• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

09 M8 problem

L

Left front up

Dec 18, 2009
Miltona, MN
We got to cooke this morning and rode in from the east. This is my first trip on my this sled and ran great on way into town. When we got about a half mile from town someone in our group got stuck and when i pulled up it just bogged out and died. It would not start and when it did it was only running on one cylinder. At one point while towing it back i tried starting it and it seemed fine and of course after about 5 min it began falling on its face again. Any comments or suggestions would be great!

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
Wire short could be it. Check the tail light wires, I've seen them get cut while hauling gear in from the parking area.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
That's kind of weird. My 09 M8 did the same thing when I was in Cooke City. I attributed it to bad gas and it started working fine most of the time with the occassional hiccup.

Last edited:
S
Oct 11, 2010
Colorado Springs
i had a short in my tail light this past weekend, sled ran like crap,and died, but would start again, gauge went out, and blew the 15 amp fuse. i cut the wires to the tail light plug and used heat shrink to keep them from shorting again. Put a new fuse in and ran like a champ the rest the trip.

Is yours throwing and "wrench" codes?

05M7

Jan 2, 2008
im riding with left front up....we brought it into bearclaw bobs today. and he says mag has 65psi and pto has 35...wtf the thing only has 1700mi and only has a can on it. im so confused i really wana get it apart and see what went wrong...if only we could get pistons and **** here id have it back together tomorow

M
Oct 29, 2011
i had a short in my tail light this past weekend, sled ran like crap,and died, but would start again, gauge went out, and blew the 15 amp fuse. i cut the wires to the tail light plug and used heat shrink to keep them from shorting again. Put a new fuse in and ran like a champ the rest the trip.

Is yours throwing and "wrench" codes?

What year is your sled. A friend I ride with had the something happen. The sled had an issue with plugin on the guage not being sealed right. It was a cat recall. Look at the plugin on the guage and see if there is a rubber seal on plugin. Its not a tail light issue.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
im riding with left front up....we brought it into bearclaw bobs today. and he says mag has 65psi and pto has 35...wtf the thing only has 1700mi and only has a can on it. im so confused i really wana get it apart and see what went wrong...if only we could get pistons and **** here id have it back together tomorow

Call 307-587-6218, In cody and might have the parts 2hrs away. And one of the best mechanics in the area.

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon

wth...that ain;t right...you need air to get compression...any chance she ain;t getting the air.???...aww its just wishful thinking i guess...feel for ya bud

05M7

Jan 2, 2008
i did not i didnt even bother i dont have my tools here and were not driving 2hrs for parts. hes just gunna ride the proclimb and not worry about it till we get home.

Stuck reed make it have no air?

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
i did not i didnt even bother i dont have my tools here and were not driving 2hrs for parts. hes just gunna ride the proclimb and not worry about it till we get home.

Stuck reed make it have no air?

stuck closed..or restriction somewhere..(ice..snow..alot of it)but thats real wishful thinking...but it sure would be nice..head gaskets blown will lose compression..did your coolant go down..??...it just that with no mods the engine is a solid unit and you have not to many miles...but i would not be surprised if it was not a major and ended up being something surprising...keep us informed...!!!

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
ps....i sure hope they were holding the throttle wide open during the compression test...and or its often a good idea to squirt some oil in the cylinders prior to test because they can get cleaned of oil on cylinders with no starting issues and that can give weird results

Last edited:

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
ps....i sure hope they were holding the throttle wide open during the compression test...and or its often a good idea to squirt some oil in the cylinders prior to test because they can get cleaned of oil on cylinders with no starting issues and that can give weird results

Not common to lose compression, but when you bright up oil, was there any inn the sled

J
Mar 28, 2008
I had something like this happen

It was the packing in the exhaust can. It came loose and plugged up the hole. Same issues...

Premium Features