• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2009 M8 - SLP Pipe and Intake OR RKT Bolt on 15hp Kit

E

Evolution Powersports

Nov 23, 2006
It looks as if these two options give similar horsepower gains.
Next year I plan to do a few mods to my 09 M8. Love the sled, power is only so so.

I have read quite a few posts about SLP's pipe kit. It seems most are pretty happy with it.

I have not read any posts on RKT's bolt on 15 hp kits good or bad.

I have had good experience with both companies.

SLP pros: do not have to tear the engine down
SLP cons: sounds there is quite a bit of messing around with heat tape and hood mods. Plus I already melted a bunch of stuff underhood with the stock pipe. It is hard to imagine how an un clamshelled pipe is going to be.

RKT pros: Higher compression head - maybe more bottom end power?
RKT cons: Have to tear the engine down. Hate to do that on a sled with 350 miles on it.

Am I missing anything? Anyone have direct experience with RKT's kit?

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Just installed an slp pipe/can and intake on a 2009 HCR. Install was a breeze IMO. I used a utility knife and heat gun for the intake. Heat taping everything isn't too bad either...

M

m7ryder

Sep 26, 2009
why do the instructions for the slp pipe kit want you to remove the heat shield above the injectors??? And then tape them up. Is this pipe that tite of a fit???

T

TheBreeze

Jul 23, 2008
Sussex, Wisconsin
The heat shield is bent to allow clearance for the pipe. Last i checked, they wanted it kept on the sled.

In my opinion, the SLP pipe install is pretty easy and does give some gain, but the fit is not optimal. I think the RKT hood lift is a necessity if running the pipe for fit clearance, and to vent under hood head to avoid melting junk under the hood. I ran my 08 all season on some pretty deep days, and never melted anything under hood.

C

claydogm8

Feb 14, 2008
Ridgway, Co
I installed the RKT head on my 09 m8 and LOVE it! It pulls a lot harder than stock and the install was easy. And the sled only had about 100 miles when i put it on. I would highly recommend it also have the RKT seconday with the BDX intake and the sled is so fun.

R
Nov 26, 2007
I installed the RKT head on my 09 m8 and LOVE it! It pulls a lot harder than stock and the install was easy. And the sled only had about 100 miles when i put it on. I would highly recommend it also have the RKT seconday with the BDX intake and the sled is so fun.

Were you able to choose the level of compression for your head when you purchased the rkt kit? What did compression did you go with? What elevations do you ride?

K

killerrf

Nov 27, 2007
sk
The heat shield is bent to allow clearance for the pipe. Last i checked, they wanted it kept on the sled.

In my opinion, the SLP pipe install is pretty easy and does give some gain, but the fit is not optimal. I think the RKT hood lift is a necessity if running the pipe for fit clearance, and to vent under hood head to avoid melting junk under the hood. I ran my 08 all season on some pretty deep days, and never melted anything under hood.

if you have an aftermarket intake and can remove the stock pieces there is lots of room. no need for a hood lift.

C

claydogm8

Feb 14, 2008
Ridgway, Co
When I ordered the head Kelsey from RKT recommedned the 14:1 and I ride from 7000' to 13000' but you can get any domes you want i think.

Premium Features