussing and prying is required to install the cover. I heated the bellypan and pushed it out to make it easier but its still a squeeze. I beat the snot out of my sled and never once worried about chaincase failure or had any trouble with it. There is no doubt failure is possible when abused.

My edge cover was a PITA also, but easy overall install. I also beat the snot out of mine w/o any serious issues. Proper adjustment is required.

rmk727

Lifetime Membership
Oct 3, 2008
SO.DAK
IMO if you are not a fanatic at adjusting and checking after most rides, don't put it in they are a grenade waiting for the pin to be pulled

B
Oct 14, 2009
chicagoland/yoop
Thanks guys, I might just wait it out until I find one with reverse. Seems whenever I find a good one it's in the west and i'm in the midwest... PITA!

Guess I'll start a WTB topic over at the poo swapmeet section... thanks peeps

Premium Features