• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

'95 XLT will not idle?!?!?

I need some information from people that know their poo on Poo!

I have a '95 XLT and it will not idle. If you give it a little gas and it's fine, but let go it dies. Is there a way to adjust the triples? Any suggestions on the problem.

Thanks for your HELP!

S
Mar 5, 2005
Boise, Id
Easiest thing to check first would be the throttle safety switches. If this sled idled fine before and your key switch is working, disconnect switches up by throttle and see if that rectifies your problem. Understand, by disconnecting safety switches your kill switch will be inoperative also and you will have turn the sled on and off with the key. If this appears to correct the problem chances are your throttle cables needs adjustment. Hook switches back up and adjust cable as needed. If this isn't the cause I would be looking at the pilot circuit in the carbs. Betting its the switches though...

Bingo! The second I saw kill switch, I knew you were on the right track. When I picked this sled, the kill switch was disconnected. I connected it, but the sled wouldn't start. I cleaned the ground and it worked...but it wouldn't keep the idle.

Now, in my very uneducated look at the throttle, I don't see where you adjust it. I don't really want to screw this one up and send my sled crashing through my garage's wall. :D

Thanks for you HELP!

I was able to tighten the throttle and now it idles perfect. If you could still let me know how YOU would tighten the throttle, just to make sure I did it right.

What is the little button between the throttle and the block?

Thanks again for the help.

wrtmani

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Kalispell, Mt
The little blutton in the block is the throttle safety switch. If for some reason the lever returns to idle and the carb slides or cable does not retutrn to idle it shuts down the motor. To test it, hold the throttle lever against the block while the motor is running and put pressure against the pivot pin of the lever so it pushes the pin away from the block. Now try opening the throttle lever. If the switch is operating correctly it will shut down the motor.

Premium Features