• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Alpha skid warranty

T
Dec 3, 2014
Just over 100 miles on my new alpha. All I can say is WOW. But today the entire front shock mount busted off the rail and destroyed the shock at the same time. Is mine the only one? And if not what has cat said about the issue. Didn't hit anything that I know of, and bottom part of skid where slides are, is still in one piece. Rode about 11 miles out of the mountain. I didn't actually know it was broken until I felt the shock get sucked up in.

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Here's what Cat says about the issue.
"There have been many cases of suspension simply falling apart. There is no fault to the sledder even though it's early season and snow is really low. This is an amazing phenomenon and we have employed a myriad of engineers to fix this issue. We hope that rampant falling apart of sleds stops soon. Of interest is that the owners of fall apart sleds are under 30, less than 5 years of riding experiences have both facebook and instagram accounts."

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
One of my riding buddies had the lower mount break the bolt off but he was able to catch it in time, heli coil it and has been good. also broke a front arm which mangled the shock. All was covered under warranty. Hes also beating it with big jumps/drops and has close to 1000 miles on his alpha already, so hardly a suprise stuff is showing up on his sled.

T
Dec 3, 2014
Thanks for the replies. This is a demo unit for the dealer I work at, but I still am on the hook for any damages to the machine. I tried to upload pictures but the forum says the size is too big? If not covered I will just turn into insurance but still sucks as I have 2 more days left of vacation I can't even ride it.

P
Aug 14, 2011
Duluth, MN
I watched his shock mount break off and it was very anti-climatic. All he did was hop a little creek bed to the other side. The whole area was covered in snow it’s not like he beat on the thing. It almost seemed as if the shock locked up and when he impacted on the other side it wouldn’t collapse and the force broke the mount off. I’m just happy that sled was still rideable because there was no way we were going to be able to tow it out.

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
Here's what Cat says about the issue.
"There have been many cases of suspension simply falling apart. There is no fault to the sledder even though it's early season and snow is really low. This is an amazing phenomenon and we have employed a myriad of engineers to fix this issue. We hope that rampant falling apart of sleds stops soon. Of interest is that the owners of fall apart sleds are under 30, less than 5 years of riding experiences have both facebook and instagram accounts."

That would be the funniest statement any manufacturer of any product has ever written, "rampant falling apart stops soon" gave me a good chuckle :face-icon-small-win Think a statement worded like that would give all the suits a heart attack!

Pics posted on snapchat...

Last edited:

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
ranchester, wy - nashua, mn
Thanks for the replies. This is a demo unit for the dealer I work at, but I still am on the hook for any damages to the machine. I tried to upload pictures but the forum says the size is too big? If not covered I will just turn into insurance but still sucks as I have 2 more days left of vacation I can't even ride it.

I can't load full pics either I think the new phones are too high res
I can screen shot photos and load those

T
Feb 28, 2016
I bent my rail yesterday... Wheelying and going pretty fast hit the top of a broken off tree (about 10" in diameter) and put a nice bend in the back third of the rail right where the rubber strip is bolted in. Brought me back down to earth real quick but was able to tighten the track enough to ride the mile or so back to the trail and then the 15 miles of trail back to the pickup so I was impressed with that part. Took it in to the dealer this morning and was there for about 10 minutes before they said it would be covered under warranty and they should be able to get a rail by next week. Surprised the heck outta me but I definitely won't complain!

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
No problem posting large pics...
1c3f344fdef21aab0e808621e81550fd.jpg

TNTCOPP

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Buckley, WA
No problem posting large pics...
1c3f344fdef21aab0e808621e81550fd.jpg

Off topic ,but was that from your phone or computer? I gave up doing it from phone anymore. If they do load you have to click on the file to open vs. yours that is just there.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Phone, tapatalk.
Good spot for a cooker on the Ascender.
Curious if the failure rate on the Alpha rail will be close to the 840 ......? Lol
f3f8d1cd3817ecd68987b9d66b1e9cbe.jpg

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
I know I've bent/busted plenty of skid parts. I'll bet most of the failures would have happened with a 2 rail skid also.

eldereldo

Lifetime Membership
Feb 23, 2014
There have been a few, but seems most of them were from impacts, IE landing on a stump or rock, and would likely have destroyed a two rail system as well. Guess the one problem with the Alpha is since it is all once piece, damage any part of it and you need to replace the whole thing.

I wondered back when they announced the Alpha, how many people would actually pay attention to what Cat said about the usage it was designed for, I remember them specifically saying if you rode a lot of trail to your riding area, or were into big jumps etc that you should stay with a twin rail. Guessing a lot of people by passed that due to the excitement over it.

T
Feb 28, 2016
There have been a few, but seems most of them were from impacts, IE landing on a stump or rock, and would likely have destroyed a two rail system as well. Guess the one problem with the Alpha is since it is all once piece, damage any part of it and you need to replace the whole thing.

I wondered back when they announced the Alpha, how many people would actually pay attention to what Cat said about the usage it was designed for, I remember them specifically saying if you rode a lot of trail to your riding area, or were into big jumps etc that you should stay with a twin rail. Guessing a lot of people by passed that due to the excitement over it.

To be completely honest I was pretty glad that I had the single rail when I bent mine. A two rail skid probably wouldn't have ridden out. Plus the rail doesn't seem to be too much money around $300 on country cat but no where near in stock. I also questioned the trail ride in and out of where me and my group usually which is about 15 ish miles but it's a better trail sled than my 16 limited ever was. The only rough part is lifting up a ski in the corner and it stays that way for 50-100 feet farther.. I'm not too big into huge jumps but the few I had taken it off of it seemed pretty stable strong enough to take the landings

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
My guess is it bottomed out up front.
Can u see any marks on the rail or suspension?

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Riding down the smooth, flat, groomed trail, minding my own business and Boom! Out of nowhere, for no reason my skid breaks.

Premium Features