• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Fuel tank ratchet straps, shorten or leave long?

IShartd

Premium Member
Nov 30, 2007
Alpine County, CA
I concur with Ishartd about tie down risks. A novice friend of mine showed up for dirt biking with his ratchet tie downs (hate those things). I made him return them for the cam-style just because the buckle is lighter. By the same token, no strap at all is even better if you have something to lock directly to.

I'm going to look into those Roto cans but it seems 1 gallon is a little too small = 3.8 litres. Canadian Tire has a 5 litre Scepter can that fits between the rails perfectly. However, my KTM 300 has an 8.xx litre tank so if I run down to reserve I want to be sure I get back. Two gallons gives that assurance = ~ 7.6 litres. Does this Roto brand have a 2 gallon that would fit well?
cant speak to the larger roto Pax tanks, but like I said they are stackable. At some point you gotta do the math. My 3.2 IMS tank I think was 240, still not enough for long days, but perfect for 75% of days. So if you spent that on spare fuel storage your ahead of the game, no modifying fuel lines, pumps, plastics, etc. Not to mention the ability to carry that weight low. 3.2 is fat, side panels don't fit all that good and catch branches because they kind of hang out there, already broke one. I personally would not do it again and would opt for a bada## spare
fuel setup.

IMG_7147.jpg

N
Mar 21, 2016
NW oregon
Don’t forget about the 2 gal boat fuel tanks. They have stand pipes and vents in them so you can actually plumb them into the fuel system which means you never need to remove the tank from bike. I rode all year this way and it worked quite well. I even have the spare tank feeding the main tank through it’s vent hole so I don’t even have to switch tanks. They are also made to strap down and are very sturdy tanks meant to bash around in little boats all day. One less thing to do on the mountain and no worry about frozen buckles.

DC44541E-F030-40CB-B913-71442CB9A202.jpeg

Last edited:
B
the 1 gallon roto fits in the tray perfectly and they offer a stackable bracket. Tie downs in any form will inevitable fail, vibration and moisture, that's it. Plastic sinch brackets will break when it's cold when reef on them, tie downs in any form should be looked at as a temporary fix.

As the 1gal RotoPax is 15x10x4, neither the 15" nor the 10" will fit in the tray as the tray is only 8" wide.

Perhaps outside the rails of the Camso tray, but not within the rails as I have the fuel tank in right now.

IShartd

Premium Member
Nov 30, 2007
Alpine County, CA
As the 1gal RotoPax is 15x10x4, neither the 15" nor the 10" will fit in the tray as the tray is only 8" wide.

Perhaps outside the rails of the Camso tray, but not within the rails as I have the fuel tank in right now.

Sorry bud, your wrong. It fits perfectly.

IMG_7153.jpg

M
Oct 12, 2017
Toronto
Not so fast. I do not think Ishartd's photos shows the gasflask, it could be the 1 gallon model?? I think, as with all roto molded designs, they likely give you the largest dimension of 10" (which accounts for draft angle in their mold). In fact, our Camsos are closer to 9.25" between the plastic sidewalls, depending on where you measure. So perhaps the Roto 1 gallon model would fit as the flat face likely measures less than 9.25". So which one is it?

IShartd

Premium Member
Nov 30, 2007
Alpine County, CA
Not so fast. I do not think Ishartd's photos shows the gasflask, it could be the 1 gallon model?? I think, as with all roto molded designs, they likely give you the largest dimension of 10" (which accounts for draft angle in their mold). In fact, our Camsos are closer to 9.25" between the plastic sidewalls, depending on where you measure. So perhaps the Roto 1 gallon model would fit as the flat face likely measures less than 9.25". So which one is it?

It's just the rotopax 1 gallon, nowhere does it say gasflask, nor did I order it as such.

Premium Features