• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Lower shock bolt upgrade

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

Jon Mutiger

Lifetime Membership
Oct 20, 2010
Maple Ridge, BC
For the bolts I'm sending out, the proper torque for either the shock rod bolt, is about 20ft/lbs. The nyloc nut friction should be accounted for in that spec. So in general the total torque to be measured on a torque wrench should be about 25-30ft/lbs depending on how much friction the nut has once in the locking component.

The stock ski bolt tended to loosen off, regardless of the torque applied, I recommend checking that ski bolt often!

Last edited:
T

thewayout

Jan 22, 2008
If you'd like to source your own replacement bolt the correct bolt is a 3/8" Grade 8, 2 3/4inch. This will give full shank engagement. The only problem is the bolt will be to long and you will have to cut the threaded end and the clean the end. Easily done in a few minutes with a hacksaw and file. You'll need also need two standard washers.

installed a 15 lt kit on a ktm 450. used the stock lower shock bolt. get a locking nut and couple washers. Its .015 larger and is a perfect fit with spacers Had to clean up subframe holes to get bolt to slide thru

Jon Mutiger

Lifetime Membership
Oct 20, 2010
Maple Ridge, BC
My supplier has stock of the undrilled ski bolt again. Their lack of supply didn't really affect anyone up until now, as I was shipping from the eastern warehousewwhile the west was out. Delivery times will be even better now.

Jon Mutiger

Lifetime Membership
Oct 20, 2010
Maple Ridge, BC
Thanks for the support everyone, If you have a kit and haven't upgraded these 2 bolts, it would be a good idea to, seriously!

Jon

Jon Mutiger

Lifetime Membership
Oct 20, 2010
Maple Ridge, BC
Hopefully everyone who has been on my bolts have had zero issues, I haven't heard of any ski spindles elongating yet. I know it will happen, but will be much longer than had it been a stock bolt.

I can't believe how many have gone out, it really far exceeded my anticipated demand.

Thank, guys and there are still more if you need them.

Jon

dirtrebel

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2008
Bozeman, MT
just in case anyone does not understand the importance of this upgrade, check this out! I was doing a little kit swapping and looky what I found! This was the lower strut rod bolt off a 14 longtrack kit that was bought new in march and ridden 3 times last spring! Granted the last ride was on super bulletproof hardpack, but the rider did not do any jumping! Luckily I have heeded Jon's advice and got a longer bolts for strut and ski for my kits but I was surprised to find this after only 3 rides on this particular 14! Below are the pics and the last pic is of what a proper bolt should look like. Thanks for the heads up Jon!

GOPR0140.jpg GOPR0144.jpg GOPR0142.jpg

Jon Mutiger

Lifetime Membership
Oct 20, 2010
Maple Ridge, BC
Glad you caught it in time, great pics!! Wow.. Ok, while in the wrong thread, I think Timbersled should take note and at least supply the right friggen bolts in these key locations going forward.

Jon

SteepNdeep450

Lifetime Membership
Jan 1, 2014
Bozeman, MT
Glad you caught it in time, great pics!! Wow.. Ok, while in the wrong thread, I think Timbersled should take note and at least supply the right friggen bolts in these key locations going forward.

Jon

You still shipping these out? Just bought up a used 13 kit lightly used havent checked the saddle yet.

N

n16ht5

Aug 5, 2013
Pemberton, BC
I may have found a better solution
upload_-1.jpg

Jon Mutiger

Lifetime Membership
Oct 20, 2010
Maple Ridge, BC
Yup, I'm still shipping if there is demand. Send me a note with how many of each bolt you'd like and where they would be shipped to so I can quote it out delivered. There is a ski bolt and a lower shock rod bolt upgrade.

Thanks,

Jon

Jon Mutiger

Lifetime Membership
Oct 20, 2010
Maple Ridge, BC
They did? Lets see some pics of those new bolts before we assume the issue has been addressed.

Either way, the bolts are still available if anyone has a kit with stock bolts still.

Jon

Chadx

♫ In the pow again. Just can't wait to get in..
Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
Bozeman, MT
Since their new website is still being worked on and, unfortunately, all of the valuable information on their old isn't readily available, I took a peak in the archives because I thought they had mentioned it on their "what is new for 2016" page before they replaced it with only a few pictures like on the current site. Here is what I found...it looks like they mentioned it for the TSS system, but did not specifically mention it for non TSS. There were pictures at the time, but the archive website doesn't seem to have them.

Paste:

New Strut Rod Lower Bolt
The strut rod bolt is used to mount the lower end of the TSS or solid strut rod to the Mountain Horse main frame. Our new HD Strut Rod mounting bolt has full shank engagement on the load bearing areas, and utilizes a new longer counter-bored fine thread nut that spans past the threaded end and over the shoulder of the bolt as it hangs through the sub frame bracket; making it much stronger to withstand the loads between the motorcycle frame and snow bike kit.
- Comes standard on all 2016 models
- Available as an upgrade for all 2011- 2015 ST and LT models

Link:
https://web.archive.org/web/20150906071344/http://www.timbersled.com/sbwhatsnew2016.htm

Premium Features