• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2004 king cat clutch tuning advice

R
Dec 18, 2010
just picked up a 2004 1M900 162 bone stock with the exception of a mbrp can planning to rebuild the clutch etc etc while waiting for snow ..riding will be primarily tight woods boondocking with very minimal long high rpm climbs low elevation 3-4000 ft tops w/ extra gas me and gear my load avgs 300 lbs temps usually from 10-30 deg F

i love my stock xp clutching and want this to be as smooth and gentle as it is on belts ..900 mountain cats i've ridden with in the past woulid get so hot the belts wouldn't even grab anymore ...please could someone help me with a good combination of gearing primary and or secondary clutch/jetting options for these conditions.. thanks

A

Arctic Thunder

Dec 7, 2001
Lewiston, Idaho
EFI or Carbed? IF carbed start out with 360 mains, you might get down to 350's at 4000'. Also make sure your needles are in the middle slot, and blip the crap out of the throttle in the midrange. It will run really hot if you hold it steady at 6000 rpm.

Clutching, for that elevation and what you want I would suggest a 51 deg helix and the red secondary spring in the loosest hole.

Stock 19/43 gearing.

Pretty much stock primary. You might be able to pull a spring with a bit softer finish rate at that elevation. With the stock starting rate. (or you could change weights, 1-3 grams heavier than stock.

If you want more of a drag race feel go to a 53 or maybe a 55 helix. Will be harder on belts when climbing but will give you more arm pull on the trail.

Thunder

Premium Features