• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Looking for good riding area in Grand Lake area

J

jpstrr

Mar 14, 2009
Midwest
Me and a group of friends are coming out to Grand Lake to ride, anyone got maps or any ideas on where to go up there, maybe some directions or highways GPS coordinants? Also where is some good Lodging.

thanks

W
Nov 26, 2007
Bay City MI
You can also find lodging right in Grand Lake and surrounding areas close by, just google "lodging grand lake". When are you going because right now the snow sucks BAD! You might what to consider somewhere else.

Here's a link to the trail map with coordinates:
http://www.sharetrails.org/uploads/Maps/TrailRideMap0208.jpg

There's 2 main ways to get around in Grand Lake:
1) Stay in a hotel or such in town, and snowmobile right from there. Or, trailer to Idleglenn and sled from there when the snow is poor.
2) Stay in Columbine Lake area, which is even closer to the trailhead, and the riding.
You can just google some lodging, and you'll find a ton. I prefer to rent a house so you can stretch out more with a group. I'm not a fan of hotel rooms, as there's nothing to do.

The snow is pretty poor right now. I went for a trail ride in GL yesterday, and it's pretty thin. You currently need to stay on the trail, as you'll run into land mines if you try to get off it too much yet.
If you're planning for January or later trip, the snow should be fine by then.

B

BackCountryBob

Aug 7, 2001
Arvada, Colorado
Go to snowmobilecolo.com which is the Colorado Snowmobile Assoc web site, then to trail maps. You have to click on the main map to find Grand Lake.

The snow will be alot better in late January--you can always go to Rabbit Ears to find good snow--about 1 hr drive from GL.

BCB

Last edited:
J

jpstrr

Mar 14, 2009
Midwest
thanks everyone, I was thinking of more back country riding, we have 2 summits and 1 m1000 and 1 m8 so we want to get to some good off trail riding. Is grand lake just trail riding, should we just plan on going to rabbit ears.

we aren't coming out till march so hopefully the snow will be better by then.

thanks again

Premium Features