• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Boyesen Rage Cages/SLP Stage III - Worth Doing?

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
I have a 2015 M8000 153" with a SLP single pipe, MDS weights and a PCV. I also have a 3" Powerclaw, lowered Mountain cat chain case and a belt drive system. I rode the 2018 for 30-45 minutes and then my sled back to back and was surprised that I actually preferred my current sled. I am looking at improvements for next season. There are only a couple things I am looking at but, I am always open to fresh ideas.

Are Boysen Rage Cages or V-force reeds a worthy improvement? They say they makes several HP.

https://www.speedwerxstore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=3241

Maybe a SLP Stage III engine mod? I have done this one before on my 09 with V-Force reeds and it worked well but, I'm not super comfortable or excited about doing it again.

Maybe upgraded side panels?

Maybe thinner running boards should be on the list but, with the Mountain Cat chain case the sled seems to sit higher in the snow and running boards haven't been an issue for me thus far.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Have you guys compared them to V-force reeds?

I had them in my M8 with the SLP stage III kit and they worked great but, I hear and read that the Boyesen's are even better.

Are they?

scratley

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Star Valley WY
Went through 2 sets of Boyesen's this past winter, I see the new cat motor has reed stops, similar to V-force, I am running a big bore. Find it hard to believe I'm the only one having issues, well at least according to BDX. Going to try cat 1000 stock reeds or V-force next year.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Well now I've done it! I called Boyesen and spoke with them today. They happen to have some cosmetically blemished factory second Rage Cages for an awesome price. I thought, who is going to see them anyway, and I just couldn't pass up the deal so I ordered a set of Rage Cages regularly priced at $329.95 for $214.47. Here's a link to their overstock sale for anyone else looking for an amazing deal.

http://www.boyesen.com/overstock.ph...make=Arctic Cat&class=&product_category=&pic=

R
I also have never had any issues with them breaking in my sleds. I immediately put them into my 900 mod I had also with great luck, no problems.
My new 1010, I tried Vforce because a lot of engine builders like them, I tried them, then put in 900 Rage Cages, big difference.
I definitely noticed a difference between both.
Ya, not so fun to install on a newer 800, but well worth it.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
My question now is, since I have a SLP single pipe and the SLP map for my Power Commander V for the pipe, do I need a new tune from SLP or someone else once I add the rage cages?

A
Oct 30, 2008
More prone to break then stock cat reeds? I see stock ones chipping all the time around 500 mi or so
Hmm, never had problems with stock petals?
Boyesen might last 2races. They crack and drop big pieces.
Talked to a reputed tuner, he has stopped selling them to stock sleds as well. Too many upset customers.
I will never use them again, to much headache on raceday!

Just my experience.

Skickat från min PLK-L01 via Tapatalk

Speed Shop Inc.

Premium Member
Nov 4, 2009
Cannon Falls, MN
www.speedshopinc.com
I have used both v force and boyesen, and we offer both brands. But for the Cat 800, the boyesen rage cages work the best for sure. I have them in my 950. We have been using them on the prolite 900 and 950s for several years now too. I find them to last a very long time on the Cats. They work.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
I received my "Factory Second" Rage Cages and it took me several minutes for find the small machine mark on the outside of the aluminum case and a light scratch on the other one that their QA rejected and deemed as a factory second. The slight scratches will have no effect whatsoever on the performance of the Rage Cages. So if buying a factory second concerns you, I wouldn't be. There is nothing to be worried about, they will perform just fine.

scratley

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Star Valley WY
Mine at 300 miles, last ones looked about the same, the glue is not working and the yellow portion of the reeds are flipping up and then breaking off. My 900 bikeman had zero issues, the 920 seems to put a lot more pressure in the case and blows them out.

20170307_171848.jpg

Last edited:
A
Oct 30, 2008
Mine at 300 miles, last ones looked about the same, the glue is not working and the yellow portion of the reeds, and is flipping up and then breaking off. My 900 bikeman had zero issues, the 920 seems to put a lot more pressure in the bottom end and blows them out.
Exactly what Ive seen!

Skickat från min PLK-L01 via Tapatalk

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
I still haven't installed the Boyesen Rage Cages but, that will be done soon.
Like most subjects, there seems to be two camps.
Does anyone else have any input?

Suzzy-Q

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Mackenzie B.C. Canada
If you have ever installed v-force and boysen reeds, you will probably go with boysen rage cage, direct bolt in, no modding stock pieces and heck if you ever had a problem you could toss your stock one back in, unlike v-force

Premium Features