• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Fuel tank ratchet straps, shorten or leave long?

B
I have a Scepter 2 gallon fuel tank that fits perfectly in the Camso DTS 129 tunnel. I ran one ratchet strap to each hook in the tunnel on both ends of the tank handle. I have a lot of extra strap left as my straps must be 6' long,that for now, I have strung it though the hook eyes back and forth then tied it off in a loop. I only need about 3'.

My question is, should I cut (then melt off the tag end of) the excess strap so I won't have so much to loosen up anytime I might need the extra fuel or, should I cut the extra strap and just leave enough so if I ever need to strap something down I'll have the extra length to use? Or, should I leave all 6' strapped up as I may never know when I might need the straps?

What would you do?

Last edited:

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
I have a Scepter 2 gallon fuel tank that fits perfectly in the Camso DTS 129 tunnel. I ran one ratchet strap to each hook in the tunnel on both ends of the tank handle. I have a lot of extra strap left that for now, I have strung it though the hook eyes back and forth then tied it off in a loop.

My question is, should I cut the excess strap so I won't have so much to loosen up anytime I might need the extra fuel or, should I cut the extra strap and just leave enough so if I ever need to strap something down I'll have the extra length to use?

What would you do?

I believe you are overthinking every aspect of snowbiking.
You might have set a new record.

Boxers or briefs?
Flatbill or curved?

I’m voting for ya! ?

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Here’s my best advice.

Find snow somewhere and go ride.

c27b7b1daffe16ce22f25c9d32ac159b.jpg

This picture shows all the mods best.

In order of importance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C

capulin overdrive

Apr 25, 2010
LOL, that's pretty ghetto!

Think I like the cargo net better than the ratchet straps.

When I got my CMX they didn't have a tank figured out yet, and were working on going with a rotopax. I ghetto'd a can about like yours with ratchet straps, and couldn't get it to hold. Some how the strap hooks would hold good to the tunnel, and would work loose.

I'd trust good quality rubber tarp straps over the ratchet.

Anyways, run it and see what happens, but for long term I'd what something less ghetto.

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
Dude ! cut the straps before it comes untied and gets wound up in the track .

Kids these days

S

s.back

Jan 29, 2017
rohnert park, ca.
I would try and figure something else out. The metal on the ratchet will eventually rub a hole in the gas can. Keep trying you get it figured out.

B
I might get a set of 4 24" stretch cords and strap the can down that way. It would be a lot easier than dealing with a frozen ratchet on the trail.

I never even thought of my nice tie-off coming loose and allowing 3' of strap to dingle-dangle into my track.

T
Nov 1, 2011
Kingston, Idaho
I agree with cutting off the excess. I have had even my best attempt to secure the extra strap fail and get shredded.

Don't worry about the criticism on asking questions. That is what this forum is for. Last year was my first on a bike, and I tried to absorb as much knowledge from the other members as I could. In the end, take what you have learned and run it. You will pick up everything else you need to know through trial and error. I'll be the first to tell you that my best ideas in the shop turned into some of the most epic fails on the hill. My rigging this season is a lot different that what I started out with last year - from gear, to gas can, to tools, to where I carry my water. I'm sure you will find the same things. Personal preference is a big factor as well. None of the guys in my riding group have the same ANYTHING... But that is ok. Run what works for you and enjoy.

B
Thanks. I figure others may also learn from my questions and all y'all's great answers.

I figure that the strap is hella strong and that even if the ratchet part rests on the can, there is no movement to it and that the strap will be much better than a stretch cord of some type. I'll go home and cut, then melt the end of the strap so the tag end has no chance of getting wrapped in anything.

-unsound

Lifetime Membership
Oct 18, 2013
Fort Sask, Alberta
I for one don't mind people asking lots of questions on the board, it keeps the forum active and helps share ideas.

Anyways, I have a 5L jerry can strapped to my camso with a cambuckle tie down strap which I shortened up so its just right. It seems to work pretty well, no movement at all and has never loosened up.

Vincenthdfan

Lifetime Membership
Dec 22, 2008
Olympia, Washington
Im following this gentleman's lead on my fuel jug.

He bought all the strap components from Amazon and pieced his own straps together.

I've tried the ratchet straps on my sleds and they never stay put...I believe these straps are gonna be the ticket.

Camso fuel 1.jpg Camso fuel 2.jpg

M
Oct 12, 2017
Toronto
Im following this gentleman's lead on my fuel jug.

He bought all the strap components from Amazon and pieced his own straps together.

I've tried the ratchet straps on my sleds and they never stay put...I believe these straps are gonna be the ticket.

That seems to fit well, I think I have the same Pelican box too. Do you know the volume and model of that Scepter tank...is it a litre size?

I'm looking for something that's available in the Southern Ontario area.

B
Misha, the Scepter tank is 2 US Gallons and 8 Liters. It does fit perfectly in the tray.

I shortened the straps and will run them and see how it goes. I can't move the fuel tank at all with the ratchet straps on the can and the ratchet doesn't move either.

I would have gone with a RotoPax but the tray is too narrow for any of their fuel tanks. At least my spare fuel set up cost me $0, finally, a free accessory for this snowbike.

P1130195.jpg P1130196.jpg

IShartd

Premium Member
Nov 30, 2007
Alpine County, CA
Misha, the Scepter tank is 2 US Gallons and 8 Liters. It does fit perfectly in the tray.

I shortened the straps and will run them and see how it goes. I can't move the fuel tank at all with the ratchet straps on the can and the ratchet doesn't move either.

I would have gone with a RotoPax but the tray is too narrow for any of their fuel tanks. At least my spare fuel set up cost me $0, finally, a free accessory for this snowbike.
the 1 gallon roto fits in the tray perfectly and they offer a stackable bracket. Tie downs in any form will inevitable fail, vibration and moisture, that's it. Plastic sinch brackets will break when it's cold when reef on them, tie downs in any form should be looked at as a temporary fix.

M
Oct 12, 2017
Toronto
I concur with Ishartd about tie down risks. A novice friend of mine showed up for dirt biking with his ratchet tie downs (hate those things). I made him return them for the cam-style just because the buckle is lighter. By the same token, no strap at all is even better if you have something to lock directly to.

I'm going to look into those Roto cans but it seems 1 gallon is a little too small = 3.8 litres. Canadian Tire has a 5 litre Scepter can that fits between the rails perfectly. However, my KTM 300 has an 8.xx litre tank so if I run down to reserve I want to be sure I get back. Two gallons gives that assurance = ~ 7.6 litres. Does this Roto brand have a 2 gallon that would fit well?

Premium Features