• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

thinking of buying a 13 pro 800

T

Tony skagen

Dec 17, 2010
just wondering how many people are having engine issues and also if there is a good fix for the driver . There is about 800 miles on it.

thanks

Always war

Lifetime Membership
Nov 9, 2012
Utah
1000 miles on mine, 800 on brothers, buddy bought a demo from dealership with 1500 or so. Zero issues, all oilers turned up 3 turns.

Buy it and ride man...their nice sleds!

longlugs

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2013
Northern Utah
I had the same decision to make three months ago. Buy a discounted '13 with possible issues (read this board from Nov-Dec 2012) or take a chance on a "full priced" '14. All '13's didn't have issues, but many did. So far this year, this board has been quite regarding '14 issues. I'm glad I bought a 2014.

I
Jan 21, 2008
Two Harbors, MN
2013 800 pro 163

I have 2,350 miles on the original clutch and drive belts that both have lots of miles left on them but I broke them in as Polaris recommended. One trip to Cooke City and one to Island Park last year. The motor is running great and so far I love the sled!

Last edited:

Always war

Lifetime Membership
Nov 9, 2012
Utah
I have 2,350 miles on the original clutch and drive belts that both have lots of miles left on them but I broke them in as Polaris recommended. One trip to Cooke City and one to Island Park last year. The motor is running great and so far I love the sled!

2350 is encouraging to hear.

goforbroke

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Highland, UT
You could buy all the new parts for a 2014 and put it on the 2013 and still be 1000s ahead. I've never had an issue nor ridden with someone that has had a problem and I ride with a lot of pros. Enjoy!

O
Dec 6, 2007
The cylinders on the '13 engine were improved. It seems like most of the '13's were set up to use more oil than previous years. I turned mine up three turns and ended up at 27:1. I will probably back it off half a turn and enjoy it.

The driveshaft should have a big clamp around it on the QD side, that is the fix unless you want to swap to a steel shaft with new drivers.

A-arms are glued on one end on both '13's and '14's which has been an issue for some. I bought my '13 last month with 5 miles on it. I now have 330 miles with a failed QD belt at 150 miles. Otherwise it s the best sled I have ever owned.

No matter which year Pro you buy, replacement pistons are going to be the thing that makes them live. I plan on a set from RKT this summer. On sleds ridden hard in the mountains I don't think you should expect more than 1000-1200 miles from the stock pistons. If one fails, you will be into it for nearly 10x the cost of a piston kit.

Just know what you are getting into. I saved $2000 over buying a '14 and I am very pleased with it.

M
Nov 27, 2007
manitoba, Canada
Closing on 2800 miles on my 13 rather fast

New top end at 2300 miles, low compression when I went to add a new head, so it got a freshen up under warranty.

Lost a qd belt at 700 miles, I think my own doing. Make sure to clean ice build up from the tunnel after the sled cools and you eat something at the drivers that could sink the titanic

Stage 2 SLP kit since about the 800 mile mark, stage 3 since the freshen up. Never a complaint From me on how it has performed

Ice build up sucks tho, see the thread I started on the differences I've encountered between powder coating suspension parts and the stockers

T

Tony skagen

Dec 17, 2010
Well I ended up buying An 2011 pro. The price was right and it has some nice extras and was set up at carls cycle. It has about 1000 miles,and the oiler turned up . Im hoping to ride it the rest of the season before I jump into the top end!! Any thoughts?

rrjames

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2012
Missoula, MT
Tony, ride it and enjoy. Go with a buddy so you can go home (preferably with a sled) if there is a problem.

Keep in mind internet forums are great resources but are also the first place people go when they have a problem. By nature forums will have more negative remarks than positive if there is a recurring problem somewhere.

I wouldn't say the motor on a 2011 pro is perfect, but if it was set up by Caryls (top end?) it probably has already had many of the concerns addressed.

I personally have not turned up the oiler on my 13 pro largely to maintain deniability if I have to make a warranty claim(knock on wood). I am at around 650 happy miles and expect that number to double by the end of the season. That said I will be thinking about turning up the oiler when I freshen it up during the summer per what my rebuild company suggests.

In my understanding most of the issues with the pro 800 motors (just like the dragons before) stem from cylinder skirts and pistons all being just a wee bit short. Coupled with big clearances this has been a recipe for disaster for some. I have heard of guys having 11's saying everything is cool at 2000 miles and guys with basically new motors on 13's blowing.

Go enjoy it and worry about the motor come spring.

M

mactheknife

Jan 22, 2010
Grande Prairie
I have a bone stock '13 with 1900 miles. Zero issues whatsoever. Checked compression this morning - 112 per side. Have not turned up the oiler for what it's worth. I'm very impressed with this machine so far.

Chad

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

montanagrizzly

Lifetime Membership
Feb 19, 2010
Polson, MT
I have a Stock 12 Pro with 2500 miles and not a lick of issues. Knock on wood. Never turned the oiler up and on the same belt! We shall see where this season takes me. lol!

Enjoy and ride it like you stole it....Damn fun sleds!

Premium Features