• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

slp pipe and can corrosion issue

L
Feb 6, 2008
bonney lake wa.
I had a new pipe can ect. installed this fall and it is getting all corroded almost rust colored in lots of spots it looks 10 years old and its not even 6 months old.
This dose not appear normal others ive seen that are at least a few years old look new!
I store my sled in my garage and travel w/ a cover is it defective or? what gives?
Any ideas on cleaning up i tried a little alum polish and it didnt seem to work.

B

BadAftertaste

Jan 2, 2008
Colorado
www.jcbritish.com
Ceramic coatings need a lot of maintenance. Well, no a lot, but when compared to a coating that needs none, it's a lot.

Taken from the SLP installation instructions....

"To maintain your ceramic coated system, wash it with soap and water periodically (especially necessary after trailering it to and from your riding area on road that have been treated with salt and other ice removing chemicals). Salt and other ice removing chemicals will attack and eat away at the ceramic coating. This will result in rust coming through the coating. Typically you will notice this rusting after your snowmobile has sat for a period of time without the exhaust system being brought up to running temperature.

Periodically polish your ceramic coated pipes and/or silencer after each washing with an aluminum polish such as Mothers, Maas or Blue Magic aluminum polish....Do not use acidic cleaners!...." yada yada, "no warranty" blah blah.

I say sand all that crap off and hit it with a few coats of barbecue paint.

L
Feb 6, 2008
bonney lake wa.
i wonder if you could powder coat this stuff?
i really dont want to spend my time polishing this stuff like a set of rims i bought it for the performance not the bling!
thanks for the info,Layton

Premium Features