• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

a 2nd "YamaCat" joint venture (Apex) sled??

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Has anyone caught a whisper about another completely new joint venture sled that Yamaha and Arctic cat might be working on, or even TESTING right now??

New Cat chases using the Yamaha Apex engine.??

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
If the talk is R1 motor (awesome motor) wouldn't that be old technology ? I'm really hoping for cutting edge technology. If anyone can deliver Yamaha has the ability.

DPG

D

doornenbal

Dec 3, 2007
That would suck ........ only because id have to sell the viper...... but the sled would be wicked

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
This is just pure unsubstantiated rumor..:face-icon-small-hap

But supposedly there is a NEW chassis that Cat has developed that Yamaha is testing.

The engine is an UNKNOWN.
Speculation is that it is a 4 cylinder out of an Apex.

It is possible its one of the BRAND NEW ENGINES we have been promised.

Whatever it is, lets keep our collective eyes open looking for something new on the trails this winter.

There may well be a NEW BEAST out there just waiting for us to discover it.

chris-brown-whistler-snowmobiling-locations.jpg

Last edited:
D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
This is just pure unsubstantiated rumor..:face-icon-small-hap

But supposedly there is a NEW chassis that Cat has developed that Yamaha is testing.

The engine is an UNKNOWN.
Speculation is that it is a 4 cylinder out of an Apex.

It is possible its one of the BRAND NEW ENGINES we have been promised.

Whatever it is, lets keep our collective eyes open looking for something new on the trails this winter.

There may well be a NEW BEAST out there just waiting for us to discover it.

chris-brown-whistler-snowmobiling-locations.jpg

So what your saying is if you see a sled running around with a full mesh bra over the hood disguising its logo...Follow It....if Cats building it I would assume it would be incognito around Cats test house in IP....They still have a test facility there ??

Some wireless spy cams at the facility could be the ticket :face-icon-small-hap

DPG

N

NM

Jan 3, 2003
Ponoka AB.
Yamaha has an opportunity to do something huge with a new sled. They have an awesome little (relatively speaking) 3 cyl engine which if was boosted, would be 160-170 hp.
Because this motor is lighter than the 1049, the chassis around it can be lighter. IMO we would see a sled that will be in Doo and Cat weight range, but should out perform them at altitude.
The biggest obstacle will be cost.

turbo800

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Northern,UT
I kinda thought the Doo 900 ACE would come out as a twin (think twin 450F dirtbike) instead of a triple. Talking to insiders, it was never meant for the mountain market, trails mostly...

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
One of these days we are promised several new engines.
Will be fun to see them when they get released.
For now we just have the rumor mill and hope...

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
I think Yamaha promised one new engine per year for the next 4 years? I can't remember the exact wording they used at the dealer show last year. Either way, we only know what we have right now so we need to make the best of it. I guarantee they are coming out with something cool in the near future, but I am not going to sell my sleds and wait by the keyboard for it to happen.

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
It's coming.... Years ago on this very forum we talked about lighter sleds with BB power...And every manufacture has delivered.

I don't know why I have the feeling that Yamaha will re-introduce a high out 2S motor in a ultra light chassis.....If you look at the profit margin alone a retail MTX Viper 162 is price pointed between a Cat ProClimb & Skidoo.XM 162's ...The difference being in which motor cost least to produce 2S or 4S ???....Clearly a 2S motor cost less to produce than a 4S motor....What ever Yamaha decides to do for motors if in fact a change is on the horizon keep it simple & ground breaking.

Heck if Cat can develop a niche four there 4S & 2S sleds certainly one would think Yamaha could do the same.

DPG

Last edited:
V

vector boy

Jan 5, 2008
Norfolk, NE
It's coming.... Years ago on this very forum we talked about lighter sleds with BB power...And every manufacture has delivered.

I don't know why I have the feeling that Yamaha will re-introduce a high out 2S motor in a ultra light chassis.....If you look at the profit margin alone a retail MTX Viper 162 is price pointed between a Cat ProClimb & Skidoo.XM 162's ...The difference being in which motor cost least to produce 2S or 4S ???....Clearly a 2S motor cost less to produce than a 4S motor....What ever Yamaha decides to do for motors if in fact a change is on the horizon keep it simple & ground breaking.

Heck if Cat can develop a niche four there 4S & 2S sleds certainly one would think Yamaha could do the same.

DPG

If you look at the motors Yamaha is using in their sleds, it's a variation of something already in production. Ie: rx1/apex and the r1, phazer and yz250f motors. The Nytro is really the only one that's somewhat different. I see the fz-09 motor coming into a sled this year. The new r1 motor next year to replace the apex. But, the apex is going onto 10 years old now. Will they drop the 4cylinder line, or update the motor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Premium Features