• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Hard to pull recoil starter when cold

A
Feb 16, 2014
The XM is much harder to pull over than the Cat M7 that I came from. Seems to loosen up a bit as it warms up, but somedays makes me dream of having E-Start!

I
Dec 14, 2001
Archer, Idaho
Same here on 2 after purchase installs of the pull cord on our E.S. sleds, 1 13' & 1 - 16' "X", next to impossible to pull my mod motor, but almost the same with our stock 16 X. It is a issue, dealer has found the add-on kit's are 2 versions old from what is installed new from BRP. We have a case issued to install the newest kit version to see if it makes a difference.

Will let you know what becomes of it ................

We rode last week and it was -27° in the morning and about -10° when we got to lot to start sleds, both 14 XM's. Both were very hard to pull, but about 6-7 pulls mine fired up. Other one wouldn't start for my buddy. As soon as I pinned the flipper one pull and fired up. My guess is opening up the intakes lessened the compression??? I dunno, but it worked.

I
Dec 14, 2001
Archer, Idaho
Same here on 2 after purchase installs of the pull cord on our E.S. sleds, 1 13' & 1 - 16' "X", next to impossible to pull my mod motor, but almost the same with our stock 16 X. It is a issue, dealer has found the add-on kit's are 2 versions old from what is installed new from BRP. We have a case issued to install the newest kit version to see if it makes a difference.

Will let you know what becomes of it ................
BRP is aware of the issue, both ours go in tomorrow for a different recoil assembly. Stay tuned ...........

eddy

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
Sammamish WA
Some oil brands are able to make the cold weather pull a little easier. From experience we know Blue Marble makes the cold weather pull easier, you might try something different and see.

Premium Features