• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Lets hear your STUCK OVERNIGHT stories

P
Jan 15, 2005
ND
I love hearing about these. What happened to cause this, what did you do to stay warm and safe. I'm the guy in our group that carries everything but the kitchen sink just in case we have an extended stay - haven't yet. It sounds dumb, but I sort of want to have it happen one time just to experience it.

M
Nov 26, 2001
laramie wy
this girl i found very attractive at the time ended up passing out on my arm after a night of fun. i stayed really warm and comfortable and then at dawn i realized it was not the girl i thought it was! did not realize how close to death i was.

Hunting trips have lasted a little too long out in the woods and I did not want to try to drag an animal 5 miles out so put up a fire and loaded up the ol .308 incase I was the only one that wasn't hungry. It is a long night when all you hear is twigs breaking and howling. Never been stuck overnight on a sled though.

Last edited:
M
Oct 24, 2008
Fort St James
I have one piece of survival gear that you're all going to laugh at, but could save your life. TAMPON!!!

We all know how much liquid these things can absorb. If you ever need to build a fire in a hurry, just dip in into the gas tank, and lay it under the kindling. If you don't have a lighter or matches that work, lay the sled over, pull a plug, then pull the machine over and let her do her thing.

I never ride without a tampon. Cause you just never know. LOL.

I laugh along with you, but I really do carry one.

P
Jan 15, 2005
ND
I have one piece of survival gear that you're all going to laugh at, but could save your life. TAMPON!!!

When you might meet that special someone that just ran out of feminine products.........

I carry one too, for fire starting of course.

P
Jan 15, 2005
ND
this girl i found very attractive at the time ended up passing out on my arm after a night of fun. i stayed really warm and comfortable and then at dawn i realized it was not the girl i thought it was! did not realize how close to death i was.

Sounds terrifying and yes that I have done, but never overnight in the mtns. :face-icon-small-coo

ragincajun

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Great Falls Mt

We all know how much liquid these things can absorb. If you ever need to build a fire in a hurry, just dip in into the gas tank, and lay it under the kindling. If you don't have a lighter or matches that work, lay the sled over, pull a plug, then pull the machine over and let her do her thing.

they help with the ocasional fluid leaks too!!!

mattymac

Lifetime Membership
Apr 12, 2004
Sutter Ca.
Im not one for carying tampon's but just wondering do you carry lites, mediums or mississippi rivers?

He carries the "Heavy Flow" kind....

why would ya carry any thing different? if ya really needed a fire and did that would you want to hope it was enough to get a fire going or know it was enough?

good idea never thought of it.

just in case i ever do get stranded any where ive got 3 cans of snoose, a small bag of lays potato chips, a .357 matches, a box of hand and foot warmers and one of those aluminum foil lookin hypothermia blankets

S
Feb 20, 2008

ahhh fat girls need lovin too alchole does amazing things.

B

BackCountryBob

Aug 7, 2001
Arvada, Colorado
Two of us spent most of the nite out back of Buffalo Park in Co. My sled went thru the ice and we could not get it out--about 3:00 PM. It was snowing so hard that we could not ride two up so my patner rode up to a high point in hopes to find cell service. I climbed behind using two avy shovels for traction.

We found a dead tree and built a snow pit up wind of it. Most of my survival stuff was still on the sled and my right boot was full of water. We did get intermittent cell but our batteries were too cold to give much of a signal.

We finally got a 911 operator who was a total waste. She finally patched us through to the Grand County sheriff, gave him our GPS and waited. We built a lean too and kept feeding the dead fall into the fire---and yes, I had several tampons plus steel wool to start the fire.

Long story short, at 11:00 pm we heard some sleds and got a cell call from S&R confirming our GPS plus we gave them our FRS station. About 1:30 three guys came up the valley and we hauled my sled out of the pond. There was initially 4 of them but one got stuck and they left him.

At 2:30 we rode into the main S&R group which had about 20 sleds staged with tobogans and a first aid station. We finally got out of there at 3:30.

Our Colorado sled registrations saved us $3,500 each for the rescue.

A few things we learned:

Carry more survival items like food saver bags and socks in my back pack. Once you get wet feet, they will stay wet but you can put dry socks on in a bag to keep them from getting wet again.

Don't count on 911. I now have all the county sheriff's phone numbers in my cell phone. Not all cell phones work in the mountains.

If you think you're in danger of sinking and it feel like H20, gassssss it.

Not a total over nighter, but close:rolleyes:

BCB

Last edited:

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
I belong to the overnighters club. There was 4 of us and we were prepaired about as good as you can be. The nights are long and cold. make camp where (if you have a choice) there is plenty of wood and shelter fromt he wind. Have more then one saw with you and more then onne way to start a fire.
Cell phones will work....the old analog phones work much better. you dont need to have a current contract on a cell phone to dial 911. I carry an old phone and a car charger that plugs into any sled.
We were on the mount for 30some hours but S&R did get us out. We got gps cords to them through 911. Eric

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
Two of us spent most of the nite out back of Buffalo Park in Co. <snip>

We finally got a 911 operator who was a total waste. She finally patched us through to the Grand County sheriff, gave him our GPS and waited.<snip>

Don't count on 911. I now have all the county sheriff's phone numbers in my cell phone. Not all cell phones work in the mountains.

Scary... glad you got out of that okay.

I was on a scout trip at buffalo park my first summer... there was a pack (tribe? flock??) of witches in the campground next to us, kept beating their drums and chanting all night long... very interesting trip.

I don't depend on my cellphone for much out there... I pack it and a spare battery, but in a situation like yours, my radio will be my friend.

Also, if you don't feel like going to the store and buying tampons... you can get free samples online, shipped to your door... or office, if you don't mind coworkers laughin at you... they do come in bright pink packages with "HERE'S THE FREE TAMPONS YOU REQUESTED!!!" all over it. No "discrete shipping" options with that one. Keep that in mind when someone online gives you their address, too. :)

G

Gimpster

You can also use them along with duct tape for a band-aid

----- Gimpster -----

Powderhound

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho
I have never spent the night, but I try to be somwhat prepared if I did. Almost everytime I ride I look around and think "what if I had to spend the night. " I imagine that it would take a crap load of wood. So my question is when do you give up on the hill that you need to climb to get out, and start hunkering down for a long night... What is the sequence? Fire first, get the snow cave built? Thoughts?

Premium Features