• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2004 King cat 900 Clutch issues

M
Nov 15, 2020
Total newb here with my first sled so bear with me... Bought a used king cat 900 EFI and engine seems to run pretty well. Took it out for the first ride yesterday and I couldn't get the clutch to engage. A little bit of throttle gets a little movement on the track but much more than a crawl and I dont get anything. If I go maybe half throttle or more it catches abruptly sometimes. Is this a clutch issue? Maybe my belt is loose? Measured about 1.5" of deflection on the belt. Like I said I dont know much about sleds but somewhat know engines and am hoping to get some guidance on general direction to look for issues. Thanks!

R
Nov 30, 2007
helena, mt
Make sure belt is for the machine. Check belt tighteness. Check for broken primary spring. See if moveable sheave is binding/stuck. Does track roll without too much resistance?

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
mark the cover with the moveable chiv so you can take it apart. you do not need a spring compressor just put your hand over it and undo all the bolts. pull the belt and cover push the chiv in and look at the weights and roller and i bet you will find this clutch is shot. to put it back together just compress it by hand and start 2 bolts one on oppsit side from each other and work back and forth until flush then put the rest of them in. no locktite or over torque. post a picture will help with it apart

Premium Features