• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Water to air intercooler......... Closed loop

B

Boyko

Nov 27, 2007
Alberta
So I built tossed together another exchanger (sorry it is not on a cat but it is in the cat section). I left it gap between tha exchanger and the tunnel, hopefully it don't bung up with snow.

On my m1000 I went small on the exchanger (4X16) and it seemed hard to tune, I dumped some coolant out of it so the water to air cool was only abour 60% full, it run way more consistant and still helped cool the intake charge.

Rusty how is your settup working?

Cooler1.jpg

Cooler2.jpg

spoon

Wrenching to ride is half the fun
Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Kootenays, BC
Finally got my WTA sled finished and after seeing how Boyko had issues with only running a dedicated system with the small front cooler (similar to mine) I decided to run mine using engine coolant. I eliminated stock DeGas bottle and routed the coolant from engine through stock front cooler, to rear U-cooler via running board edges (CR tunnel) and back through to extra front cooler (below stock front exchanger) then to the intercooler and back to the engine. Pull after pull on hill and I/C is lukewarm only. This is with little to no venting on my hood (only have dash vents and still have headlights). Sled runs awesome and consistent. Just changed from Attitude box to Dakota Performance PCV and hope to dial it in even better.

Vertical-Extreme

Lifetime Membership
Sep 15, 2008
Airdrie, Alberta
www.airdriejudo.ca
Mine worked awesome from the day I put it on. It is amazing what it does for reed life. Mine had over 1000 miles on them when I pulled my motor and they look like brand new. I think the biggest thing with the closed loop is getting the size of the exchanger right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rusty rider

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2008
Middle of the West
I agree, need a lot of volume so that charge temps cannot overcome coolant temp. My system is holding a bit over 3 quarts. I have driven machine around with pump unplugged and it runs not nearly as well with it in operation.

Polarisrocks

Lifetime Membership
Sep 22, 2002
Eastern Wa
Well I am diving into the water to air intercooler system.. I have done some research and found a intercooler that draws heat 2.2 times better than the frozen boost type intercoolers. I am going to try and make a waterpump that will fit between the oil injection pump and the block. I have found a few options on impellers, I just need figure out what rpm the oil pump shaft rpm is.. Anyone?

rusty rider

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2008
Middle of the West
What inner cooler did you find? Need one for my m8 build too. I liked the frozen boost one on my tm1, worked very well, good throttle response down low still and kept it very cool. Shoot me a call Jim.

sledfvr

Lifetime Membership
Apr 7, 2008
NW MT
I just bought a cpc m1000 with a boost-it kit. Do these sleds have enough juice to run a big water pump for the water to air I/C? The one on my Apex works great and I'd like to put one on the m1000.

Premium Features