• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

HP to Weight Ratio

C
Mar 13, 2008
Los Alamos, NM
So I have a 06 M7 153, dry weight 465lb lets say 500 ready to ride and stock HP is 140hp (I know it's less at altitude but this is a rough calculation).

Last year I weighed 250lbs so hp:weight ratio was 140hp/750lbs=.187hp/lb

I lost 50 lbs (off my body) this summer so now my hp:weight ratio is 140hp/700lbs=.200hp/lb

At my old weight of 750lbs total, I would have needed 150hp to achieve the same hp:weight ratio. I figure it costs at least $1000 for 10hp.

Is my sled worth more money now?

Seriously is that the kind of gain I can expect, losing 50lbs effectively feeling like adding 10hp?:face-icon-small-dis

Hardass

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Troy Montana
I say yes 50 off your body will not only make your sled feel more powerfull but your ability to move around on it will be greaty improved .in my book you did the best mod out there

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
it does work pretty good like that, i know a few years back my dad and a buddy both had m7 153's.. same year, track etc. buddies had a can, intake, and gutted hood, so easily 25# less then my dads.. thing was rider weight, my dad was easily 75# lighter, and would ALWAYS outmark him. it does matter.

when doing power to weight it should always be rider/sled weight over power. as in reality, who cares what your sled weights without the rider, it doesnt work very well without a driver!!

and as for loosing the weight, good work, it will help a TON, makes you much more nimble and im betting riding will be a lot easier.

S

suitcase

Nov 9, 2008
In the great part of OR.
I had the same issue last winter, it was only 35lbs that I had lost. And I am here to tell you it was like night and day, on the way the sled performed. Along with the way I performed. You will have a noticeable gain in both. It brought me to a how new level of riding also..

C
Mar 13, 2008
Los Alamos, NM
I am excited for the ride tomorrow. It'll be the first time out since the weight loss and am looking forward to see how it goes. I have also become a lot stronger, but am wondering if the weight loss will hurt me throwing the sled around. I'll post an update after the ride! 2 ft of fresh that will have had 2 days to settle on a good base:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap.

L

lshobie

Oct 22, 2009
alot of people pay big money to lose weight off your sled, i did the same as you and lost 20 pounds - not as much but still significant, and I lighten my sled as well. Buy a lighter helmet too and lose another couple of pounds:)

C
Mar 13, 2008
Los Alamos, NM
The results are in . . . . Huge difference. I need new riding buddies now. Had to come home before I wanted to cause my riding partner got worn out to the point he said, "my legs are shaking, I can't go anymore."

I noticed I was able to just move quicker and it felt like the sled responded faster. I only climbed a couple times, the avy danger was pretty high, and I chickended out before the sled quit on me in both cases. Sooo looks like I saved myself some mod money this year, almost like a new sled! When I get the videos edited I'll post'em up.

Premium Features