• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

02 700RMK engine dies after 1/4 mile

S
Dec 10, 2009
I recently had to tow my sled back to the trail head. Upon inspection of my plugs by a mechanic, I was told that I had burned a piston but when I pulled the head the pistons were fine. I replaced the head and bled the coolant, changed to synthetic oil and it fired right up. It ran about 1/4 mile and died like it did before I took it to the mechanic. It starts right back up and does the same thing. I was told it might be the sensor on top of the head. Any thoughts?

T
Nov 18, 2003
Reno Nevada
sounds to me like you are running the carbs out of fuel. Make sure you are getting fuel from your tank. Might be a bad pickup tube or a clogged fuel shutoff valve or a bad fuel pump.
That is why the plugs look like a burndown because it went super lean right before it shutoff

Chris

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
D7 POSSIBLE SOLUTIONS

I recently had to tow my sled back to the trail head. Upon inspection of my plugs by a mechanic, I was told that I had burned a piston but when I pulled the head the pistons were fine. I replaced the head and bled the coolant, changed to synthetic oil and it fired right up. It ran about 1/4 mile and died like it did before I took it to the mechanic. It starts right back up and does the same thing. I was told it might be the sensor on top of the head. Any thoughts?

1) Remove the fuel filter and see if you can blow through it.

2) Attach an old oil pressure gauge (duct tape it to the handle par pad) and connect it to the "schraeder" valve on the fuel line by the air box. Use an old a/c charge line from older cars, they still sell these at auto parts stores, then attach that to the oil /fuel pressure line

Monitor the fuel pressure going down the trail, mid 50's P.S.I. on the fuel pressure at idle or 100 m.p.h.

3) monitor the voltage on your gauge, dropping voltage indicates a stator going bad.

Not saying this is your problem, but we were out ridin yesterday, my bud's D7 was quitting intermittently, ended up being the friggin cable for his electric shield and/or the shield itself. (Yeah I'm enbarassed to ride next to him too, LOL) Just thought I would pass this along, POSSIBLE ELECTRIC SHORT ON THE HANDLEBAR HEATERS, TAILLIGHT, ETC. Try unplugging those to eliminate those possibilities

Hope this helps

Last edited:
S
Dec 10, 2009
Unfortunately it was the oil. I managed to burn it down for real this time. Both pistons are shot and one cracked cylinder. I will make sure the oil is flowing in the future. This is turning into an expensive lesson in troubleshooting.

Premium Features