• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2002 RMK 800 Pull Start Replacement

F
Brand new to the forum, my question is my pull start does not engage, it pulls straight out with no "engaement." I obviously assume it is probably the spring, I started to go after taking the assembly apart and started to wonder if it is a "simple procedure," or rather extensive? Should I order a complete pull start assembly or??? Any help would be most greatly appreciated. P.S., the Powder on the Eldorado was all untracked for us yesterday.... just glad this happened in the lot while we were loading up.

B

Bubba700

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 26, 2007
Rexburg ID
Does it suck back in? Does it just not engage with the flywheel?
If it doesnt pull back in its just the recoil spring. Should be around 30$. 30 min to do, pull the pipe . 2 studs to pull the oil pump off. THen 6 bolts to pull the recoil off ( yes the one on the bottom can be done with the motor in the sled).
If it pulls back in and just isn't engaging when you pull it then it may be the lil small spring that flips the arm out when you pull the rope.

S
Dec 27, 2007
Aberdeen, SD
Does it suck back in? Does it just not engage with the flywheel?
If it doesnt pull back in its just the recoil spring. Should be around 30$. 30 min to do, pull the pipe . 2 studs to pull the oil pump off. THen 6 bolts to pull the recoil off ( yes the one on the bottom can be done with the motor in the sled).
If it pulls back in and just isn't engaging when you pull it then it may be the lil small spring that flips the arm out when you pull the rope.
Good info here! I might add that if you played in deep powder all day and just noticed this for the first time in the parking lot it may have just filled with snow/ice and just needs to be thawed out in a warm garage or with a hair dryer.

R
Dec 2, 2007
Libby, Mt
Also if it has never been apart before it could just be the grease polaris puts in there, mine did the same thing pulled it apart ,cleaned it, put some new grease in and it worked fine. And may as well put a new rope in while you are in there.

B

Bubba700

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 26, 2007
Rexburg ID
Good suggestion redneck, another thing, while your in their, good idea to check the water pump belt. Also what ever you do don't take the spring out unless you have to change that part out. If you do, the new one will have a tie on it. Put it down in the recoil housing before you take the tie off other wise it wont take you just 30 min ;)

F
Thanks for everyones help, I'll get on it this morning... The pull cord does suck back in. Its funny ya mentioned the water pump belt, I'm planning on replacing that as well as per my buddy. Well, I guess its a blessing we are getting rain up over 8000 ft, or else Id be even more torqued. Again, thanks everyone.

Last edited:

jsledder

Lifetime Membership
Jul 9, 2001
SD
www.outdoorsupplyonline.com
Also what ever you do don't take the spring out unless you have to change that part out. If you do, the new one will have a tie on it. Put it down in the recoil housing before you take the tie off other wise it wont take you just 30 min ;)

If you've never had one apart.... Read that statement again and again...:D

Doesn't sound like it's the spring though. More than likely a Pawl, $3.00 or get the kit for about $11.00. Also, I'd recommend some good rope, like the SLP stuff, while your in there.

Good luck.

F

frog

Feb 16, 2009
MN
As long as you have the resoil off and if it has never been done I would replace the water pmup belt cause that bugger also runs the oil pump. At the least varify that it is a minimum if a 1/4" wide and look for belt dust, some is normal but should not be everywhere. If it were me I would slap a new one on to be safe.

Premium Features